Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Maps won't cache to tablet. No maps offline.
12195 20 2015-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kit Walker
lvl.4

Australia

Previously, I could load google maps through DJI PILOT on my Galaxy S5. The maps would automatically save to my device. Very handy.
But now After buying my first apple device (air 2), I cannot get maps to save to the tablet, while offline.

Location services are ON.
DJI GO has location access "while using".
I have pre-viewed the map area in detail while connected to wifi.

I'll keep looking in my free time, but anyone who is familiar may be able to help.
Thanks.
2015-8-15
Use props
Shellant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 939232 ft
United States

Hi Kit
I just encountered the same issue .
On the original App I was able to go online and open the App while I was still at home with a wifi signal and cache the Maps before I went flying..
I just tried again but this time I connected my remote and it seems I am able to run the App and now the maps are available.
I did not turn the phantom on ,I only turned the remote on and connected it to my tablet.
I will try and let you know if this worked. If you have any success or solutions could you post as well..
CheerS
Tony
2015-8-16
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.4

Australia

Shellant Posted at 2015-8-17 00:02
Hi Kit
I just encountered the same issue .
On the original App I was able to go online and open the  ...

It worked today. But stopped working again this afternoon.

This morning I actually just quickly cached some maps in the DJI GO app, while using the home internet. I had to duck down town, so I took the iPad with me to keep playing around.., and noticed the maps actually cached, while not having an internet connection. (No hotspots)

After returning home, I turned on the controller, phantom 3 and the iPad Air 2 tablet.
I just set it up in my lounge room, as If I was ready to fly. (Actually still got 3 GPS's)

Then went into camera view.., brought up the map and started browsing around, zooming in and out to get multiple layers of images. Then I turned everything off, including the iPad Air 2, and disconnected the data cable between the tablet, and radio controller. I left the battery in the drone.

And that's it.
I went to an oval to fly.., set it up and waited for the iPad to turn on.., loaded DJI GO and all the maps loaded perfectly.., for all the areas I had just pre-viewed at home.

Now.., the maps have been cleared again.
The tablets has been left turned on all day since being turned on at the oval. No restarts.

The maps are caching properly. Something is happening in between, during the day, which clears the map data.
Might be an apple problem/setting.
2015-8-17
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.4

Australia

I kept checking the DJI GO maps all day today, but did NOT plug the iPad into the Controller. Just the tablet, by itself.
Every time, all day the maps were saved/cached to the DJI GO app.

However.., this afternoon I linked to controller to the Phantom 3, then turned on DJI GO (ready to fly) but the maps were deleted.

1) So I checked DJI GO all day (without connecting to the transmitter/controller).
-I even checked JUST before linking the tablet and controller..,
-All day, the maps were saved!
2) 30 seconds later.., maps were gone after connecting the iPad to the controller and drone.

So, seems like it happens when linking with the Phantom.
2015-8-18
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.4

Australia

Hi Shellant. I have not had any problems with my maps since posting last.

Two changes I made in the iPad settings since then were
1) Settings > General > Background App Refresh > OFF
2) Settings > Privacy > Location Services > OFF

Not sure if these changes actually affected anything or not, but is worth a try.
2015-8-22
Use props
oksxen
lvl.2

Canada

I have the same issue with my IPAD Mini 2 with Wifi Only.

2015-8-30
Use props
oksxen
lvl.2

Canada

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-8-23 02:15
Hi Shellant. I have not had any problems with my maps since posting last.

Two changes I made in the ...

I will try this.
2015-8-30
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.4

Australia

oksxen Posted at 2015-8-31 00:24

I will try this.

Don't bother. I'm having the same issue again.
Went to fly, and lost all my maps.

It's odd that it only happens sometimes.
I'm going for a fly now. i will keep an eye on my maps, and take note of exactly when they are deleted (changing home/start point, battery, calibration etc).
Hopefully we can at least narrow down when it happens, because so far it seems fairly random.

2015-9-1
Use props
huntjock
lvl.1

United States

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-1 20:32
Don't bother. I'm having the same issue again.
Went to fly, and lost all my maps.

any updates on your caching experiences in the past week?

thanks for keeping us posted!
2015-9-8
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

99% of my flying is away from cellular services, so I was hoping to cache the maps before leaving for the site.
My flight records therefore shows "map loading" for ever and a day... upon my return.

I still have the same issues with the maps on my iPAD Mini 2 Wi-Fi only seemingly not caching even after the updates.
The iPAD Mini was specifically purchased as the flight monitor of choice for my Inspire 1 because of the simulator App.

On my Nokia device (non Windows) I used the off-line maps by Nokia for many many years, which has since become a standalone product called Here Maps.
Since changing to an Android device about 2 years ago, I used Here Maps extensively as it works perfect in off-line mode - even with address searches and voice guidance routing!
I know you can cache Google Maps for about a 50km radius from your location, but the off-line cached maps only stays valid for 30 days or something.

I downloaded Here Maps from the iOS App Store and installed the off-line maps for my location onto the iPAD Mini 2 - some 350MB.
Now if only I can figure out how to tell the DJI Go App to use Nokia Maps?
Hopefully this will solve all my mapping problems and I will be able to see my waypoints on the off-line maps too.
2015-9-13
Use props
phresh_5
lvl.3

Canada

Anyone tried tethering your phones data plan, making a personal hotspot while flying?

Also before trying to cache the maps at home or wherever the wifi signal is, try closing all other apps and restart the device to give it a fresh no ram used starting point.

Maybe the maps are getting deleted because theres other apps trying to keep their info in the cache or ram etc. and the device decides to get rid of DJI Go info.
2015-9-15
Use props
stmichael911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 526060 ft
United States

I also have the IPad Mini 2 and before never had a problem with cached maps until now, at home on wifi running DJI Go all is good with cache (wifi spot at home) once out in the field (50 yards) no cache maps...go figure, checked all the settings i thought would bring it back (out in the field) to no avail. Also I use AutoPilot and it also shows no cached maps. Going to see if my Phantom Vision + v3 does the same thing with the DJI Vision App later on....frustrated, need the maps to run some waypoints on AutoPilot seeing DJI Go is a "No Go" on Waypoints...
2015-9-17
Use props
joeglennaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

I've had this same issue. Sometimes I  get great maps satellite images and other times no maps. I have an Ipad Air 2 with wifi and cellular. I do not have the cell plan turned on however but everything always works except this map issue.
2015-11-2
Use props
Motch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44213 ft
  • >>>
United States

So... anyone figure this out yet?
I have a map with "Standard"... but I first have to zoom out alot to get it to load.
Under "Satellite".. it's good.
When I choose "Hybrid".. I again have to zoom way out to get the map to load, but as I zoom in, it's not sharp even though the streets from "Standard" do show up.  

I'm using an IPad Air 2, Wifi and AT&T Cellular.  
Bought the AirNest App and it's useless as I don't have a map to draw my flights out!?

Help~
Thanks
Always
Motch
2015-11-23
Use props
autocross89
lvl.1

United States

Adamastor Posted at 2015-9-13 00:04
99% of my flying is away from cellular services, so I was hoping to cache the maps before leaving fo ...

I really doubt the DJI app will ever allow scraping 3rd party maps data.  Every map app has it's own format for storing map data and when DJI is having problems keeping their firmware/software from crashing the drone outside of your control...probably a cold day in h*ll.  Props for using a Nokia.  I still have my N95 & N8 lying around!  At the time they were just such amazing devices compared to the competition and the offline maps capability is something that can literally save your life if outside of cell tower range...in addition to the convenience in spotty reception areas.  My girlfriend now uses the N8 and every now and again I have her load maps/navi up because my $600 Sony Z1 can't manage with it's "lifeline".  Pathetic!
2015-12-8
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

That location information is captured and stored is verifiable by using 'get info' when you play a movie. The location's GPS co-ordinates and Apple Map's name are logged there. The Go App does NOT store a permanent copy of the map of the terrain you flew over in your mobile device.

What is stored is a text file containing the flight telemetry data, which includes GPS co-ordinates. The map is a 'layer' that is cached but not written in a permanent record. Updates of satellite images / ground maps will change the appearance of the flight path over time. This approach saves space. Note that you are also able to zoom in and out of the map whenever you have a live internet connection but not when you do not.

I hope this clarifies
2015-12-11
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

The "HERE" maps (ex Nokia brand) runs perfectly on my Sony Z1 Compact and iPAD Mini 2 Wi-Fi only with no cellphone reception.

Perhaps a developer can make that you can choose whether to use iMaps or HERE maps???
2015-12-16
Use props
djk This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-3
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.4

Australia

Still had the same issue for almost a year now... I regret buying Apple.
2016-3-17
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.2

I never get maps with my galaxy  tab A,, very frustrating
2016-5-4
Use props
ynottony
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125 ft
Australia

Had same problem so i went back to go app 3.01 and now downloads maps