OA3 Worth Purchasing?
1366 32 2023-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
united by water
lvl.4
United States

Hey all, I've been following all the issues that have been revolving around the release of the OA3 (focus, overheating with the new FW update and some others). But I have also heard a lot of positive things about it as well. I have the OA1 and still works great (couple little glitches here and there) but overall it's been solid. Wondering if it's worth taking a shot a buying one and hoping I get camera from a "fixed focus" production batch. Thoughts?

Thx - A
2023-1-25
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

YIM 11/2023

The Action 3 is still at $329.99 and $439.99 for the  adventurer.
4kK120fps the camera will overheat, noted by DJI, and does not overheat if correctly using the camera. The Action 3 got additional Rocksteady added and 10-bit.   a great small camera to carry with  you like your phone, to get service every spot you are at. there will always be a small issue that one will not be happy with and that is how things are in life, want something perfect, seek another product
2023-1-25
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think it’s a well designed camera.

I had issues with sharpness and in particular closer focus, so I have been flitting between the GoPro 11 and Action 3 because I just can’t settle with one or the other. Close focus seemed better on the GoPro but after getting the Action 3, my attention very much went to focus because my camera was quite poor. I started looking much more critically at both and found actually, the GoPro can also get into ‘fuzzy’ territory close up as well. I’d just never noticed. The Action 3 got me looking way more closely because when I got it, it was quite bad.

I still battle with myself over which one to use and even this morning I went out and took a series of same shots on the GoPro and Action 3. Unedited, the GoPro was SOFTER but then I use it with low sharpness and sharpen in post. If anything, it is easier to over sharpen the Action 3 now because it goes so ‘brittle’ looking on the edges with too much sharpening! I wish that Osmo would add a sharpness setting to the firmware.

To be honest, I found it hard to choose between the two cameras this morning. This was in dull light as well. The GoPro perhaps kept more in highlights (or it was exposing slightly less) but the Action 3 is impressive; especially at the price.

Had I have known what I know now and got the Action 3 updated when I got mine,  I think I would save my money and buy the Action over the GoPro.

Reasons:

Good colour. Improved sharpness now. Really pleasant looking picture overall. Dead easy to use with brilliant interface. Good sound actually with a decent mic too! Great battery life. No freezing or lock ups. Excellent customer support. (I've even put a large diaphragm condenser mic into the Action just to see how it sounded ....... it was great!! People tend to use cheap lavs, but put on a device to mic and it's a nice sounding camera; surprising actually for an Action cam.)

It’s worth trying out for sure imo.
2023-1-25
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s a lot better than A1, it has many new features. As a run and go there aren’t many other cameras out there that will give you better bang for your buck.
You won’t be lucky to get a good one but will be very unlucky to get a bad one. Overheating is not a problem unless you are continuously videoing for a very long time in high resolution and much more expensive cameras than A3 have much more problems with overheating.

The action part of it. Quick start, stabilising, ruggedness, super long battery life and ease of use probably make this as good an action camera you can buy.
2023-1-25
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

As long as you don't have the focus issue (which is a gamble) and you don't need accurate colour science, or gyro data, then the OSA3 is a good buy. It looks like the new firmware over-sharpens as a way to counteract the poor focus (on some models). This is unfortunate. DJI really need to implement an option to turn in camera sharpening off.

The GoPro is heavier, bulkier, and more expensive to set up a decent external audio, but has far more community support (especially when it comes to editing)t, a higher resolution so allows for more reframing after the fact. Better colour, better dynamic range, and lens flares are better controlled. The DJI has a longer battery life, and is more user-friendly, though loses some points as sanctions mean you have to go through MIMO app.

Oddly whilst GoPro has been haven't sees 15% off the Hero 11 and the Mini at just €199 DJI doesn't seem to have done anything at all on price. If anything it's gone up in the Euro jurisdictions I've been looking at.
Personally, If I didn't have an action camera, I'd be waiting for a sale other decrease in price before pulling the trigger on the Action 3.

2023-1-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I love my Osmo Action 1 and I love my Osmo Action 3.
The really good stabilization on OA3 is just amazing and it is actually rock steady in most cases I have testet it out in. m
My first unit that I bought back in September, was really out of focus, but my replaced one is really good and is from November batch.

I actually plan to buy another OA3, or Insta360 when I have sold my GoPro 10.
2023-1-25
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Just remember the Action 3 is not yet matured.   and has an awesome on the fly start up after initiated. agree add sharpness control I rather keep sharpness Low on a gopro as they Always increased it by  medium default
2023-1-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes buy one
2023-1-25
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mikedefieslife Posted at 1-25 05:50
As long as you don't have the focus issue (which is a gamble) and you don't need accurate colour science, or gyro data, then the OSA3 is a good buy. It looks like the new firmware over-sharpens as a way to counteract the poor focus (on some models). This is unfortunate. DJI really need to implement an option to turn in camera sharpening off.

The GoPro is heavier, bulkier, and more expensive to set up a decent external audio, but has far more community support (especially when it comes to editing)t, a higher resolution so allows for more reframing after the fact. Better colour, better dynamic range, and lens flares are better controlled. The DJI has a longer battery life, and is more user-friendly, though loses some points as sanctions mean you have to go through MIMO app.

Quite strange, I’m the other way around. I ‘think’ I prefer the Action colour to my GoPro 11, 9 and 7. One thing I’ve always not liked with GoPro colour has been skin tone. Often looks slightly ‘plastic’  to me! The 11 is better though in that respect.

I wasn’t too fussed over the original Action colour. That always looked like it veered into ‘purple’ to me but the new one has a nice freshness about its colour that gives a really pleasant looking picture.

Especially in UK, where we’re surrounded by grey, grey weather and dark green foliage rather than beach blues of warmer countries.

Some of the video examples posted on here show just how bland and grey the UK can look on camera, but I think the Action looks mostly pleasant in the way that it renders colour and does quite well even with that grey footage I've watched here.
2023-1-25
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
United States

No, don't buy it.
2023-1-25
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hahaha. You devil!
2023-1-25
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I buy the camera if:

1. you got the funds for it.
2 if the old camera is  retired, or broken.  

I not sell off any camera till you are 110% happy, you read on here and online, people making bad judgement calls , I have to sell to get the camera and regret their   decisions.  we can only offer what we like/dislike

to joke around is not what we lie to do but  please be careful listening influinceers on youtube that  got their product direct from DJI to  review  for them.  Happy filming
2023-1-25
Use props
united by water
lvl.4
United States

Ha, both of you are straight shooters, only in different directions, I love it! I appreciate everyone's feedback.
2023-1-25
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
United States

If you already have an action camera and you buy the OA3, you will just start comparing the two. Or three. Or four (depending on how many cameras you have). Then you will realize this camera doesn't have that function, that camera doesn't have this function, this does that better, that does this better, my phone doesn't connect, it's faster, it's slower, firmware this, firmware that, etc. And when you start comparing you will never be happy because there's always be a flaw somewhere.

So no, don't buy it. Use the OA1 and just be happy with it until they will no longer manufacture batteries for it. Then go and buy a new one.
2023-1-25
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

united by water Posted at 1-25 12:41
Ha, both of you are straight shooters, only in different directions, I love it! I appreciate everyone's feedback.

It’s ok. Nothing personal! Just very funny, but I have to admit, he’s right. If you already have Action cams, you WILL compare and wish for all kinds of different things.

I have far too many cameras and it’s bad for me.  14 or 15 cameras in all. (Not just Action cams) Don't mention the word microphone!

I’m a sick man ………. ;)

It was the exact contrast to two posts higher than Osmonauta's post that had me laughing!! This is a high contrast forum for sure.......

2023-1-25
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I already  made my choice, and  use each camera differently what won me over is direct usb type c connection to a wireless mic. and 10-bit without breaking the bank
2023-1-25
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-25 13:22
I already  made my choice, and  use each camera differently what won me over is direct usb type c connection to a wireless mic. and 10-bit without breaking the bank

I’m panting to get at the DJI wireless, but would like it cheaper! No dealer has approached me yet .......
2023-1-25
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-25 13:24
I’m panting to get at the DJI wireless, but would like it cheaper! No dealer has approached me yet .......

DJI wireless Mic,  save your Reward points, and or referrals  given, best of luck with getting one from a Dealer.
2023-1-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-25 13:24

This one look promising

2023-1-25
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-25 20:21
This one look promising

I have two Rode Wireless mics and Joby sent me a couple to review some time ago, but the DJI looks and sounds really good. Works over long distance too it seems.
2023-1-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-25 23:32
I have two Rode Wireless mics and Joby sent me a couple to review some time ago, but the DJI looks and sounds really good. Works over long distance too it seems.

Nevery tried any kind of wireless mics, but I see there are people complaining about DJI Wireless, but idk.
2023-1-26
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Mikedefieslife Posted at 1-25 05:50

GP11 is about 10g lighter. And another gram down in favor of the GP, is the absence of a magnetic mount....that's for those where grams play a major role.
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-26 01:23
Nevery tried any kind of wireless mics, but I see there are people complaining about DJI Wireless, but idk.

Do you know what the problems were?
2023-1-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-26 03:00
Do you know what the problems were?

I saw something about connection problem and also they ask for a new firmware to fix things
2023-1-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Everyone talked good about DJI's mic how much better itis over the  Rode,  I rather go with a smalrig on the  Action 3 as it swivals , there is one more company, Ulanzi,
2023-1-26
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So many people love to complicate a very simple question.

Ignore all this squit and let us know what you did
2023-1-26
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-26 14:06

I think what happens is they forget the topic and think everything revolves around them. So many comments off topic simply because so many people wanting to talk about useless endeavours that clearly show they need to be more important than the OP.

So lets get back to is OA3 Worth Purchasing.
Be prepared to get downvoted by those procrastinators who will never make a decision…..

Its hilarious on this forum, for weeks they complain about focus, now the same people complain about sound. Nothing will ever be right and we will never likely see results of these complaints so making it impossible for anyone to compare what these complaints are about. Please post these results that are continually bugging or showing A3 to be a below par camera. I get the feeling that complaints come from 3rd parties opposite you tube video reviews (being totally one sided) because I have not seen a single video posted to this website showing just how bad these users continually say this camera is.
It is the same few and its getting boring right now.
2023-1-26
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

It looks like the OA1 came out only 3 years ago. Technically still brand new. I thought it’s much older.
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 1-26 23:06
It looks like the OA1 came out only 3 years ago. Technically still brand new. I thought it’s much older.

Seems like much longer than that. The second one was a bit different, but I think the 3 is an improvement on the first one. I find the colour of the A3 to be nice and vibrant straight from camera.

Internal sound on the A3 isn't shabby either. I was surprised to see that it gives a stereo soundtrack actually. I think the original was mono so in comparison, the A3 probably has better sound too. I really like the fact that you can go straight in via usb with no adapter (like the GoPro) if you want to add an external mic to bring down surrounding noise.

2023-1-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

May 15, 2019 - Osmo Action

Almost 4 years ago
2023-1-27
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-25 09:56
Quite strange, I’m the other way around. I ‘think’ I prefer the Action colour to my GoPro 11, 9 and 7. One thing I’ve always not liked with GoPro colour has been skin tone. Often looks slightly ‘plastic’  to me! The 11 is better though in that respect.

I wasn’t too fussed over the original Action colour. That always looked like it veered into ‘purple’ to me but the new one has a nice freshness about its colour that gives a really pleasant looking picture.

I'm talking about the colour science not what the colours look like straight out of the camera when not in a log type mode. There are IDT files for converting gopro protune into rec709, from which you'd then start your colour correction and grading process.
2023-1-27
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Aprile/may is right around the corner for the four years WOW
2023-1-27
Use props
united by water
lvl.4
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-26 14:06

No BS coming from Bigplumbs....I respect that. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
2023-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules