Compass loses it's direction
686 14 2023-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ssayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 629482 ft
United States

Because of the season, I'm flying basically the same area all the time (that'll change come spring, but it is what it is right now). Most of the time, it's all good, but occasionally, say... 1 in 8 times, the compass will go a little wonky well into the flight and no longer line up with the drone. I take off and land at the same spot, so it isn't that. When it's off kilter, I have to be more careful because ot the toilet bowl effect (that was a real learning experience when I had my older Hubsan H501 drones). Just to make sure I'm being understood, here's a pic. If you look at the pic, you can see that while the camera is pointing at that red dot that I've drawn in, the compass shows the drone as facing about 75° off to the right. Every single time the compass goes wonky, it's always the same direction though the amount off can vary from say... 15° to 90°. Of course, this is regardless of whether I'm using DJI Fly or Litchi. Any thoughts?

20230112_083636a.jpg

2023-1-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Calibrate  the compass of your drone. somewhere free of any metal ect.
Try again, but not from this area, and post a picture if the DJI fly app instead.

cheers
JJB

2023-1-12
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

I've calibrated many times, but ok. Also though, when it finishes the flight wonky and I just change batteries and turn it on, I can simply start flying again without a hitch (no calibration necessary) because the compass is fine. Just an FYI, it might be a while before I can get back with something using the DJI Fly app since it doesn't happen that often and might not even start going bad until 15 minutes or so into the flight...
2023-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would try flying with the DJI fly app.
2023-1-12
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

??? I fly with the DJI Fly app often. It depends on what I feel like doing on any certain flight. The issue happens occasionally with either.
2023-1-12
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23370489 ft
United States

Do you happen to have a metal roof on your house or a metal shed nearby?

My parents have both on their property and I have compass issues every time I try to take off from any part of their yard.
2023-1-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Try calibrating your phone compass.
2023-1-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ssayer Posted at 1-12 07:03
I've calibrated many times, but ok. Also though, when it finishes the flight wonky and I just change batteries and turn it on, I can simply start flying again without a hitch (no calibration necessary) because the compass is fine. Just an FYI, it might be a while before I can get back with something using the DJI Fly app since it doesn't happen that often and might not even start going bad until 15 minutes or so into the flight...

oke,

In the flyApp, use the map view to see the drone arrow.

Why, because in the map view the drone heading is compass data from your drone, showed on a map wich is by default N up.

In the compass view, the drone arrow is fromn the drone compass, BUT the compass circle is from the mobile device compass....if your mobile is wrong   that the drone arrow is pointing incorrect.

cheers
JJB
2023-1-12
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

Only took 3 flights this time (lucky to not have to get an hour of flight time for it to happen, but unlucky since it usually takes more :p ). Everything was fine until a little more than 8 minutes in on this flight. The camera, thus the quad is pointing straight up the driveway (which is North of it's current position), but the drone in the map view is off to the right (which is the direction it always goes off toward when it happens).

For others (and thanks for your inputs). No metal roofs, no metal sheds and once again, this only happens occasionally. My tablet compass is fine (did a quick calibrate 2 flights back).
2023-1-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ssayer Posted at 1-12 08:40
Only took 3 flights this time (lucky to not have to get an hour of flight time for it to happen, but unlucky since it usually takes more :p ). Everything was fine until a little more than 8 minutes in on this flight. The camera, thus the quad is pointing straight up the driveway (which is North of it's current position), but the drone in the map view is off to the right (which is the direction it always goes off toward when it happens).

[view_image]

Hi,

If you like post the flightlog for this flight.
In the log compass data is found.

use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2023-1-12
Use props
Prezzodrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

I’d use the official app.   This looks dodgy.  
2023-1-12
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

Litchi is dodgy? Are you serious?? Do you know anything at all about Litchi and who they are??? Sheesh...
2023-1-12
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-12 11:13
Hi,

If you like post the flightlog for this flight.

Here it is:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/262K57PN4PBR4W9EPMY6

Pretty sedentary flight, but... I was trying to push it to screw up the compass. From what I can see, the compass went out at around the 10m11s mark.
2023-1-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Kindly please perform the compass calibration on your aircraft away from any metals or possible interference. You may also try to have a test flight in an open space to see if the issue persists. Just a friendly reminder, we strongly recommend using the DJI Fly app to fly your unit. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-1-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your log, see my charts of your data.

Compass at 6m47.8 heading 220.8, next record 170.1.

Forgot to ask for this test to be 100% sure at wich heading drone was on the ground before take-off.
In the log the heading = 012 degree.

Can you remember if the 012 this is correct ?  if you cannot remeber, try again this flight and position your mini2 exactly at N or W or....
For this, Power ON your drone and do not change heading while powering ON. (bit akward to do so, but possible, as the power button is not on top...)
Why,if compass is interfered during powering ON it normally, after takeoff, correct the heading to the actually heading. But sometimes later in flight....

BTW DJI has changed the firmware to deal with compass changes due to interference powering ON the drone, but will confirm this to me.
'Normally' when compass heading is changed like this, a fly-away will happen...., not in your flight.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2023-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules