PLEASE READ!
1924 26 2015-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joshjkl
lvl.1

United States

I have been flying RCs for years. I must first say that I have enjoyed my PS3A up until this point. The new FM download has almost cost me my bird{ Atti mode saved the day}. It was flying great before then. Everyone knows customer service at DJI is well, less than McDonalds. I say lets raise a "Go Fund Me" account or something similar to have lawyers look at everything and see if there is something we can do to improve customer service/crappy update releases that could damage our equipment. At least lets get a new CEO or something to improve communications and testing things before they are released. I'm not against the products per say, but what happens to you after the purchase. Thanks
2015-8-18
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

If a small subset of people have issues with firmware, then the issue is not firmware.  I done dev & test work on firmware for 15 years and while variations do happen, I have yet to read about anyone's fly away or near flyaway or any other issue was actually related to firmware.  Oh yeah I get it "everything was the same but I upgraded and now everything is different" but that's not how firmware or any software works.  Something changed and you either didn't notice or you weren't honest (trust me, a dev never thinks it's THEIR code that broke the build and they go to extreme lengths to not have their mistake exposed).

And yes the damn horse has been beaten into the group about DJI customer service
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

snowride419 Posted at 2015-8-19 08:06
If a small subset of people have issues with firmware, then the issue is not firmware.  I done dev & ...

my man, how correct you are. well said
2015-8-18
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Josh. You might want to read about the CEO of DJI.  
2015-8-18
Use props
joshjkl
lvl.1

United States

Point taken. I'm willing to accept it was my error{ even though I followed The instructions released today}, but now this person with a $1K tool can't use it. I formatted my card twice. Recalibrated everything and did what I was asked. That said, I may have screwed up, but lets get someone in charge to address the customer service issues and help people out w/ such an expensive machine. For Christ sake, I have a 55inch Vivo that answers within 5 minutes. Really we can't just talk to someone. This is the 1st time I've had to contact them. I even had a dealer try to fix it. I mean I hate getting help if I don't need it, but jeez.
2015-8-18
Use props
joshjkl
lvl.1

United States

Skater, I would love to. When I have time I will. I'm sure he's a billionaire.
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

joshjkl Posted at 2015-8-19 08:29
Point taken. I'm willing to accept it was my error{ even though I followed The instructions released ...

having said everything i said, i do feel for you and wonder how i would be reacting if it was me!!!
send me an email and i ll give you my number and maybe we can take care of it. rayrokni@gmail.com or just add me as friend and pm me.
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-19 08:28

i am too lazy to read, who is he skater?
2015-8-18
Use props
joshjkl
lvl.1

United States

rayrokni and snowride419, I understand what you are saying. You won't find any other posts I've presented but the ones today. I have never had issues before and for the most part loved their products. This was my first issue BTW. My bigger complaint is the CS, which I never understood was an issue until reading posts. I tried things from multiple posts in desperation to no avail, but when you can't contact anyone about your baby. Well, it upsetting I guess, at least to me. Not trying to start anything, just saying.
2015-8-18
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

joshjkl Posted at 2015-8-19 08:44
rayrokni and snowride419, I understand what you are saying. You won't find any other posts I've pres ...

We understand your frustration and I personally know that DJI support sucks ballz, and unfortunately i treat my purchase from DJI like i treat a $1 adapter i get thru ebay from china, it's Chinese, and they get away with it, they are crappy in QOS as they mass produce and they are like the upcoming invasion of tiny people that are going to eat everything green on earth and suck it dry.

Meanwhile lets help you fix your phantom while you keep knocking on there door that is built on our money.
2015-8-18
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

I agree with what you are expressing here, but am very curious:
WHAT exactly happened that almost cost you your bird??? Was it a fly-away (guessing) or...?
2015-8-18
Use props
joshjkl
lvl.1

United States

Thinks for the help everyone, I'm working w/ rayrokni to see if we can fix it. Only thing I know is that after update , crap hit the fan, I'll keep info posted. Thanks again
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-19 09:04
I agree with what you are expressing here, but am very curious:
WHAT exactly happened that almost c ...

no , i just talked to him on the phone:
he has P3A and had 128FW with no problems, he updated to 132 and it worked fine for a few days.
he has not had any crashes.
now he gets the gimble overload error
i got him to physically inspect ribbon cable and look at the gimble motor to see if anything is lodged in there
i got him to rotate the gimble gently to see if he can feel any resistance.
everything on the outside looks good and feels good.
so at this point i told him to roll back fw to 128 when it worked fine, once downgraded he then can see if the error disappears and to fly it for a week or so. at that point he can then try the fw update again as maybe the initial fw update somehow got corrupted. or he can stay with 128 if he chooses.

so the big question is: i doubt very much by simply putting fw 128 on sd it is going to work, as he will probably get the message " aborted as file on sd is same or older".
so anyone knows the procedure?
please only help him if you know the exact procedure, no guesses!!! thanks
2015-8-18
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

DJI sold about 400,000 DJI's last year with sales estimated at $500,000,000.  Sales are projected to double this year to $1,000,000,000.  Yep, that's One Billion Dollars!

You might want to read the article Forbes recently published:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryan ... -china-billionaire/

I believe we are at the birth of retail drones and over the next year or two drones will be a zillion times more sophisticated.  Future drones will be more programable with less piloting skills required.

Future Enhancements/Improvements (i'm sure there will be a lot):
More flight time, the one hour barrier will be broken and then the sky is the limit
Enhanced camera with interchangeable lenses
Enhanced stabilization
Recovery systems on most drones (parachute)
Enhanced range but this will be a sticking point with regulatory agencies
Terrain and object avoidance (developed for Ray to avoid trees)
Lighter, faster and higher
More is better and there will be much more
2015-8-18
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-19 09:22
DJI sold about 400,000 DJI's last year with sales estimated at $500,000,000.  Sales are projected to ...

OBJECT AVOIDANCE LOL ! thats already available with the matrice.
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

DJI sold about 400,000 DJI's last year with sales estimated at $500,000,000.  Sales are projected to ...

oh skater, how i wish i had not mentioned trees. jab away bud!!!
just kiddin, i love those gnarly, green, P3 hungry SOBs

so anyone knows the procedure???
come on time is money, guy wants to get his p3 in the air, there are some nice looking trees out there to film
2015-8-18
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 09:31
oh skater, how i wish i had not mentioned trees. jab away bud!!!
just kiddin, i love those gnarly, ...

i have not tried but it seems you do 1.1.9 first then 1.2.8 after.
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

One thing DJI clearly states is the App is optimized for iOS, which in turn has to work with the FW. Noticed a lot of issues is when using Android. Using App 1.1.2, 1.1.9 on one bird and 1.2.6 on another with and no issue that a calibration won't fix…….except when "You can't fix stupid" comes into play.
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

ok from what i found out after talking with josh is a possible corrupted FW, he did not have 132 fw successfully loaded on p3 and has 128 on it.i talked him though the procedure, which he knew, he is now in the process of doing a cold imu calibration on fw 128, he then is going to see if that takes care of gimbal overload error, and afterwards i told him to start his pc in safe mode and download the 132 fw, format his sd card(not quick format, as one of the errors on his fw log file on sd card was "multiple fw files  found"!!, ) then dump the bin file on it and start 132 fw update and again do a imu calibration, gimbal calibration and go to middle of a field tomorrow and do a compass calibration.
I hope this fixes it for him, i am sure he will let us know how it went.
im keeping my fingers crossed for you bud.
2015-8-18
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-19 09:39
i have not tried but it seems you do 1.1.9 first then 1.2.8 after.

From what I remember reading, you can roll back to earlier fw after updating to this current one. There are NO special instructions on doing so. I have had ZERO issues with Android.  I have used 3, yes 3, count 'em, 1-2-3 devices of varying makeups. I have a tab 10.1, 8.4 and a note 4. All of them work exceptionally well. Heck, I even reactivated the Play services just to see. There is practically no lag now, even into 18 minute flights in the hot Florida sun.  Am I that lucky? Heck no. If I were I would play the lotto. I can not help but think there is something wrong with a certain releases of the product. I was rock solid on 1.1.9 then had the screwed 1.2.6 problems. After IMU'ing, the 1.2.6 became practically perfect with the exception of VPS. I am on the 2.0 DJI GO. It seems that the folks that were good all the way around (VPS included) on 1.2.6/8 are now having issues. It baffles the crap outta me. If I were DJI, I would NEVER use any variations on the electronics when releasing a new product as that seems the only logical explanation as to why some birds are different in their actions than others. My mind is blown.....I want everyone's quads to work for them. Don't discount the fact that strange atmospheric conditions can cause wonky reactions to happen. The laws of average are against us in this because gravity never cuts you any slack when defying it with a machine. It will get us all eventually.
2015-8-18
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-19 08:28

Is this true regarding patents and China?
USA will grant and enforce patents filed by Chinese nationals.....

China will laugh and allow Chinese firms to copy any patent filed by US citizen or any US company

I do know China has copied the Ford F150, the Volkswagen Beetle and a zillion other American "patents"
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-19 10:45
From what I remember reading, you can roll back to earlier fw after updating to this current one. T ...

Jim, also dont forget the added problem here that has caused more issues than electronic variations!!

IMPATIENCE
Human error
lack of knowledge
too lazy or excited to read manual

BTW, i am guilty of all the above
2015-8-18
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 08:43
i am too lazy to read, who is he skater?

Just Google a guy named Frank Wang (or try Googling DJI). There was an interview a few weeks back in Fortune magazine with Frank.
2015-8-19
Use props
joshjkl
lvl.1

United States

After speaking with rayronki { who was very helpful BTW} and reformatting my SD card, downloading the FM again, and recalibrating everything, I was able to fly bug free around 10 minutes before receiving the dreaded gimbal overload message again. Everything was working fine, including the gimbal and camera, then boom out of no where that message popped up. The bird was still flying fine. It's just aggravating not having control of the camera. I'm starting to think it may be the PC's virus protection or something along the lines with my PC. I don't know. Guess I will start from scratch on another device and see if that helps. Thanks again ray!
2015-8-19
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-19 10:45
From what I remember reading, you can roll back to earlier fw after updating to this current one. T ...

"Don't discount the fact that strange atmospheric conditions can cause wonky reactions to happen." - this is a huge issue.  If atmospheric conditions could somehow become visible, like a cloud or smog, I think we all would be shocked to see what is all around us all the time.  And it's not constant - it seems to ebb and flow.

Well, if Rocket Science was easy ......   
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

joshjkl Posted at 2015-8-19 22:12
After speaking with rayronki { who was very helpful BTW} and reformatting my SD card, downloading  ...

Hey Josh
as we found out you had 128 installed and still having the overload error, i suggest using another pc and downloading fw132, formatting sd card and installing the latest fw, then a cold imu calibration and gimbal calibration afterwards. a compass calibration before your first flight with new fw also.
put sd card in and walk away for an hour!!!
let me know
good luck
2015-8-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-19 22:36
"Don't discount the fact that strange atmospheric conditions can cause wonky reactions to happen." ...

Absolutely Hunter! I have had some OH S$%T moments where my quad did some funky error that self corrected. Always after soiling my pants and fighting it to the ground. This hobby is not without risk to our investment unfortunately.
2015-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules