Unprompted camera movement...
817 7 2015-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Whispermode
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hello All,

I recently set the I1 up to test the timelapse functionality (placed on table and not touched/jogged) and observed unprompted movement when I put the image sequence together. Shot in 10 second intervals over about 25 minutes and there's a boatload of movement around the axis.

I've since noticed that if I look at the FPV in the first few seconds of starting the unit up, the camera drifts very slightly, almost like it thinks the I1 has moved in 'Follow' mode.

Any one else experienced this?

I've tested in ATTI, too, because I thought GPS corruption may be playing a part, but it does the same... haven't tried 'FPV' yet.
2015-8-14
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Yes, I noticed that the camera sometimes starts "drifting" sideways as it rests on my living room table ...
It drifts a bit and then comes to a stop.
2015-8-14
Use props
Whispermode
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Strange right? ...or a 'feature'... If you wait for a while, it will start to move again.

I've raised this with DJI and they've asked for an example, but wanted to check here first.

Anyone else experience this?

2015-8-15
Use props
skycam
lvl.4

Australia

Whispermode Posted at 2015-8-15 16:34
Strange right? ...or a 'feature'... If you wait for a while, it will start to move again.

I've rais ...

Its a common problem.... i call it.... LAZY GIMBAL... i don't understand why DJI have not fixed this... along with the horizon issue....
2015-8-21
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1699081 ft
  • >>>
United States

When was your last IMU?   Perhaps run a cold IMU in the same location you are shooting photos if possible.   A cold IMU is accomplished by cooling the I1 if possible over an AC vent (or outside if the temps are low) for 15-20 minutes while not powered on.  It should at least be room temp before starting the IMU.  I suggest having the app and RC on, opened to the IMU calibration screen, ready to go.  Then place the I1 at the desired location, power on, and begin the IMU calibration as soon as possible.   After the IMU, I arm then disarm then power off (habit).  Then power on and try your pictures again.  

2015-8-21
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Mine has this lazy drift too.  Initially I thought it was the inspire itself in a very lazy yaw with zero stick inputs, but it will exhibit this behaviour, grounded on a bench, so must be the Gimbal.  This is not a show stopper but it makes long exposure shots and even burst AEB to recombine as HDR almost impossible.  I can stop this effect very briefly by giving the inspire a little nudge in Yaw in the opposite direction of the drift, but as I said, it is a temporary fix only, as the drift will restart itself before long.
Please fix this DJI.

Jason
2015-8-22
Use props
Whispermode
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks, guys - interesting information. @mixmaven - I'll give this a try.

...I guess it's kind of irrelevant because I'll never use the I1 for static timelapse, but it is indicative of a problem.

2015-8-22
Use props
Theo ter Haar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20730951 ft
Netherlands

Wow what a coincidence that you all mention this, I made a bugreport on this in the previous Beta-test.
Never heard anything again.
What has the IMU to do with weird acting gimbal or cam?
R&D's there is work for you to investigate and some info on the technical side as well.
Thank you
2015-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules