Phone connection
2800 14 2022-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Just got the Mini 2 and I am having a phone connection issue. After connecting the cable to my phone (android) and then starting the controller, it sometimes takes 3 or 4 attempts before the phone connects. The phone charging symbol cycles on and off a few times before eventually connecting and the DJI Fly app opening.

I was looking through the user guide and it states "If a usb connection prompt appears when connecting to an Android device, select the option to charge only, otherwise it may result in a connection failure"
Is anyone able to confirm if this is correct ? On my Mini 1, I always had it set to file transfer/data with no issues. Seems strange to set the connection to charge only as per the manual.
Grateful if someone could confirm the correct USB connection protocol

2022-12-27
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

If the charge indicator on the phone cycles on and off you have a poor connection. Before doing anything else, replace the cable and try again.
2022-12-27
Use props
djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 12-27 08:56
If the charge indicator on the phone cycles on and off you have a poor connection. Before doing anything else, replace the cable and try again.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I did consider that, the cables are not the best quality. I was hoping it was something to do with my USB connection being set to file/data transfer, contrary to being set to charge only as per the manual
2022-12-27
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK Posted at 12-27 09:06
Thanks for the quick reply.
I did consider that, the cables are not the best quality. I was hoping it was something to do with my USB connection being set to file/data transfer, contrary to being set to charge only as per the manual

Well? Did you replace the cable with a new quality one?
2022-12-27
Use props
djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 12-27 09:14
Well? Did you replace the cable with a new quality one?

I have just received the drone, so I would not have had the time to get a replacement cable.
2022-12-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK Posted at 12-27 09:23
I have just received the drone, so I would not have had the time to get a replacement cable.

The cables are very good. Check your port for lint and dirt. Use a toothpick.
2022-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As Mobilehomer suggests, if the drone is new check the port on the phone. I'd connect the phone to a computer and see if it all works. What is the connection on the phone, if by any chance it is microUSB you have to be careful with them, they are prone to damage.
My phone shows "Use USB for  "Charging" "  when connected to my controller so setting the connection to " to charge only" sounds correct.
2022-12-27
Use props
djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-27 10:18
The cables are very good. Check your port for lint and dirt. Use a toothpick.

Thanks for the info, I will check the ports are free of debris
2022-12-27
Use props
djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 10:26
As Mobilehomer suggests, if the drone is new check the port on the phone. I'd connect the phone to a computer and see if it all works. What is the connection on the phone,i fby any chance it is microUSB you have to be careful with them, they are prone to damage.
My phone shows "Use USB for  "Charging" "  when connected to my controller so setting the connection to " to charge only" sounds correct.

Thanks for the info and confirming the correct USB status. My phone is a USB C connection, I will follow Mobilehomers advice and check there is nothing in the ports.
2022-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok since it is a USB-C phone, if you look at the outer end of each cable plug I believe that one of them will bear a difficult-to-see likeness of a controller, that is supposed to be the end that goes into the controller. I do not know if there is a difference between the two plugs but......
DJI even put the symbol on the controller end of the cable for a microUSB phone and, with that cable, one can not put the wrong plug into controller socket .
2022-12-27
Use props
djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 11:08
Ok since it is a USB-C phone, if you look at the outer end of each cable plug I believe that one of them will bear a difficult-to-see likeness of a controller, that is supposed to be the end that goes into the controller. I do not know if there is a difference between the two plugs but......
DJI even put the symbol on the controller end of the cable for a microUSB phone and, with that cable, one can not put the wrong plug into controller socket .

Thanks, I saw that in the manual so made sure that is the way I connected the cable
2022-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great, the only other thing I can think of is to try another USB-C phone if you have access to one. or a micro USB  phone or an iPhone, that assumes you have the appropriate cables.
2022-12-27
Use props
djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 11:19
Great, the only other thing I can think of is to try another USB-C phone if you have access to one. or a micro USB  phone or an iPhone, that assumes you have the appropriate cables.

Thanks for help in trying to sort the issue.
At your suggestion, I downloaded the app onto another phone with same results unfortunately.

Both phones work perfectly on my Mini 1 (cables with the mini 1 micro usb controller connection),
connecting 1st time every time.
It is brand new, so its a bit disappointing, undecided if I should chance purchasing a new USB C cable or return the mini 2
2022-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK Posted at 12-27 13:05
Thanks for help in trying to sort the issue.
At your suggestion, I downloaded the app onto another phone with same results unfortunately.

Was the alternative phone  an iphone  or a micro USB connection?
The idea is to try to eliminate the USB-C to USB-C cable and it connectors from the 'equation' and test the controller via an alternative cable.
2022-12-27
Use props
djiuser_NuaHFRbPjllK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 13:36
Was the alternative phone  an iphone  or a micro USB connection?
The idea is to try to eliminate the USB-C to USB-C cable and it connectors from the 'equation' and test the controller via an alternative cable.

I see your point. Both my phones were android but neither has a micro usb connection. I will have to try and persuade my daughter to allow me to download the fly app on to her iphone.

I will update when I have tried that, thanks again for your help in trying resolve the issue.
2022-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules