Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad Mini 2 w/ or w/out wifi/cellular ?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
storm1000
lvl.1

United States

With regards to the ipad mini 2 ... is there any major advantage/disadvantage to having the wifi-cellular feature?  I read on another thread that its pointless to have the wifi added, but throwing to the crowd for better detail and further opinion.
FYI... I plan to use the ipad mini exclusively for my P3P.  I'd like to be able to surf the web when I'm not flying, but if having wifi capabilities is going to screw with the performance of the DJI GO app then yea.

Thanks as always for input!
2015-8-14
Use props
Bobabc
lvl.1

United States

They all have WiFi. The cellular is an option. Only the cellular models have GPS, which you'll need for follow me etc.
2015-8-14
Use props
storm1000
lvl.1

United States

ah... okay, that clears it up.  DEFNIITELY want to have GPS.  Thanks!!!
2015-8-14
Use props
Skater67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Just bought the iPad Mini 2, 32GB, wifi only,  for exclusive use with my DJI3A.   I cache the maps with wifi prior to flying or use my hotspot from my iPhone 6+  I really like the Mini's size and so far it has worked as advertised.  I switched from the iPhone 6+ to the Mini and very please at the positive difference it made for viewing the app.  Purchased on sale at Exito for $282.00.  You might find it cheaper once the new iPads are announced in Sept.
2015-8-14
Use props
HunterBrooks
Second Officer

United States

I got an iPad Mini 2 with Cellular, and just added the device to my existing cell phone plan.  But I didn't pay retail - it was a refurbished iPad by a trusted local shop, and the iPad will only be used for the P3.  If I had to pay full retail, I might have hesitated.

Regarding WiFi, I turn off WiFi, but keep cell service on.  My phone stays in Airplane-Mode while flying.  So no interference from either device.  

I hike in the mountains to fly.  if I don't pay attention to my cell phone battery life, and it dies while flying, I still have service in case of an emergency.  I also like having the maps in real-time instead of caching them ahead of time, and now feel locked into only flying in that location - meaning from a maps perspective.  I like the freedom of driving somewhere to fly, then come across a cool place that I didn't expect, and have the maps load automatically.  I'm sure there might be workarounds, but I just like that spontaneous freedom.

I thought there was another technical reason to go with a cellular version besides live maps, but can't remember now.  But again, I think for most, it's that extra cost of cellular that makes people shy away and go with the non-cellular version.      
2015-8-14
Use props
storm1000
lvl.1

United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-15 07:36
I got an iPad Mini 2 with Cellular, and just added the device to my existing cell phone plan.  But I ...

I have a samsung galaxy 4 with a data plan already, so couldn't I just get an ipad mini 2 without cellular and have it access data (wifi) from my samsung (hotspot)?  Or would the usage of the mini 2 wifi tap its resources enough to screw with the P3P pilot app performance? (I ask because you said to just turn off wifi on the ipad mini 2 when flying).

Earlier post said the wifi only mini 2 does not have GPS.  If that's true then how can you use any sort of mapping (even thru native wifi).  Even if you pre-loaded cached maps from a wifi connection before flying, once u started flying you wouldn't be able to track ur flight on the map without GPS, correct?  I probably a bonehead and missing something obvious here lol.
2015-8-14
Use props
HunterBrooks
Second Officer

United States

storm1000 Posted at 2015-8-15 07:51
I have a samsung galaxy 4 with a data plan already, so couldn't I just get an ipad mini 2 without  ...

Ha, then I'm a bonehead too, I couldn't remember that it was GPS that the non-cellular version is missing.  Duh ...

So, the iPad Mini 2 I have has both wifi and cellular.  I fly in the mountains, so there are no hotspots anyway to take advantage of (except my cell phone of course).  So I turn off wifi, and use the cellular connection to get the maps.  Yes, it uses my data plan, but it works.  So I can still get maps even though I have wifi turned off.

Trust me, I never owned a tablet before getting the P3.  I was so confused at first - besides getting conflicting information on the forums sometimes.  
2015-8-14
Use props
storm1000
lvl.1

United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-15 10:13
Ha, then I'm a bonehead too, I couldn't remember that it was GPS that the non-cellular version is  ...

In the same boat... I'm an android guy.  Never used an apple ipad in my life, but I'm a quick learner, just going through the motions like you did lol.  My path of least resistance is to just get an android device for my P3P and call it a day... but after many forum probes it seems the consensus is that apple devices edge out android in overall performance for the P3P.  I gotta go with the best odds lol.

I'll just get an ipad mini 2 with all the bells and whistles, should do the trick lol.  I appreciate the info!
2015-8-14
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

storm1000 Posted at 2015-8-15 07:51
I have a samsung galaxy 4 with a data plan already, so couldn't I just get an ipad mini 2 without  ...

Well u cant use any mapping when out of wifi range, not even from another iDevice hotspot. I had to change my wifi iPad to a wifi+cellular since it doesnt even have the GPS chip so useless when hiking or travelling.
2015-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules