12Next >
2477 78 2023-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11678681/Drones-soon-forced-electronic-NUMBER-PLATES-police-track-them.html
2023-1-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Telegraph covered it too.

"The Civil Aviation Authority has commissioned Swiss firm Murzilli Consulting to “develop a strategy for any future remote ID requirement for UK drone and remotely piloted services”.

It is understood officials are working towards a deadline of April 1 202 to get a RID system running in the UK. The plans are due to be announced in March this year.

They're getting more and more anti-drone.  Class marks gone, VLOS "clarified" and now this.

My issue isn't remote ID itself - its the fact that the remote ID is available to absolutely everyone in the area and not just the people with a genuine need to know.

Looks like the more the DfT get involved, the more things get restricted.
2023-1-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No different to what the EU and USA are doing with remote id.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/scie ... ice-track-them.html
2023-1-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Yes and that's the danger.

Allowing people with no genuine need to know to have access to the in formation at any point in time.
2023-1-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok, lets play this forward.  People with no genuine need to know anything have the info.  They still cannot stop legitimate legal recreational and commercial drone usage.  These people attacking the hobby and industry need their safety blanket, so there it is.  We can still go fly.
2023-1-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Meanwhile lets play that forward to the real world.
Many people hate drones.  Many don't want them in or around their area.  People go out and confront the operators quite frequently even now.

They can threaten, intimidate, obstruct or in many ways affect someones perfectly legal flight.

Fly around a castle or monument here, even from a legal location and its common to see the staff run out like locusts and desperate start searching for the operator.  They'd LOVE a phone app to tell them where the person is standing to go straight to them.

What safety benefit at all is there for people with no genuine need for that data to actually have it?  What problem does it solve? What about the problems it creates?

What other recreational activities disclose the location information of someone conducting them to every single person in a wide area for no apparent reason?

2023-1-26
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 1-26 04:49
Telegraph covered it too.

Will take them til 2026 to approve apparently and current drones will still "work" perhaps...
2023-1-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 1-26 06:19
Meanwhile lets play that forward to the real world.
Many people hate drones.  Many don't want them in or around their area.  People go out and confront the operators quite frequently even now.

Agreed, there is a privacy and safety concern for pilots if the general public can access this data, this has to be a breach in Data Protection if the general public can see it. The part that gets me is that the public will know where you live, many of us take off from home, we do it with privacy in mind, i do not record gardens, certainly not purposely.

I don't agree with it and you can bet ya last dollar that it wont be the end of it either, sub 250g will be hit with more restrictions by the time 1/1/26 comes around...
2023-1-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another nail in the coffin of recreatonal drone flying.
2023-1-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 1-26 08:16

Without a doubt, im not sure if it would be an issue where i fly to do my testing, i think it would only be used if a drone was being a nuisance where it shouldn't be...
2023-1-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-26 08:33
Without a doubt, im not sure if it would be an issue where i fly to do my testing, i think it would only be used if a drone was being a nuisance where it shouldn't be...

Who's going to define "nuisance" though?  It's a suitably nebulous term that could be used to describe any situation
2023-1-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Plenty of people hate drones and the only thing stopping them confronting users a lot of the time is they can't find them.
Every Karen having a phone that can show them on google maps where the person is will only increase this.

Lets also not forget the comedy site flying over some NT/Heritage sites from a legal location watching the staff come out like ants to hunt for the person flying (and failing).  They'd love a phone app to tell them where to go.
2023-1-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 1-26 08:44
Who's going to define "nuisance" though?  It's a suitably nebulous term that could be used to describe any situation

I think it will be down to location, i.e. places that we should never be flying at, airports, prisons etc, those will be the main focus but also if a member of the public phones in to say someone is spying on them, that will also probably trigger a response too.

I am more concerned about Joe Public having this information, knowing my private details and my exact location, it opens up a world of hurt thats for sure...
2023-1-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 1-26 08:47
Plenty of people hate drones and the only thing stopping them confronting users a lot of the time is they can't find them.
Every Karen having a phone that can show them on google maps where the person is will only increase this.

Worst part is, we cant even get google maps on our RC's, lol
2023-1-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-26 09:16
I think it will be down to location, i.e. places that we should never be flying at, airports, prisons etc, those will be the main focus but also if a member of the public phones in to say someone is spying on them, that will also probably trigger a response too.

I am more concerned about Joe Public having this information, knowing my private details and my exact location, it opens up a world of hurt thats for sure...

I agree. Bordering on invasion of our privacy, Data Protection, call it what you will.
2023-1-26
Use props
ShadowyMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48392 ft
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 1-26 09:19
I agree. Bordering on invasion of our privacy, Data Protection, call it what you will.

I think that's part of the issue - someone's privacy gets invaded by an inconsiderate drone operator.

The kind who can't be bothered to read the regs or maybe even practice safe flying. Possibly someone who's inclined to fly drones in banned areas too.

I'd love it if the solution was as 'simple' as requiring all drone pilots to be licensed in some reasonable and cost effective way. Just like cars. But, just like cars, there would always be those few who are happy to risk losing their gear for the sake of some stunt.

Let's face it, there is a real issue with some very few drone pilots that gets amplified a hundredfold by the popular press. So expect more knee jerk reactions in the future, as futile as they may be.

2023-1-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ShadowyMan Posted at 1-26 09:33
I think that's part of the issue - someone's privacy gets invaded by an inconsiderate drone operator.

The kind who can't be bothered to read the regs or maybe even practice safe flying. Possibly someone who's inclined to fly drones in banned areas too.

Yeah. And situations like this one dont help either.
This occured only a few miles from where I live.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-64214988
2023-1-26
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Blériot53 Posted at 1-26 09:48
Yeah. And situations like this one dont help either.
This occured only a few miles from where I live.  

Ah yes, well done! Another one who clicked randomly and obtained his A1/A2 training certificate.

Let's be honest, planes are made to resist bird collisions, so a small drone...
What poses a problem is that in the minds of those who make the laws and who know nothing about it:
(Drone + plane)*airprox = two A380s colliding in mid-flight.

The result is that every time one of us does sh*t and someone see that, drone-averse politicians seize the opportunity to make the law even harder.

2023-1-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-26 12:48
Ah yes, well done! Another one who clicked randomly and obtained his A1/A2 training certificate.

Let's be honest, planes are made to resist bird collisions, so a small drone...

That's exactly the situation.  The responsible majority are demonized by a hysterical press seeking sensationalism - fed to them by the irresponsible actions of a minority.
2023-1-26
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Blériot53 Posted at 1-26 13:05
That's exactly the situation.  The responsible majority are demonized by a hysterical press seeking sensationalism - fed to them by the irresponsible actions of a minority.

It's sad for us.
I am not against the law. They help frame things. But if politicians think a piece of paper is going to stop madmen from committing wrongdoing, they're kidding themselves.
I think that the day when the transport of people by flying taxi will be authorized on a large scale in agglomerations. This will be the beginning of the end of the drone.
Volocopter brings urban air mobility to life
2023-1-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-26 13:08
It's sad for us.
I am not against the law. They help frame things. But if politicians think a piece of paper is going to stop madmen from committing wrongdoing, they're kidding themselves.
I think that the day when the transport of people by flying taxi will be authorized on a large scale in agglomerations. This will be the beginning of the end of the drone.

Best just enjoy it while we can, and be philosophical when it all comes to and end,
2023-1-26
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just ignore all this nonsense no one cares
2023-1-26
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-26 14:03
Just ignore all this nonsense no one cares

I'm trying to avoid the Karen's. This might help em locate me!
2023-1-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

agreed, i think many are missing the point or the end game.  i hate the privacy aspect as well but....  probably nobody will agree with me but i'm going to say it anyway.  the purpose of any type of registration including remote id is to facilitate government confiscation.  ultimately you have to get everyone identified and documented and have a strong tracking method and then when the right time comes up.....confiscation and/or banning drones.  the goal would be a legal method to make it happen (universal registration) and a viable method of enforcement (thru remote id).  not going to happen this year or next year....but soon/eventually.  
2023-1-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

primeshooter Posted at 1-26 14:18
I'm trying to avoid the Karen's. This might help em locate me!

This is the issue.
The only thing preventing Karen confronting drone fliers now is she can't find them.
If shes got an app to tell her where they are its going to happen more and more often.
2023-1-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

One point worth pointing out is on Android its trivial to spoof a home location.
Just enable it in developer options and use one of the free apps.

So pre-flight with RID set your location to where you want the Karen's to go running looking for you and watch from a distance laughing.

Dont think its possible on Apple though.
2023-1-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-26 04:50
No different to what the EU and USA are doing with remote id.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11678681/Drones-soon-forced-electronic-NUMBER-PLATES-police-track-them.html

You're exactly right.  Seems some of the overreach by the FAA is spreading to other countries.  Just a start to the end of current recreational flying as we know it today.
2023-1-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-26 08:16

This is what I've been saying since the first mention of remote ID by the FAA here.  Now it appears remote ID will spread to many other countries.  Only a matter of time until recreational flying as we know it today is gone.

And this is not even addressing the privacy issues but I'll not get on that soap box.
2023-1-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-27 04:53
You're exactly right.  Seems some of the overreach by the FAA is spreading to other countries.  Just a start to the end of current recreational flying as we know it today.

Did you see the post about the app that recreated flight logs from the rid broadcasts. It was in the tutorials section.
2023-1-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-27 04:56
This is what I've been saying since the first mention of remote ID by the FAA here.  Now it appears remote ID will spread to many other countries.  Only a matter of time until recreational flying as we know it today is gone.

And this is not even addressing the privacy issues but I'll not get on that soap box.

There are a number of political and business agendas, unfortunately, that want us recreational drone users hounded out of the skies.
2023-1-27
Use props
Alwresearchteam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4322398 ft
United Kingdom

Wasnt it the same with CB radio and model aircraft in the early 80's
2023-1-27
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 1-27 04:49
One point worth pointing out is on Android its trivial to spoof a home location.
Just enable it in developer options and use one of the free apps.

Haha now this is what is gonna be happening. The castle analogy you said earlier I laughed out loud. So true. They are like locusts. They run out like it's 9/11 or something; loosing their minds over a tiny drone legally imaging their castle / monument. This is why I never take off from their property ie its legal but they would still argue with me if they found me. Main reason I keep this covert is because of idiots like them.
2023-1-27
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Once it comes in i may well spoof location to the tallest tower in a castle to make then run upstairs.
OR a slowly moving location around the perimeter to get the National Trust professional Karens their 10,000 steps for the day.
2023-1-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-27 05:48
Did you see the post about the app that recreated flight logs from the rid broadcasts. It was in the tutorials section.

I sure did.  This just proves that remote ID is way too much of an overreach by the FAA.  I don't see a problem with law enforcement having access but to give it to anybody and every body is definitely a breach of privacy.  I guess in this day and age we no longer should have any expectation of privacy.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is just the beginning of the end for recreational drone flyers.  
2023-1-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-27 06:48
There are a number of political and business agendas, unfortunately, that want us recreational drone users hounded out of the skies.

Recreational flyers do not have a strong or high powered lobbyist like the commercial drone delivery companies do.  We will relegated to flying in flying club areas only and the fixed wing RC pilots there already dislike drones so it is a no win situation.

Time to invest my money in underwater drones.  At least the FAA doesn't own that venue (yet).  
2023-1-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-27 13:23
Recreational flyers do not have a strong or high powered lobbyist like the commercial drone delivery companies do.  We will relegated to flying in flying club areas only and the fixed wing RC pilots there already dislike drones so it is a no win situation.

Time to invest my money in underwater drones.  At least the FAA doesn't own that venue (yet).

Don't forget the 12-mile limit if you approach UK waters  
2023-1-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-27 13:28
Don't forget the 12-mile limit if you approach UK waters

12 mile limit noted.  

I'm going to buy a small island, anchor my boat there and allow visitors but no new permanent residents.  A country of 1.   

2023-1-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-27 13:34
12 mile limit noted.  

I'm going to buy a small island, anchor my boat there and allow visitors but no new permanent residents.  A country of 1.

Will you be issuing drone licences to visitors?
2023-1-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-27 13:35
Will you be issuing drone licences to visitors?

Yes, free of charge
2023-1-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It gets better and better
2023-1-27
Use props
12Next >