Was here today...
799 4 2015-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Open Flying Event

What a trip!  It is only 20 minutes from where I live.  The schedule for tomorrow (Sat.) looks pretty decent - especially the woods run.  The thing that caught my attention most was the 'bat wings' that were flying.  Those things scream in the air. There was quite a variety of flying apparatus tonight.  I will be back tomorrow and Sunday and will possibly fly there.  Have many vehicles that would fit in and the urge to just 'FLY!'

Oh, and if any of my shots actually look good I will share.  But what a scream to have this 'just down the road' so to speak.  A lot of very enthusiastic people.  A lot of people sitting in chairs looking zombified but actually flying a craft around the course/grounds/airspace using goggles.  A lot of people flying very diverse aircraft and showing very unique talents.
2015-8-14
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Looks like a helluva good time even if you're not flying. I can't believe how well some people maneuver their aircraft. Unreal. Enjoy!

Barney
2015-8-15
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

So how did it go.
2015-8-16
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I went back Saturday day and evening - before and after the rain.  It was a lot of fun watching some of these people free fly.  The FPV races - especially the one on a track laid out in the woods - were real fun to watch.  Not one Phantom or anything like it flying, but would not expect to see one.  These are hard-core RC people.  The equipment they have for flying makes our controllers with tablets or phones look like kids toys.  Almost all people flew with goggles on.  All also had multiple monitors set up with multi frequency capability so they could watch the video from other vehicles when they weren't flying.

Very well organized event I think.  Although the first I was ever at, it seemed to be run well.  15 minute flight times with one pilot per frequency in each group.  You sign up for a time slot, when it is your turn you get the frequency tag and you are off.  You cannot power up equipment unless you have the tag for that frequency.  Once someone powered up his controller when he shouldn't have and one of the wings just took off into nowhere (it was recovered).  The control tent has monitors for all frequencies for videos and somehow knew who had done it.  He was banned from flying the rest of the day.  They take it very seriously.

The quads are screaming fast.  The wings are also fast, but very maneuverable and fun to watch fly and especially race.  The planes are pretty standard, but the flight capability of some of the pilots make these fly anything but like a plane.  There were a couple of 'fighter jets' that were eye opening.  They were probably the fastest vehicles flying.

I will be going back today if the rain hold off.  So far it looks good.  I am actually going to bring my quad.  I talked to the sponsor, I told him I didn't want to fly over the course, but off to the side and just get to height and take video.  If there is an open slot for my frequency I can have it if I register.  So I will register.

As for my pics, I am having a problem with my camera and most are just slightly out of focus (camera is on its last leg - autofocus is not working properly).  However, if I fly I will get video.  If they have this event here again next year I will definitely be there with a quad to race.  Already scoping out FPV systems.
2015-8-16
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Sounds cool, hope you get some videos.
2015-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules