RIP Doogie the Drone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Well, I finally got what I was asking for. Trouble. I was hovering my P2V+ (V1) about 20' over the 'lake' (it's a river) waiting for 'subjects' and while trying to adjust my phone so I could see better, I apparently had my thumb against the down stick. I got the phone to where I could see and then all of the sudden the picture was filming underwater. I immediately hit the throttle and it pulled up out of the water and started to climb. My phone then showed me I had lost contact with Doogie. I glanced at the message for a couple of seconds waiting for "Coming Home" hoping I had only lost the video and not the controller, then looked to see where Doogie was, and he was gone. Vanished! I don't know if he flew away, or lost power and dumped into the lake (most likely the former, see below). Too many trees to see if he went the direction he was sort of headed when he came up out of the water.

The one really odd thing about all this is that my phone, even after about 15 minutes, still said that it was attached to the Phantoms network even though the app told me I had lost contact (and it was a different 'lost contact' message that I normally see when I fly out of range). This would leave me to believe that it probably didn't go back into the water and should be somewhere close to where it came out of the water, or at least within range of the wifi extender. I should have tried to disconnect and reconnect, but didn't think about it. I was rather bummed at the time.

Sanity Check:

I guess I'm under the impression that the heart of the network lies in the Phantom itself and the range extender is just that, an extender. Yes?

If the Phantom flies out of range of the extender/phone/'network connection', the phone (iphone 5s) would uncheck itself once the connection is broken, and not wait until you try to use the network again, right? (I really wish I would have disconnected and tried to reconnect!!!)

I probably only got about 40-50 flights with him, but learned a lot and had a great time shooting and editing video. I'm not done searching yet, but have committed myself (be nice) to have lost him. I still have my P2V+ (V3) but that one took a nasty fall onto pavement so I have little faith in it. It seems to work fine for now, but one of these days Alice.....

RIP Doogie!

Barney      ....hmm those P3s look pretty cool.....  

DoogieDown.JPG
2015-8-18
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Sorry to hear about the loss..
Have you tried the "find my fathom" feature?...sorry, could not resist...hope you find it....
2015-8-18
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-8-19 11:31
Sorry to hear about the loss..
Have you tried the "find my fathom" feature?...sorry, could not resis ...

You Be Funny.    I doubt I'll find it unless it crashed into the office complex just to the South. That's the direction it was drifting towards. I'm going to call the security folks there tomorrow. Most of the area is fenced off so I can't physically search much further.

Barney
2015-8-18
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-8-19 11:43
You Be Funny.    I doubt I'll find it unless it crashed into the office complex just to the Sout ...

Barney,
Thanks for taking the jibbs!....
Seriously do hope you find it and was serious about the "find my Phantom"!..it could be on dry land for sure.,.,and this would be freaking awesome to see...you could have the first amphibious Phantom on the planet....

Keep us posted...

2015-8-18
Use props
Daedalus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 557552 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Really sorry for your unfortunate event - Do not quit searching.

I had a similar problem with my stupid Parrot Bebop Drone flying away in a vast field during dusk. ( Parrots are notorious for flyaways and with no LEDs to assist locating it.)

What i have done out of instinct, was to immediately observe a couple of birds in the field that flew towards the crash area - i must admit it could be a coincidence but on the other hand makes perfect sense.   
2015-8-18
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Barney good luck in your effort. We all feal the pain. It's true again.... What goes up must come down SOMEWHERE! Keep looking and good luck.
2015-8-19
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-8-19 11:51
Barney,
Thanks for taking the jibbs!....
Seriously do hope you find it and was serious about the " ...

The screenshot WAS Find My Phantom.  
2015-8-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

These stories are always hard to read. Sorry to hear you lost it.
2015-8-19
Use props
saylor
lvl.1

United States

DOOGIE DOWN !

that really sucks, but your find my phantom pic with the red pin in the middle of the river is good comedy.

good luck, i hope you find it or salvage it from the depths
2015-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules