P3P Camera fireworks settings?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BuyDji.ca
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

I did some experiments with fireworks last weekend. Came out ok, I was wondering if anybody have any miracle/suggestion settings for the camera.

Thanks.

2015-8-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

If you're shooting fireworks or otherwise trying to capture bright features in a dark setting, like city lights at night, that sort of thing, you don't want the camera trying its ever loving best to bring up the dark and shadowy areas as if it were late afternoon. Because the camera really has no idea what you're looking at or what your intentions are, and it always uses whatever tools it has to try to make everything exposed as if it were looking at middle grey - not white, not black. So by limiting the ISO to no more than 400, and knowing that it can only open its shutter for just so long as it shoots video, you're forcing it to under-expose what it thinks it should be trying to make look like daylight. The result is that night actually looks like night, and bright things like fireworks or window lights or headlights or campfires will look pretty good, rather than being completely blown out highlights.
Night flight info:

Lock the ISO to 100 to avoid the noise and it should look pretty good. I would also lock the white balance as "daylight". Believe it or not, this will probably give you the best result (and WB can easily be edited in post especially if you have locked it and not left as AWB which can change a lot from image to image).
2015-8-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Also can you please change your user name for me. You are not allowed to have DJI in your user name unless you work for DJI. Thank You.
2015-8-19
Use props
BuyDji.ca
Second Officer
Canada

Dave,

Thank you very much for the settings. I will try that out.

Regarding the username, sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to change but it keeps on saying username already exists. I tried some pretty crazy ones and it keep on saying that. If you have the power to change for me, please try Paniza or Azinap.

Thanks.
2015-8-20
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Canada

Got the account renamed.

First renamed at DJI.com, then here. Otherwise, didn't work for me.

Thanks.

2015-8-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Paniza Posted at 2015-8-20 18:38
Got the account renamed.

First renamed at DJI.com, then here. Otherwise, didn't work for me.

Thank you Paniza.
2015-8-21
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

As an alternate way of capturing the scene take stills. I like to keep the ISO at 100 but make long shutter exposures…say 4 seconds … With a standard  dslr camera I would use F8 and bulb mode just counting to myself. A little experimenting will quickly let you know how much background is being captured and you may want to get a few good background to blend if necessary and adjust your shutter speed accordingly. You get a different type of picture of fireworks with a long exposure …myself I like them better.

Butch
2015-8-21
Use props
primetime0625
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-19 18:05
If you're shooting fireworks or otherwise trying to capture bright features in a dark setting, like city lights at night, that sort of thing, you don't want the camera trying its ever loving best to bring up the dark and shadowy areas as if it were late afternoon. Because the camera really has no idea what you're looking at or what your intentions are, and it always uses whatever tools it has to try to make everything exposed as if it were looking at middle grey - not white, not black. So by limiting the ISO to no more than 400, and knowing that it can only open its shutter for just so long as it shoots video, you're forcing it to under-expose what it thinks it should be trying to make look like daylight. The result is that night actually looks like night, and bright things like fireworks or window lights or headlights or campfires will look pretty good, rather than being completely blown out highlights.
Night flight info:

What should I do with the shutter speed? Are there any other settings that I should know about I am not good with photography at all.
2017-1-25
Use props
PeteH.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 199970 ft
United Kingdom

Phantom 3 Standard Fireworks shot with auto exposure :
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules