P3 Landing at wrong home point
2387 16 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
john
lvl.2

United States

I came across a situation in which the indidual flying the P3 Pro lost sight of the unit and then pushed the Home button.  The unit landed 1/2 mile away in a parking lot.  No airports within 5 miles+.  The firmware is not the latest. Last version (1.2.6).  Could the pilot have pushed a button which reset a home point to the parking lot?  Any ideas or suggesstions would be helpful.  Trying to determine if its user error or if others may have had the same thihg happen to them at some point.

John
2015-8-19
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

User could have pressed one of these.. One sets the HP to the phantoms currentt location, the other to the loacation of the tablet running hte App ( if it has GPS in it )..

11844125_10152922841951090_1936038876_n.jpg
2015-8-19
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI GO app allows you to reset the home point to the Phantom's current position. You'll see the icon on the left side of the app. It's not possible to just accidentally tap it though -- so, the pilot should have known this was done if it was actually done.

Here are some other possible explanations:

- The Phantom was not connected to 6+ satellites when RTH was initiated
- The battery was critically low at the same time RTH was initiated
- The home point was previously set to the parking lot and it was not reset properly on the following flight

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-19
Use props
john
lvl.2

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-19 22:27
The DJI GO app allows you to reset the home point to the Phantom's current position. You'll see the  ...

Thank you very much for the response.  This is along the line of what I had expected. MY guess is that they ope the HP icon and maybe trying to close it they reset the home point.  

Again, thank you..John
2015-8-19
Use props
john
lvl.2

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-19 22:27
User could have pressed one of these.. One sets the HP to the phantoms currentt location, the other  ...

Thanks for your reply.  They may have pushed the HP button and then while closing it reset HP..not exactly sure but when I talk with them tomorrow in more detail, I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks again..John
2015-8-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

john@security-s Posted at 2015-8-20 05:49
Thanks for your reply.  They may have pushed the HP button and then while closing it reset HP..not ...

Also check in the app and make sure you don't have the RTH button set to land at current location. You may have inadvertently changed that. It is set to return to current liftoff from factory.
2015-8-19
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-20 06:47
Also check in the app and make sure you don't have the RTH button set to land at current location. ...

Really good point!  Jimcloud74
2015-8-19
Use props
john
lvl.2

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-20 06:47
Also check in the app and make sure you don't have the RTH button set to land at current location. ...

good point..Ill check it out.  Thanks!
2015-8-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

Thanks men! I try...
2015-8-19
Use props
john
lvl.2

United States

I reviewed the settings this morning.  Everything checked out fine.  The setting within the app was set to RTH and not hover or landing mode.  I also viewed the recorded flight (which saved  even though the software was not the most recent -1.3).  It showed the P3 hovering and then it landed, however, no RTH was recorded as being selected during the descent..I'm.  So far, it appears to be a mysterious and isolated incident..
2015-8-20
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

john@security-s Posted at 2015-8-20 21:26
I reviewed the settings this morning.  Everything checked out fine.  The setting within the app was  ...

Hmmm. Just watch it closely. Remember, it warns at "low battery" ( Mine is set to 30%) Tries to initiate RTH at next stage warning that you can set on the battery page (I've set mine to 15% I believe. Gives you 10 seconds to cancel) The last warning does a "right where it's at" landing and you can not adjust where that is set (10% at that one if I am not mistaken. You can still steer and give up stick to keep it in the air to avoid obstacles but it takes almost all up throttle on the stick to counteract the "desire to land". Oh, and you don't have long to get it to the ground from there )
2015-8-21
Use props
john
lvl.2

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-21 23:49
Hmmm. Just watch it closely. Remember, it warns at "low battery" ( Mine is set to 30%) Tries to ini ...

I wish that was the issue but battery life was at 44% when the P3 was found in a near by bank parking lot
2015-8-22
Use props
info.rawdesk
New

Belgium

Hi, i have a similar issue with the RTH function.
I have my P3PRO 2 weeks now an before any first flight attempt i have upgraded my firmware using the Phantom 3 Professional

Firmware v1.3.20 upgrade package.
- The aircraft by using the standard Micro-SD startup sequence
- The RC via the DJI GO android app
My first 3 flights went well, except for the RTH function.
Everytime i push the RTH button, the RC initiates a 'landing' sequence without actually first returning to Home coordinates.
Home coordinates have been successfully setted on startup (voice confirmed + home spot indicated on the map).
Location was in open grassland with connection to 12 satellites
I use the compass calibration procedure before every take-off.

So i went to my the store where i bought my drone and the technician suspected it could be a bug in the recently release 1.3.20

firmware version.
He also told me dji was working (or maybe already provided it in latest firmware) on a follow function, similar to the lily..
He advised me to post the issue on this forum because this is a purely software problem.

Now.. while reading this thread i have followed sploodge's suggestion and setted the RTH location in my app on 'RC/tablet'
See this image :

It indicates a quite accurate distance between the aircraft and the RC when setted.

It took this advise back to my grassland testing environment for testing.
First flight sequence:
- startup aircraft and RC
- Home setted by default to my current location
(In this configuration aircraft does not return home but initiates landing on current location)
- Overruled home point with Sploodge's 'RC/tablet GPS' location trick
- Fly away for 30 mtrs on 10 mtrs altitude
- Press RTH button on the RC
- Aircraft raises to safe-RTH altitude of 20 mtrs and returns back to my (unmoved) location.

Ok.. looks like my problem can by bypassed.

Second flight sequence:
- I leave the aircraft on its previous landing position and move myself away for 20 mtrs
- After igniting the motors, my RC by default resets the Home location automatically to the location where the aircraft is located (visible on the map)
- I am overruling this setting with the same 'RC/tablet GPS' location trick
- I take of vertically for about 10 mtrs and immediately (without flying away from the spot) initiate RTH button
- The aircraft does NOT return to 'RC/tablet GPS' setted location, but initiates the landing sequence as in my initially posted issue scenario.

So partially, the 'RC/tablet GPS' home location setting works but after my second flight sequence i am not feeling confident using it as an alternative as long as my basic home settings are not accepted by the RTH.

Any advise in this would be grately appreciated. I am leaving to Greece within 2 weeks for a reportage.
Thanks,
2015-8-28
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am really stumped on this one....
2015-8-28
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

info.rawdesk Posted at 2015-8-28 09:01
Hi, i have a similar issue with the RTH function.
I have my P3PRO 2 weeks now an before any first fl ...

If within 20 Meters of home point it just does a landing.  Or so I thought.
Edit: See page 14 of the user manual version 1.4 :  Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft flies within a 20 meters radius of the Home Point.
2015-8-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

john@security-s Posted at 2015-8-23 01:32
I wish that was the issue but battery life was at 44% when the P3 was found in a near by bank park ...

Did it try to fly through the drive-thru banking section?
2015-8-28
Use props
Paradoxx
New

Belgium

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-8-28 17:27
If within 20 Meters of home point it just does a landing.  Or so I thought.
Edit: See page 14 of t ...

Hi Edward,
Thanks for your reply. I am taking it back out again for testing.
I was indeed testing first at 30 mtrs and then 20 mtrs, so it might be the answer i was looking for.
2015-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules