Osmo Action 3 - Feature request - Stabilisation in UVC mode
2701 9 2022-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ohheyitscortex
lvl.1
Australia

Hi DJI, loving all the features in the camera so far - I'm wondering if you could add an option to enable stabilisation in UVC mode?

Some of us are trying to connect these cameras to mobile encoders for use in live streaming, and this feature would be incredible for us!

Additionally, on linux there appears to be some issues with UVC mode and negotiating H264 video - if you could take a look at this thread here for more information: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/74692945/error-negotiating-v4l2-h264-output-over-uvc-usb-webcam

If you could fix both of these issues, this device would be just about perfect for live streaming for a lot of people!

Thanks.
2022-12-5
Use props
Marlow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37316 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

And I would 2nd both of the above.

I already asked DJI Support for webcam stabilisation, when the DJI Action 2 was launched.

/M
2022-12-5
Use props
fansbfb896f3
New
Japan

For sure being able to use DJI cameras for reliable livestreaming would be wonderful. Hoping these small issues can be addressed to tighten it all up!
2022-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Ohheyitscortex. We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable suggestions. Regretfully, DJI has not tested the compatibility of Action 3's UVC feature with specific Linux platforms. We will forward your concern about adding an option to enable stabilization in UVC mode and Linux compatibility for Osmo Action 3 to our related department. After the evaluation of the related department, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com) or by checking the Release Notes specific to your product. Thank you for your continued support.
2022-12-5
Use props
Ohheyitscortex
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-5 22:40
Hi, Ohheyitscortex. We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable suggestions. Regretfully, DJI has not tested the compatibility of Action 3's UVC feature with specific Linux platforms. We will forward your concern about adding an option to enable stabilization in UVC mode and Linux compatibility for Osmo Action 3 to our related department. After the evaluation of the related department, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com) or by checking the Release Notes specific to your product. Thank you for your continued support.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. Hopefully these features can be addressed in a future update.
2022-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ohheyitscortex Posted at 12-5 22:50
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. Hopefully these features can be addressed in a future update.

Hi, Ohheyitscortex. You're welcome. Rest assured that the information has been forwarded already. Thank you for your valued support. Keep safe always!
2022-12-7
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Ohheyitscortex, would u plz share a video how action camera works with mobile encoder?
Or How other camera works a live stream as u mentioned ? so that we may have a comprehensive understanding of the case you described.
2022-12-20
Use props
kevmo314
New

United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 12-20 02:39
Hi Ohheyitscortex, would u plz share a video how action camera works with mobile encoder?
Or How other camera works a live stream as u mentioned ? so that we may have a comprehensive understanding of the case you described.

Hi, I'm replying for Ohheyitscortex on the technical details for the DJI Osmo Action 3. Other cameras support a USB webcam mode like the OA3 which is then processed and encoded on a mobile encoder so it's enough to have a fully functional webcam mode on Linux. The DJI OA3 seems register it as a UVC device, however its MJPG profile is much lower quality than the H264 profile. Due to what I believe is a driver issue, the H264 profile doesn't negotiate correctly with Video4Linux's drivers against the latest kernel. I've posted debugging details here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/74692945/error-negotiating-v4l2-h264-output-over-uvc-usb-webcam

It seems that the DJI OA3 negotiates correctly with Windows but not Linux. In particular, the issue can be reproduced on Linux by running:
v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --set-fmt-video width=1920,height=1080,pixelformat=H264 --stream-mmap --stream-count=50
2022-12-24
Use props
Ohheyitscortex
lvl.1
Australia

DJI-ytao Posted at 2022-12-20 02:39

Hi ytao - sorry for the late reply, I've been away over christmas/new years.

I can't personally provide you with a demonstration video, as I don't have any other action cameras, I sold them after I got my OA3.

Basically, a lot of us use these kind of cameras in order to stream to Twitch/YouTube, etc. This is referred to as "IRL" (In real life) streaming, and is a burgeoning market segment, it's starting to become more and more popular. Some people will use their phones for this purpose, others often use the Sony FDR-X3000. Some also use GoPro 8/9/10/11, etc.

These cameras mentioned above offer an HDMI out, which is typically what is being used, this output is sent to a mobile encoder like the LiveU or TBS2603 - or in my case, the Muxer One, a product made by the replier above me, kevmo314.

This signal is then encoded and sent on to an intermediary server or direct to the streaming platform, this is taken care of by the mobile encoder.

Regarding your camera, the Muxer One, which runs Linux, can pick up the camera UVC output, but as kevmo314 has described above, only seems to be able to negotiate MJPG profile, whereas on windows it has a much higher quality H264 negotiation take place. Firstly, we'd love it if you could fix whatever is causing this issue, so that we can use the higher quality H264 output on Linux, for the aforementioned streaming purposes.

Secondly, and even more ideally, if you could allow us access to parameters while in UVC webcam mode, for instance, the ability to adjust the FOV, colour profile, bitrate and most especially, the stabilisation - as we are all typically walking around with these cameras on our shoulder or a selfie stick, or mounted to a bike/motorbike/vehicle, etc. As such, stabilisation is an absolute must. Any extra parameters you can expose for us would be super appreciated, but stabilisation is most important.

I'm not sure if based on your pin configuration for the USB C port, whether it's possible to allow charging/UVC webcam mode + external mic at the same time over a USB adapter, but that would also be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
2023-1-23
Use props
fans41ea6895
lvl.1

Sweden

Please add stabilisation on the usb webcam mode thanks!
2023-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules