Microsoft ICE - 360 Spheres Pixel Dimensions Too Small
585 3 2023-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone offer any advice about using Microsoft ICE to create 360 degree spheres?
I've created lots in the past using it, I'm not sure if a (recent) firmware update has caused a problem, but now everytime I use ICE, the pixel dimensions of the created 360 are way too small.

I know I can use of panorama software, like PanoramaStudio 3 Pro and PTGUI. But ICE is the least crap at creating them.
I'm using the DNG files.
Please see screen grab below.

Thank you.

HM.jpg
2023-1-24
Use props
SPLflyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144829 ft
Germany

But this is not a new problem with ICE. Using the original DNGs has always produced only a resolution-reduced result. This seems to be due to the JPG preview image embedded in DNG, which only has a resolution of 960x720 px. If you take into account the overlapping pixels that are dropped during stitching, the final result is a pano of just over 5000 px.

The only way to achieve full-frame panoramas with ICE is to convert the DNGs to TIFFs beforehand.
2023-1-25
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

SPLflyer Posted at 1-25 23:57
But this is not a new problem with ICE. Using the original DNGs has always produced only a resolution-reduced result. This seems to be due to the JPG preview image embedded in DNG, which only has a resolution of 960x720 px. If you take into account the overlapping pixels that are dropped during stitching, the final result is a pano of just over 5000 px.

The only way to achieve full-frame panoramas with ICE is to convert the DNGs to TIFFs beforehand.

Thank you very much for your help.
I'm sure I've used DNGs directly in ICE before. But anyway, I'll convert them to TIFFs from now on.

I created these two 360's by first running the DNGs through "DxO PureRAW 2", before loading them into ICE.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=283974
2023-1-26
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

SPLflyer Posted at 1-25 23:57
But this is not a new problem with ICE. Using the original DNGs has always produced only a resolution-reduced result. This seems to be due to the JPG preview image embedded in DNG, which only has a resolution of 960x720 px. If you take into account the overlapping pixels that are dropped during stitching, the final result is a pano of just over 5000 px.

The only way to achieve full-frame panoramas with ICE is to convert the DNGs to TIFFs beforehand.

That's indeed good to know, and I didn't. Sometimes ICE produces much nicer image quality than PanoramaStudio or PTGUI with less efforts, so I still consider it sometimes as an alternative. And I was wondering about this sizing issue as well.

Thanks for this helpful hint!
2023-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules