lvl.1

United States

If you want to be legal, yes.
2015-8-15
Use props
DrACE
lvl.3

United States

A retired FFA guy told me the FFA has bigger fish to fry HOWEVER, I am in the process of getting one.  
2015-8-15
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

DrACE Posted at 2015-8-16 06:46
A retired FFA guy told me the FFA has bigger fish to fry HOWEVER, I am in the process of getting one ...

Raphael Pirker might disagree with your FAA friend.
2015-8-15
Use props
robertodell
lvl.1

United States

I believe this is happening soon so you wouldn't need an exemption: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... 15_suas_summary.pdf
2015-8-15
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

DrACE Posted at 2015-8-16 06:46
A retired FFA guy told me the FFA has bigger fish to fry HOWEVER, I am in the process of getting one ...

What does Future Farmers of America have to do with UAV's?
2015-8-15
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

robertodell Posted at 2015-8-16 07:55
I believe this is happening soon so you wouldn't need an exemption: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ...

The proposal makes no mention on the need for an exception for commercial use.  The only glimmer of change there is that the sUAS certificate would replace the need for a  sport / rec / pilot cert.  You will still need to request the exemption, just maybe an easier airworthiness certificate available in the future.
2015-8-15
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

I believe this is happening soon so you wouldn't need an exemption: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ...

Looks hopeful. Any idea when this might pass?
2015-8-15
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

mikedaniels Posted at 2015-8-16 15:33
Looks hopeful. Any idea when this might pass?

Best estimate from people in the know is +- 3 years.
2015-8-16
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

"Something" is supposed to come down "in November", but I assume it is a stop-gap.
2015-8-16
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
United States

After doing a couple of weeks of research on the subject, I've come to the conclusion that I can't even take off in my yard.  I live in the country too.  
2015-8-16
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

I was told by a ATC that the new law was supposed to go into effect Nov. 11th
2015-8-16
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

bradneal24 Posted at 2015-8-16 09:01

Oh Bradneal24 Your so
2015-8-16
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
United States

I wish they would allow some qualifications for night flights.  Being over the city at night is spectacular.
2015-8-16
Use props
DrACE
lvl.3

United States

FAA.....hehe......fingers typing too fast.  
2015-8-16
Use props
geoffreywolter
lvl.1
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-16 23:21
After doing a couple of weeks of research on the subject, I've come to the conclusion that I can't e ...

Where do you live that you can't fly on your own property (I see you're in the United States)? I live in Texas, and we have some of the tightest laws concerning UAV use, but so long as you stick to your own property, or public property, and do not film anyone on private property without their permission (say from a couple hundred feet in the air) you're actually pretty safe to take it out and fly. Even if you do happen to capture some footage of someone on private property without their permission as long as you immediately destroy it and do not share it you're still pretty safe. I'd be interested to hear about the local laws where you fly...
2015-8-16
Use props
austin
lvl.2

United States

How recent is this PDF, any idea?
2015-8-16
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-8-16 06:34
If you want to be legal, yes.

That is a misconception.  The 333 exemption dose not make it legal to fly commercially.
If you do get the 333 exemption, you would still need to be a licensed pilot to fly commercially.
At a minimum you will need to go to school (including flying time) and obtain a sports pilot license.
2015-8-16
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2015-8-17 08:04
That is a misconception.  The 333 exemption dose not make it legal to fly commercially.
If you do ...

I'm aware of the regulations and requirements to fly commercially.  Maybe you should address your comments to the OP who asked the question.
2015-8-16
Use props
DrACE
lvl.3

United States

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2015-8-17 08:04
If you do ...

That is not a true statement.  The FAA has granted commercial use and continues to do so for many non pilot people based on what they want to use the UAV for.  
2015-8-17
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

DrACE Posted at 2015-8-17 23:44
That is not a true statement.  The FAA has granted commercial use and continues to do so for many  ...

They do grant them to "non-pilots" but you are required to have a licensed pilot do the actual flying of the drone.
2015-8-17
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

What is 333?
2015-8-17
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/ar ... f-commercial-drones
There's a link on this article that gives another article about the proposed rules, apparently to be in place before year's end.
2015-8-17
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
United States

geoffreywolter@ Posted at 2015-8-17 05:28
Where do you live that you can't fly on your own property (I see you're in the United States)? I l ...

I'm in rural Nebraska, out in the country.  Unfortunately, there's an airport boundary, just 2 miles away.  I'm also 150 feet above the airport, one mile north of the approach path for one of the runways, but not the main, and it has no electronic approach for that runway.  I'm also under right pattern traffic for the primary runway.  Right pattern is used quite a bit here.  Do I fly?  You bet I do.  There is no FAA here, no tower.  I'm a licensed pilot, commercial and multi-engine rated, but not current.  By technical rules, I can't fly (and it shows on the no-fly map quoted on this forum).  Oh, one of the most used local places to test new RCs  is also a couple of miles of the main runway.  Add to all of this, we have heavy spray plane traffic during the season, including one field that gets sprayed less than 100 feet from my driveway.  Yes, I fly.  But, I also pay very close attention to any traffic that may be in the area, avoiding flying at those times.
After looking at the proposed rules, it looks much better for me (so far).
2015-8-18
Use props
geoffreywolter
lvl.1
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-19 05:30
I'm in rural Nebraska, out in the country.  Unfortunately, there's an airport boundary, just 2 mile ...

Ah, well you certainly do have a multitude of factors conspiring against you then! Best of luck, sounds like you at least are aware of the risks and operate your quad safely!
2015-8-18
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

DrACE Posted at 2015-8-17 23:44
That is not a true statement.  The FAA has granted commercial use and continues to do so for many  ...

They are granting the 333 exemption to non pilots, true. BUT  it's worthless unless you are a licensed pilot OR hire a licensed pilot to control the drone.  If you've heard different I'd like to see it.
2015-8-21
Use props
BRB Productions
lvl.1

United States

bradneal24 Posted at 2015-8-16 09:01

Very nice!
2015-8-21
Use props
BRB Productions
lvl.1

United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-19 05:30
I'm in rural Nebraska, out in the country.  Unfortunately, there's an airport boundary, just 2 mile ...

What you just stated is the main difference between a responsible RC pilot versus the other goofballs that are forcing the FAA to feel the need to regulate.
2015-8-21
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
United States

Absolutely.  That's why I rarely fly higher than 100 feet and almost always within my property.  I have existing obstacles that high within my property.  The crap I see people post and boast about really pisses me off.  Perfectly legal, no.  And I'm going to be working to get certain common sense things approved.  The proposed rules aren't all that bad, if they don't tighten them up even more.  There are a couple of things I'd like to see changed, but all one can do is try.  It will take time.
2015-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules