2469 19 2015-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all.

Is the latest firmware upgrade Mandatory?  The reason I ask, is that I have my flight exam for my BNUC-s next week and I have held off updating the firmware until after the flight exam in case I ran into any issues.  I did some practice flights today and instead of the usual 'Safe to fly GPS' banner, I was greeted with the 'update firmware' banner flashing at me in red.  I flew 3 batteries with no issues, but my fear is that it may impose a firmware upgrade on me and ground me in the process at some stage in the near future (ie. on my flight exam!!).
Is anyone able to advise me on this?

Autumn, Tahoe ed, DJI dave, anyone.

Kind regards.

Jason

2015-8-16
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

I don't think you have to worry. The last few updates have not been mandatory as far as I can tell.  With the latest available update, having the option to reverse the process -- Firmware Version 1.2.1.06 is still available for download on the Inspire support download list -- seems incompatible with the  'Firmware Update Required' you now see on the aircraft status menu when using the DJI Pilot App.  

I am hoping never to see a mandatory update again.  

Dan
2015-8-16
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Well ... I think a lot of users would like to have this "on paper" from DJI ... as we still are under warranty ... and DJI could probably try to avoid any warranty claims from a customer if you are flying on an old FW.
2015-8-16
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
United Kingdom

My worst fear is getting locked out of the inspire on the day of my exam, the words flashing in red, 'firmware upgrade REQUIRED' are making me very nervous indeed.  I am running V 1.2.1.06 and I understand that I can roll back to that firmware.  I just dont want to risk the updating procedure this close to my exam when my inspire is flying faultlessly.

Jason
2015-8-16
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Ph02on Posted at 2015-8-17 00:30
My worst fear is getting locked out of the inspire on the day of my exam, the words flashing in red, ...

Hi Jason, from what you are saying, I would be more concerned in attempting a flight test with software that is not up to date and this problem being clearly noticeable to the flight tester. Surely having up to date software would be part of your risk assessment? I feel your pain though, if only getting the Inspire updated and flying without any issues wasn't a game of chance.
2015-8-16
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

No firmware update is or every will be mandatory living you out of being able to fly your inspire. Mines been saying that since January, no issues flying.
2015-8-16
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Living= locking
2015-8-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Hi Jason,

The latest firmware update is not mandatory.
Personally if I were you I would update. I would not want the flashing red banner while I was testing.
I know it is scary when you read all the reports of guys having trouble with firmware. But please be reminded that most are not having trouble. By far most are not, I do understand your concern though.
2015-8-16
Use props
Chandos
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I do not think having the latest fw is a legal requirment or a PAW test requirment unless DJI specify that the previous fw is dangerous and if that were the case they have the power to ground you. The fact that the old fw is still availble confirms it is not unsafe. Don't get nervous, lifes too short.
2015-8-17
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Many thanks for the advice and the opinions.  I hadn't really thought about the impression that not updating the firmware may have had on the examiner.  On reflection, you guys are correct.  So I upgraded with zero problems.  One very relieved pilot here!!

Thanks again.

Jason
2015-8-17
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-8-16 23:21
I don't think you have to worry. The last few updates have not been mandatory as far as I can tell.  ...

Hi Dan and Jason
You need to read this http://forum.dji.com/thread-28272-1-1.html
2015-8-17
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-17 13:25
Hi Jason,

The latest firmware update is not mandatory.

Hi Dave
I have been hit with everything, I cant even tell you what I went through with my P3,  I just got my new Inspire less than a month ago,  I upgraded the first  time to the firmware that has now been replaced just 3 weeks later after I upgraded.  

My Inspire was absolutely perfect, I loved it, I was just getting over the bad experience that I had with the p3.  When I applied this last update, it all seemingly went well with the text files all reporting back success, also the new app reported the firmware was all up to date.

Everything boots up looks great, except for my led on the right front is lit solid and my motors will not start with an esc error, being displayed when I try to arm the motors.  I got physically sick and my knees weak when I saw what had happened to my 3 week old perfectly flying 3k Inspire.  

More than a few are experiencing severe problems or there would only be a one week turnaround on repairs, not 6, 7, 8, or nine weeks, to fix a bird that when it comes back only took an hour (on the invoice) to repair, do the math.  The return rate world wide must be incredible.  

I really don't know how any company could survive this,  I hope they do,  it seems as though the repair time is getting longer and longer.  Devaluation of the Chinese currency may also be a factor in the support logistics, I dont know.  

I am not going to send my 3 week old machine in.  I just cant, I ordered an esc and motor set off of ebay, and I going to fix it myself, if it doesnt work I will part it out on ebay,  not sure if I will buy another one, I have been flying remote control craft since radios first came out, I have had them all, and I have never had a love, hate relationship this intense, or even at all, with anything, or anybody, until I bumped into DJI, Do you suppose they will ever provide counseling,  I haven't slept for three nights, since I upgraded my Inspire.  

Now a thought on mandatory updates, please take a look at this http://forum.dji.com/thread-28272-1-1.html  I call that  mandatory updates, here,  now.  The ramifications of mandatory updates is horrendous, what that would mean is, That you you really don't own the product that you have bought.

What that means is, that someone else (DJI and, or the government) will have complete control over your flying camera, If dji is told to shut them all down, anywhere, everywhere, or just wherever, for whatever, they can and they will, they have that power now, as long as you have to go on the internet to down load the maps, you are at there disposal. You really don't own this equipment now, you are merely leasing it, The contract may be terminated only by the producer of the product,  at their discretion.

What we need are third person after market developers, or hackers to remove the kill switch that is now obviously being planted little by little into the upgrades. Many including myself would pay to keep their machines under their own control.  
2015-8-17
Use props
tim foster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

hay guys i hate to say it but when your inspire is flying good why update!!!! i feel your pain i have dedicated ipads for all my inspires and airplane mode on at all times they will never see the internet again my birds fly very well on the .06 firmware and pilot app 1.1.2 i will never update again, i dont need facebook ect.ect in my app there is a way to get this fixed
2015-8-17
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-8-18 06:57
Hi Dave
I have been hit with everything, I cant even tell you what I went through with my P3,  I j ...

Yes I have been reading a lot of your post and you have had more than your fair share of bad luck with DJI products. I can totally understand how upset you must be. When I first read your thread about your update problem I could not believe it. I thought (not this guy) life can be so unfair. I hope you are able to fix your Inspire as you have said you will. It might not seem like it to you, but I can say the numbers of guys having trouble is very low compared to the number of guys not having trouble. The repair time got longer because of the move to the new facility. I agree that the repair time is too long. I have been told that DJI is working on changing that.

As far as the "mandatory updates" this has been known for a long time. It has been discussed over and over again in this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2280074

Again sorry for your trouble.  
2015-8-17
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Ph02on Posted at 2015-8-18 01:18
Many thanks for the advice and the opinions.  I hadn't really thought about the impression that not  ...

Great to hear it.

Good luck with your exam.
2015-8-17
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-18 12:30
Yes I have been reading a lot of your post and you have had more than your fair share of bad luck w ...

Thanks Dave
I have always respected your replies to your customers, You have always showed the utmost in professionalism, In your responses, You are one the moderators, that I respect the most for the way I perceive that you really do care about the dji customers.  Joe
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-8-18 19:34
Thanks Dave
I have always respected your replies to your customers, You have always showed the ut ...

Thank you Joe. I really do care, in person I am always very friendly and caring and respectful  with everyone I meet.  This is how I was raised. I always try to think how I would feel if I were the guy that had the trouble or if I were the guy that was new to all this and had a question.
I wish there was more I could do for you and others. But I am a low man on the totam pole here.

Dave
2015-8-18
Use props
jnbgtr
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

jnbgtr Posted at 2015-8-19 05:53
Hi Dave,

I've been trolling these threads as I do before taking the plunge into any new technolog ...

We do have a repair facility in California. In fact we just moved from one location to a new and bigger location in California.

I understand your concern. Recently I replied to a guy who owned  a Inspire but was too afraid to fly it because of the stuff he was reading on the internet.

This does not all apply to you (this post was part of a longer discussion) but most of it does. So rather than retyping it all I will just cut and past it here for you to read.
I hope it will help you make a decision, as I said I understand your concern.

So here is the post...

I read your first post and saw that you were not sure if you should fly or not because of the problems you see others having on the internet.

I can tell from reading your post that you are a smart and reasonable guy. So maybe most of my advice to you was really nothing more than stating the obvious. Like where I said: “nothing is foolproof or infallible.The choice to fly will always be your choice. Nothing in this world is without risk.”

It is just that I am seeing several post from different users that they are not sure if they should fly. One guy last night said he had a P3 and a I1 and he has not even taken the I1 out of the box.

Also from reading this post I see we have similar backgrounds. I have been flying RC for over 20 years and I was doing aerial photography long before DJI ever came around. I too was impressed when the Phantom came out (it made my job easier) and I was much more impressed when the Inspire came out. (it made my job much easier)

The other thing I was trying to say in my post to you and others reading…

Is to please keep this stuff in perspective.

Sometimes it seems like when a couple of people report a problem everyone jumps in and acts like the world is coming to an end.
I wish DJI would provide me with the total number of units sold (Phantoms & Inspires). I think it would help my discussion here. I do know the number is extremely high. DJI is a 10 Billion dollar company.  I think DJI sells thousands of these things world wide every day. I do remember hearing that B&H Photo at one point last year was selling 200 Phantoms a day. That is just one store. Think about that!

So we are all shaped by our perceptions!!! Here is my perception, and my personal opinion:

There is an extremely large number of Phantoms and Inspires flying everyday. And they are being flown by a wide variety of people with a wide variety of skill and experience. Some guys with zero experience and some like me with 20 years and some with much more than that.

You asked if you should ground your craft or not. I would say you should fly, but the choice is yours,there is always some small risk in eveything. I think the number of guys having trouble is so extremely small compared to the guys that are not. I fly in a very urban environment where everyone knows a lawyer. I also am on the internet everyday in this forum and several others. I read all the horror stories. If anyone should be nervous to fly it should be me. Now, if all of a sudden we had the internet totally flooded on every forum with “flyaways” you bet I would stop flying also. But I am not nervous to fly and I am not going to stop flying because I keep it in perspective!  Because I see all the good stories also. Like guys with 300+ flights on their Inspire with no problems.
Also because of my personal good experiences. I have about 200 flights on mine.
I have 3 good friends that all bought Inspires because of my personal recommendation. All 3 fly all the time and have never had a problem other than 1 of them was having some video drop out. They are not nervous about flying because they are never on the internet.  I also belong to a flying club where 4 other guys that I know, but are not close friends, fly Inspires. They all know I work for DJI and I would be the first call they make if they had a problem, and so far no calls. I own a total of 11 DJI multirotors and I have been flying DJI for about 3 years with no trouble. So that is what is shaping my perception and my opinion.

That and this...
(More stating the obvious so please do not take offense)
Do not believe everything you read on the internet. We have a lot of competitors that love to lie on the internet to make us look bad. We also have a lot of DJI haters, for various reasons, that also love to lie on the internet. They see a thread like this or any other negative thread and love to pour fuel on the fire. So of all the bad stories we read. A big portion are lies or user error, most ((user error)) from what I have read and researched. (But not ALL I know that.) And there is a huge number of people flying with zero trouble compared to the number of guys with trouble, that I know for sure!
Think about it. If you go buy a new car and drive it down the road, if it works you just drive it down the road. You don't get on the internet and tell everybody, “Hey guys, my car drives." No, you just drive it and enjoy it. However if your new car breaks down, then you bet, the first thing you do is get on the internet and tell everyone.
So I personally keep this in mind also. The internet can skew your perception in a unrealistic and negative way. Most of the guys flying the Inspire are too busy working to be telling everyone how great the Inspire is.

So any way…
after all that… When I see someone afraid to fly (be it Inspire or Phantom) I truly feel bad for them. I think they are missing out. I love my Inspire and love flying it.
In the 20 years I have been flying the Inspire is the best thing I have ever flown!

I know DJI has troubles and problems. I will never be able to defend DJI from everything that is going on.  In fact I sympathize with all the customers that have trouble. Very much so!  I have been a DJI customer a lot longer than I have been a DJI employee.  

Dave
2015-8-18
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-8-18 04:11
Hi Dan and Jason
You need to read this http://forum.dji.com/thread-28272-1-1.html

Hi mtnmaddman,

Thanks for pointing that thread out

Dan