United States

See more people discussing cracks here:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-23532-1-1.html

The strong arms are also available on Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/UAV-Bits-P ... Id=OBEQP7BN5JZYVKPI

If you have a 3D printer, you can print your own strong arms here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:971151

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-19
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

I'm impressed DJI sent you a new DJI3, unfortunately it also had stress cracks.  Its hard to evaluate and determine the cause of the stress cracks from the outside looking in.  It could be DJI is allowing their products to be shipped without adequate inspection and or failing to ensure quality in manufacturing the DJI airframe.  There could be other reasons for the cracks, but whatever the reason is it needs to be resolved.  

I was flying the other day and decided to do something (test) I haven't done before by going straight up to 250 feet and coming straight back down.  I know Its not the way to fly an aircraft that achieves all its lift from propellers but wanted to see the amount of vortex ring state.   I was surprised at the amount of wobble (vortex ring state) in the descent and the hight amount of stress on the airframe.  I actually stopped the descent because I thought it would break up in-flight.  That was the first and last time I will do that maneuver but it was done as a test with no danger to anyone or property.  I believe this maneuver can produce stress cracks and even worse cause the DJI to crash.  More to follow.
2015-8-19
Use props
geoexplor.gmail
lvl.1
United States

Thanks to all, I'm worried because tomorrow I get my Phantom 3 pro. I hope I did good investment.
2015-8-19
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Yes I have rear black motor arm cracks.  80+ flights 60 Km flown.
Discussion has been live on this forum for ages.  Lots of people have the same.
DJI will replace the shell under G'tee but they will replace with the same shall, so it will crack again, and you will lose your P3 for 8 weeks or more.  I have only had mine for about 9 weeks.
I have wrapped 3 layers of adhesive tape very tightly around each arm as far outboard as I can and this stiffens up the whole shell as the tape binds the top and bottom shells together just the same as the screws.  But the screws are small in diameter and concentrate the stress at just 2 points which causes the cracks in exactly the positions you now have.  The tape spreads the load, can easily be removed to inspect for more cracks and won't invalidate the G'tee.  If you try to open the P3 and fill it with adhesive you will have invalidated the DJI G'tee.
If you use white insulating tape no one will see it if you are worried about appearance.  Or use a contrasting colour for a different look.
Try it and good luck.
2015-8-19
Use props
geoexplor.gmail
lvl.1
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 23:56
i believe a few people have that problem
get strong arms at uavbits.net $24 for a set

You don´t have this problem? How many flights with your phantom?
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

geoexplor.gmail Posted at 2015-8-20 00:55
You don´t have this problem? How many flights with your phantom?

175 flights, 1,177,100 ft, 30hours 43 minutes.
i got the strong arms from word go and installed them, i loosened all 6 screws, 4 motor and 2 shell, on each arm and then finger tightened them. i check the screws at end of the day.
2015-8-19
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

Are the cracks always in this same spot or do they crack in different spots?  I removed the top on mine to look at this area and was wondering if it would be a good idea to reinforce the area around these screws with plastic repair epoxy.
2015-8-19
Use props
bryvale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 475830 ft
United States

Do the Summitlink Snap On/off Prop Guards add the same type of support? They screw on the same way as the strong arms.
2015-8-19
Use props
Nicholas Rønsho
lvl.3

Denmark

Yep, have had mine since June, and already looks like the one in the videos.
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84902 ft
Bulgaria

If you get these plates, can you still fit  the normal plastic prop  guards on the craft or not. Also, are they an easy fit ?  
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

If you get these plates, can you still fit  the normal plastic prop  guards on the craft or not. Also, are they an easy fit ?
2015-8-20
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-8-20 22:44
If you get these plates, can you still fit  the normal plastic prop  guards on the craft or not. A ...

if you are talking about the strong arms which go where the motors are, then no u cant use prop guards.
very easy to install, take 4 motor screws and 2 shell screws out and pop on the strong arm and replace the screws that u took out. if u need a video or picture let me know and i will post
2015-8-20
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-8-20 22:45
If you get these plates, can you still fit  the normal plastic prop  guards on the craft or not. A ...

here go to this thread where i have put a video and you can see the thing! just scroll down till you see the vid.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid197853
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

liningiv Posted at 2015-8-20 00:40
Yes I have rear black motor arm cracks.  80+ flights 60 Km flown.
Discussion has been live on this f ...

Just a thought, on your idea, what about using cable ties, that would help take some stress away from the area.  Justa thought...
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-20 00:03
See more people discussing cracks here:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-23532-1-1.html

The pics of the 3D printed supports are interesting, they don't seem to do any more than a reasonable Prop Prop guard  with 4 screws, should that not do the trick then ?  
2015-8-20
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

I  have cracks as well on two motors. But since they already have my other birds for months, I'm going to put on the "strong arms" AND tape and hope for the best. I can't imagine having to send another one in for 3 months just to fix it.
2015-8-20
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-8-21 12:29
Just a thought, on your idea, what about using cable ties, that would help take some stress away f ...

stress is dispersed through more surface area, cable ties are going to add more tension to the same spots
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-21 13:43
stress is dispersed through more surface area, cable ties are going to add more tension to the sam ...

I can't see this; cable ties, opposed to the existing screws, the screws are concentrated pressure hence the cracks around its neck, if you were to put cable ties, over the holes where the screws are, its helping to defuse the pressure crated by the screws pulling down the other half of the body. So the cable ties are taking up some of the pulling stress/pressure created by the screws and dispersing it around the entire circumference of the arm area where the screw are.   
2015-8-20
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-8-21 14:31
I can't see this; cable ties, opposed to the existing screws, the screws are concentrated pressure ...

You may be right.  Give it a try
2015-8-21
Use props
geoexplor.gmail
lvl.1
United States

I reforce the arms to prevent breakage:

1.- Gorilla tape
2.- Velkro

http://t.co/OyCHf1Tfqq
2015-8-21
Use props
walky
lvl.2

Australia

Had my P3P since August 17. Have a total of 2hr 12mins over 16 flights and 83,000ft. I have cracks across holes on 2 motors, 1 is the front (multiple cracks) and 1 the rear, and a further crack near the frame screws behind the motor on 1 front arm.
Given the widespread occurrence of the cracks, including DJi sending replacement machines with cracks, I'm done with it. Luckily here in Australia, we have awesome consumer guarantee legislation, and I can simply return it to the store of purchase to get a full refund.
I'm going to get the Inspire1 I think, that or an S1000+
2015-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules