BITRATE DROPPING - Now we know why.
2796 17 2023-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ritch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 281490 ft
Czechia

Hello everyone! Many of us have this problem, including those who have FCC. I spent some time today looking into the issue and I found out what causes it. When I use the default color, the wireless video transmission runs at 50mbps without any drops as I would expect. However, after the latest update, when I switch to the 10-bit color mode, I start experiencing strong bitrate drops. This doesn't happen to everyone, and I know why. Many of you are filming with automatic ISO, and Avata adjusts the exposure as needed in this case, the problem doesn't occur. However, when I switch to manual ISO in this 10-bit color mode and just darken the image a bit, the bitrate of the wireless transmission starts to drop rapidly. If I darken the image a lot, the data flow can even drop to 4mbps at a distance of one meter from the drone. However, if I do this test with the image darkened in the basic color mode, the problem completely disappears and everything works as it should - 50mbps even at a distance of one kilometer without any drops. Of course, I did all of these tests while recording video to the SD card in the drone, so the drone was not running in power-saving mode. I also noticed that if I return the sharpness value from the original -2 to 0, the problem also disappears completely. To summarize, the video data transmission during filming with 10-bit color depth depends on the data flow of the video recording on the card, which I consider to be a bug because the wireless transmission should run at maximum data flow all the time, regardless of the data flow of the video recording. I therefore request DJI support to also test this bug and fix it in a future firmware update if possible. There are many of us who film videos with ND filters and in fully manual mode to get the maximum video quality. I also apologize for my English and I hope that ChatGTP translated this technical text into English as accurately as possible so that you understand my observations.
2023-1-3
Use props
Big Fil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1113484 ft
United States

Good post and your english is very good IMO. All the details made complete sense. Hopefully this can help point DJI in the right direction as far as a fix for the behaviors you observed.
2023-1-3
Use props
ritch
lvl.1
Czechia

Big Fil Posted at 1-3 15:58
Good post and your english is very good IMO. All the details made complete sense. Hopefully this can help point DJI in the right direction as far as a fix for the behaviors you observed.

Thank you! Here is an example while filming in manual ISO (10bit) and underexposing video just a little bit. I got a half of the flow...

https://www.tiktok.com/@rcinewhoop/video/7181825458634231046?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7177764506004473349
2023-1-3
Use props
yensysl1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491699 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good stuff.. Thanks for the detailed update...and your English is dam good
2023-1-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, ritch. Thank you for reaching out, and sharing your comprehensive test with the new DJI Avata firmware update. We will have your feedback forwarded to our related team for investigation. In case we need further details, we will let you know. We appreciate your understanding and support. Have a nice day!
2023-1-3
Use props
ritch
lvl.1
Czechia

DJI Tony Posted at 1-3 20:21
Hi, ritch. Thank you for reaching out, and sharing your comprehensive test with the new DJI Avata firmware update. We will have your feedback forwarded to our related team for investigation. In case we need further details, we will let you know. We appreciate your understanding and support. Have a nice day!

Thank you very much Tony, I appreciate it.

Have a great day!
2023-1-4
Use props
djiuser_cXXQEVbOij1i
New
Flight distance : 51663 ft
Italy

2023-2-12
Use props
djiuser_cXXQEVbOij1i
New
Flight distance : 51663 ft
Italy

2023-2-12
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

is the picture bad, or is there just a low bitrate? maybe the codec does not need more data bandwidth to transmit all available information?
2023-2-12
Use props
ritch
lvl.1
Czechia

MoppelMat Posted at 2-12 09:09
is the picture bad, or is there just a low bitrate? maybe the codec does not need more data bandwidth to transmit all available information?

Yes, but during the flight, you want to see the actual bitrate, for example, due to distance or penetration through objects and walls, rather than wondering if the data rate is decreasing for no reason.
2023-2-12
Use props
AlbertoMancini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9610797 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hello Ritch! I have the same problem! Thanks for share with us.
2023-3-14
Use props
AlbertoMancini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9610797 ft
  • >>>
Italy

ritch Posted at 2-12 23:51
Yes, but during the flight, you want to see the actual bitrate, for example, due to distance or penetration through objects and walls, rather than wondering if the data rate is decreasing for no reason.

Exacly! This can be a problem when you fly indoor with a lot of obstacles and you could lost the drone cause of dropping bitrates.  Flying at 10 bit I don’t have the same confidence. I remember that, before the 10bit update, when you chose d-cinelike profile color in the past without 10bit inside, the problem wasn't present and remained stable at 50. The issue is caused by 10bit that has been included with latest update.
2023-3-14
Use props
dado_pola
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1147411 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Thank you, I hope this will be fixed soon!
2023-4-4
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Thanks for sharing this with us.
2023-4-5
Use props
Tom_dido
New

Italy

Hello there.
Glad to read I am not the only one with some problems related to bitrate.

I don't know if I have to open a new discussion (probably I will do it), but I would like to add my own experience.
I have the same bitframe drop, even on the file saved on the drone SD card. I did some tests after resetting camera settings, and I found out that  movies recorded in normal color have nearly the double bitrate of the identical ones, recorded in d-cinelike.
This happens both in 4K and in 2.7K. I tested at 50 and 60 FPS, and the restults are nearly the same.
For example, recording in 4k:
in normal 146 Mbps - in d-cinelike 80 Mpbs

In 2.7k:
In normal: 120 Mbps - in d-cinelike 50 mpbs

if you can do some tests, it would be great!
BTW, this is with the second-last firmware.
2023-5-4
Use props
simac_fpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1107579 ft
Malta

I was, yesterday, waiting for sunset and when the time came to take flight I had 0Mbs even after take-off with auto recording. Maybe 20 minutes before I did a test flight and completely lost the signal maybe 200m away. RTH kicked in and was able to regain flight just under a minute. I noticed this morning that inside with a slight change in the setup and removing the cpl filter transmission was at 6Mbs, but went up to 50Mbs when recording started.

My set up was: -

CPL Filter
ISO100
Shutter 1/100
EV -1.0 (Greyed out)
WB [A] 6400
Aspect Ratio 16/9
Video Quality 4K/50
Camera FOV  Normal
Auto ISO Limit 3200
EIS Off
Color D-Cinelike

I came across the post and nearly three months when it was quite well explained, still no fix on the firmware.

A quick fix tho the firmware is either to completely remove Improved D-Cinelike to 10bit or have an On/Off feature in Camera Settings. Whatever it is it has to happen.  

We are also still waiting for the fix of the MANUAL Control of the Avata in Unlocked No-Fly Zones. DJI is the only manufacturer that limits flights to Normal or Sport mode in Unlocked Restricted Areas. Professional Pilots seek authorizations for each flight and if our request is approved we see no reason why the flight is still restricted by DJI.
2023-5-28
Use props
fansc5efab9c
lvl.2

United States

Tom_dido Posted at 5-4 23:54
Hello there.
Glad to read I am not the only one with some problems related to bitrate.

D-Cinelike is using H.265 codec while Normal is H.264. That's why the saved file video bitrate is less than half because H.265 is more advanced and requires less bitrate
2023-5-29
Use props
B0rN
lvl.1
Luxembourg

hello, I have exactly the same problem with 2 Air Unit O3.
I bought a second unit believing the first was defective...

When D-cinelike is activated: 0 MBPS, impossible to fly.
If I deactivate D-cinelike and set to normal: 50 MBPS

It's been several months since this should have been corrected...
Where is the update?

ND8 Filter
4k/60
ISO 200
1/120
EV 0.0
16/9
Wide
EIS Off
Auto ISO Limit 6400

sorry for my English, I speak French
2023-10-6