Does my drone's GPS signal depends on my phone's GPS?
3103 3 2023-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BoozingBearMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75810 ft
Indonesia

Hi folks!

Just wondering, does my drone's GPS signal strength depends on my phone's GPS or the use completely separate GPS module?
bcs my phone is pretty old, dont want that to interfere with my drone's flight quality.

Thanks in advance!
2023-1-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, BoozingBearMan. Thank you for reaching out. The GPS module of the DJI Mini SE drone is located inside the upper shell between the two front aircraft arm shafts. This means that it is not dependent on the mobile phone's GPS. To ensure a good signal, we recommend flying the drone in open environments. Moreover, GPS may not work properly due to interference with the compass. Minimize interference by avoiding areas with metal, radio transmission towers, high-voltage lines, substations, and high-power electromagnetic interference equipment. We hope this helps. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day.
2023-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 1-23 00:08
Hi, BoozingBearMan. Thank you for reaching out. The GPS module of the DJI Mini SE drone is located inside the upper shell between the two front aircraft arm shafts. This means that it is not dependent on the mobile phone's GPS. To ensure a good signal, we recommend flying the drone in open environments. Moreover, GPS may not work properly due to interference with the compass. Minimize interference by avoiding areas with metal, radio transmission towers, high-voltage lines, substations, and high-power electromagnetic interference equipment. We hope this helps. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day.

I know your prepared script says all that, but none of those are going to affect your GPS reception.
You need to get better scripts.
And for any to affect your compass, the drone would have to be very, very, very close. (closer to them than anyone is going to fly)
2023-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your drone has a perfectly good GPS receiver as does your phone.
You can fly perfectly well without the phone's GPS, because it's not used to fly.
That's because what's important is knowing where the drone is at any time.
You already know where the phone is.
2023-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules