Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mini 3 Pro - Response from DJI Regarding Waypoints
9526 32 2023-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
azjacks3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11568 ft
United States

This is my first post to the forum, and I am new to the drone world.  As several have mentioned, being new, I purchased the Mini 3 Pro after a lot of research but not realizing that flight planning was not available with waypoints and such that it could be used with Litchi. Yes, the purchase was completely my lack of knowledge.

However, as many of you probably already have, I emailed DJI support to request this functionality be made available for the Mini 3 Pro.  I received a response I do not entirely understand, so I am posting it here to see if anyone can help me understand their response.  I hope this is acceptable to post.

Dear Client
Thank you for contacting DJI.

1.       The Mini 3 Pro does not have an ability to fly mission in firmware. So even SDK is released to support Mini 3 Pro, the standard DJI Mission is not supported. But you can develop your own fly mission based on the SDK virtual stick functions. There are lots of 3rd party app already done it such as Litchi and droneLink.

2.       The MSDK v5.3.0 will support Mini 3 Pro and Mini 3 on earily April, 2023.

Kindly Regards,
DJI Developer Support

Can someone tell me what is meant by developing your own fly mission based on the SDK virtual stick functions?  Is he suggesting that the Mini3 Pro can use Litchi?  Also, does anyone understand the comment regarding the MSDK and what this indicates?

I appreciate anyone helping me understand this, and I apologize in advance for my novice knowledge of drones.
2023-2-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well, thats new, so no waypoints coming then, but poss Litchi, but then that means that we will have to use the N1 controller unless the image on another showing the DJI RC opened up to 4rd party apps is actually a leak from DJI perhaps?
2023-2-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Virtual stick missions are useless and MSDK v5.3.0 is only android OS.
2023-2-3
Use props
azjacks3
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-3 07:40
Virtual stick missions are useless and MSDK v5.3.0 is only android OS.

Ok.  For those who use Android OS, what will the MSDK provide or update?
2023-2-3
Use props
azjacks3
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-3 07:40
Virtual stick missions are useless and MSDK v5.3.0 is only android OS.

2023-2-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

azjacks3 Posted at 2-3 07:43

It will allow 3rd party developers to create apps that can connect to the drone,  so for example you can buy Litchi and then fly waypoints with the Mini 2.  Sadly though they use virtual sticks so the drone and controller have to be connected all the time and it basically flys the drone for you rather than the drone flying itself.  
2023-2-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2-3 07:33
Well, thats new, so no waypoints coming then, but poss Litchi, but then that means that we will have to use the N1 controller unless the image on another showing the DJI RC opened up to 4rd party apps is actually a leak from DJI perhaps?

Interestingly the SDK site and the git hub has no mention of this change.  It still says no old products will be added.  
2023-2-3
Use props
azjacks3
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-3 07:46
It will allow 3rd party developers to create apps that can connect to the drone,  so for example you can buy Litchi and then fly waypoints with the Mini 2.  Sadly though they use virtual sticks so the drone and controller have to be connected all the time and it basically flys the drone for you rather than the drone flying itself.

So, once again, I apologize for my novice knowledge, but from what I understand from your response is that it looks like there is a possibility that flight planning will be available via Litchi, etc. except that the controller would need to be close enough/in contact to the drone at all times rather than it flying out of range and operating autonomously?  Is that right?  Thanks again for your responses.
2023-2-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

azjacks3 Posted at 2-3 07:52
So, once again, I apologize for my novice knowledge, but from what I understand from your response is that it looks like there is a possibility that flight planning will be available via Litchi, etc. except that the controller would need to be close enough/in contact to the drone at all times rather than it flying out of range and operating autonomously?  Is that right?  Thanks again for your responses.

Yes thats right.   With virtual sticks though the accuracy is nowhere as good as native.  
2023-2-3
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558517 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well at least that is good news that SDK is indeed coming now for Mini 3 series, open up more tools for it. But yeah sucks to have to get another controller to use that, since RC is useless atm for that.
2023-2-3
Use props
azjacks3
lvl.1
United States

Mastoras Posted at 2-3 08:12
Well at least that is good news that SDK is indeed coming now for Mini 3 series, open up more tools for it. But yeah sucks to have to get another controller to use that, since RC is useless atm for that.

If that is the case, and you would not be able to use the RC, what controller would you be able to use with the possible increased tools/capabilities?
2023-2-3
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558517 ft
  • >>>
United States

azjacks3 Posted at 2-3 08:19
If that is the case, and you would not be able to use the RC, what controller would you be able to use with the possible increased tools/capabilities?

Id have to get the RC-N1 the cheap option or go broke and get RC Pro - (very weird the middle option they offered doesn't offer 3rd party)
2023-2-3
Use props
MS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

"The Mini 3 Pro does not have an ability to fly mission in firmware."

That could mean, the current firmware doesn't support Waypoints. But doesn't rule out a future firmware update that does support it.
2023-2-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-3 07:33
Well, thats new, so no waypoints coming then, but poss Litchi, but then that means that we will have to use the N1 controller unless the image on another showing the DJI RC opened up to 4rd party apps is actually a leak from DJI perhaps?

I missed that leak on 3rd party Apps on the RC.  That would be nice if DJI does that.  
2023-2-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mastoras Posted at 2-3 08:12

"the sdk is indeed coming now"....not sure i'm ready to say that so soon; we've been fooled before.
more info on this topic here:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=273030
2023-2-3
Use props
Zhillz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2914944 ft
United States

I'll take it. This release should end my regret over selling my mini 2.
2023-2-3
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

China COVID factory plop. I think DJI might be about to put everything on hold, anyway.
2023-2-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, sorry for any confusion caused. Could you please tell me the email you contacted and if there is a reference ticket number? I would love to check more details.
And to clarify, Mini 3 Pro does not support SDK including MSDK, and we do not suggest using third-party software for flying the drone, accidents/damages caused by using the third-party software is not covered by warranty. Hope for your kind understanding.
2023-2-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2-3 19:21
Hi there, sorry for any confusion caused. Could you please tell me the email you contacted and if there is a reference ticket number? I would love to check more details.
And to clarify, Mini 3 Pro does not support SDK including MSDK, and we do not suggest using third-party software for flying the drone, accidents/damages caused by using the third-party software is not covered by warranty. Hope for your kind understanding.

It doesnt yet, it is supposed to be coming in April as per the developer forum here
2023-2-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 2-4 17:40
It doesnt yet, it is supposed to be coming in April as per the developer forum here

Thank you for your information, we will double confirm with the corresponding team.
2023-2-4
Use props
DJI-William
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro does not support the native DJI waypointMission. But some 3rd party app have developed their own waypointMission by using the virtual sticks. The virtual sticks are the very basic flight command to control the behaviour of the aircraft. Some people may like the 3rd aprty waypointMission rather than our native waypointMission.
2023-2-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2-4 20:00
Thank you for your information, we will double confirm with the corresponding team.

Here you go, Susan -
https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en- ... mer-level-aircraft-
2023-2-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-5 18:49
Here you go, Susan -
https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en- ... mer-level-aircraft-

I see, thank you for your information.
2023-2-6
Use props
NewCasualPilot
lvl.1

United States

azjacks3 Posted at 2-3 07:52
So, once again, I apologize for my novice knowledge, but from what I understand from your response is that it looks like there is a possibility that flight planning will be available via Litchi, etc. except that the controller would need to be close enough/in contact to the drone at all times rather than it flying out of range and operating autonomously?  Is that right?  Thanks again for your responses.

I am new as well, is it that bad that the controller is used since I thought you had to keep the drone if physical view anyway?
2023-2-14
Use props
Luggruff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 147684 ft
Greece

This is really bad. For one, they should release the native waypoint missions for the Mini 3 Pro, as to not force users to go with 3rd party apps to get the functionality - and lose warranty (which users for sure will, since there is no alternative!). Also the fact of how the RC was marketed, I feel cheated as I thought I bought a superior product to the RC-N1. Alas, no. Now I have paid more and will have to pay EVEN MORE, to get possibilities that the CHEAPER option provides. Should be enough for a consumer case against DJI for sure in many countries (Norway, I am looking at you and "Forbrukerrådet").
2023-4-27
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Luggruff Posted at 4-27 03:40
This is really bad. For one, they should release the native waypoint missions for the Mini 3 Pro, as to not force users to go with 3rd party apps to get the functionality - and lose warranty (which users for sure will, since there is no alternative!). Also the fact of how the RC was marketed, I feel cheated as I thought I bought a superior product to the RC-N1. Alas, no. Now I have paid more and will have to pay EVEN MORE, to get possibilities that the CHEAPER option provides. Should be enough for a consumer case against DJI for sure in many countries (Norway, I am looking at you and "Forbrukerrådet").

The DJI RC is better than the N1 RC, its only your phone or tablet that makes the N1 better.

No consumer case would ever stand up based on that, where was it ever stated that you can install 3rd party apps or that waypoints was ever going to be possible without the use or 3rd party app?
2023-4-27
Use props
azjacks3
lvl.1
United States

So, I was originally excited that this SDK was going to be added and available for the Mini 3 Pro, only to be bummed again to see that the RC controller will not be supported for this.  How does that make sense?  So am I to decide to get RC-N1 controller or RC Pro since the RC cant do third party apps?  Should I wait and see if this changes if 3rd party apps will be allowed somehow on the RC?  I would really like to try the beta Dronelink, but obviously cannot since I only have the RC.  Any advice?
2023-4-28
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

Dronelink claims to work on the RC (not tested it).

SDK support is out and that will do missions with virtual sticks.
2023-4-29
Use props
azjacks3
lvl.1
United States

Yeah, but unfortunately, not the RC.

From Dronelink:
"Supported: DJI RC Pro, DJI RC-N1 with modern 64bit Android devices

RC Pro only works with the Mini 3 Pro
    RCN1 (standard controller) will work with both Mini 3 Pro and the Mini 3

Not Supported: iOS, DJI RC, 32bit Android Devices"
2023-4-29
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Missed that bit.

Looks like the RC non-pro is crippled in the same way the original Smart Controller was.
At least with that people worked out how to sideload *some* apps but they've locked the newer one down more successfully.
2023-4-29
Use props
NDS
New

United Kingdom

So what do I need to buy in order to fly way points with dronelink or lichi?  Which controller?
2023-5-3
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

NDS Posted at 5-3 13:43
So what do I need to buy in order to fly way points with dronelink or lichi?  Which controller?

As of now only Dronelink Beta app is out,
Litchi & Maven developers have not yet announced when they will support Mini 3 pro with waypoint mission.

Apps can only be installed on mobile with RC N1 controller or RC pro controller.
2023-5-3
Use props
UweE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

azjacks3 Posted at 4-28 06:36
So, I was originally excited that this SDK was going to be added and available for the Mini 3 Pro, only to be bummed again to see that the RC controller will not be supported for this.  How does that make sense?  So am I to decide to get RC-N1 controller or RC Pro since the RC cant do third party apps?  Should I wait and see if this changes if 3rd party apps will be allowed somehow on the RC?  I would really like to try the beta Dronelink, but obviously cannot since I only have the RC.  Any advice?

It was clear from day 1 of the DJI RC, that they will not allow to install 3rd party apps to this device!
It took me some time last year to decide, whether to buy the DJI RC, knowing that Litchi etc. will not work or go with the N1-controller. I decided to go with the DJI RC.

2023-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules