Best Settings for Night Time Flying
12Next >
46001 49 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Meleee
New

United States

Are there any default recommendations out there for the best settings for night time recording? I had mine set automatic (new to video recording) and I am pretty sure I need to toy with the recording settings.
2015-8-19
Use props
Zdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1805141 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well if you follow FAA and AMA recommendations you don't fly after dusk in the US.
2015-8-20
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Zdrone Posted at 2015-8-21 03:52
Well if you follow FAA and AMA recommendations you don't fly after dusk in the US.

That's not true... Actually the FAA has no ruling about flying at night and the AMA has no jurisdiction on governing airspace.  Currently the FAA has placed recommendations to hobbyists and recreational UAV and model aircraft pilots not laws, how you interpreted them is up to you.  I myself would not want to get on the bad side of the FAA or jeopardize the hobby.  Therefore I follow the current recommendations set in place on March 4 of 2015.

See below and watch the video on the Know Before You Fly website and read the guidelines at the bottom of the home page.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org

As for videoing at night, the video is tuff taking stills on the other hand can be done by the right ISO setting and plying with the shutter speed.   I am a big fan of shooting at night.  I have been doing it for years before dslr's became mainstream. Using the P3P for video not so good but for stills it's not bad. Here is one I took of a roundabout 800 ISO and 8 second shutter speed. The light in the roundabout is my son running in the roundabout painting with a led flashlight.

-Dog

My Boy running a roundabout with a flashlight.

My Boy running a roundabout with a flashlight.
2015-8-24
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

No flight at night is expressly included in the proposed FAA rules that were posted recently.
2015-8-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Flying at night is awesome. I have done it several times and really like it a lot.
Having the orientation lights under the arms makes it so easy to see in the dark sky.

And you can see regular aircraft, if coming your direction, for a long ways as well.

I am not looking for any kind of confrontation, and find flying at night is very quiet and peaceful.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-25
Use props
ppkessler
lvl.2

France

Dive-N-Dog Posted at 2015-8-24 10:05
That's not true... Actually the FAA has no ruling about flying at night and the AMA has no jurisdic ...

Nice Pic! 8s that neat is impressive  ;-)
2015-8-26
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-26 13:35
No flight at night is expressly included in the proposed FAA rules that were posted recently.

proposed is not law it is not an official rule either it is just that... proposed. Also provide a link or proof substantiating your statement.

-Dog
2015-8-26
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-26 14:50
Flying at night is awesome. I have done it several times and really like it a lot.
Having the orient ...

I totally agree! I think it's important for you to check out the area of the daylight to make sure there's no powerlines anything like that that you could run into, but the visibility at night is epic it is a lot easier when you're flying at night to tell the orientation of the quad because the colored LED lights stand out better, plus see traffic near you like you mentioned. Kind like how sound travels underwater compared to being on land.

-Dog

Slight yaw spin with 8 second shutter holding enough toget the star.

Slight yaw spin with 8 second shutter holding enough toget the star.

My son spelling his name with led light 8second shutter

My son spelling his name with led light 8second shutter

Car pass through stop sign 8 second shutter

Car pass through stop sign 8 second shutter
2015-8-26
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
United States

Dive-N-Dog Posted at 2015-8-26 22:32
proposed is not law it is not an official rule either it is just that... proposed. Aalso provide a ...

Really?  Gee, do you suppose that's why I used the word PROPOSED?  Proposed is proposed.  It also means the FAA is definitely thinking along those lines.  Too bad.  Night flight is often the most beautiful.
2015-8-26
Use props
john_351
lvl.2
Flight distance : 128675 ft
United States

Definitely peacefull and rig is very visible, farther for me then in daylight.

City lights
DJI_0013.JPG

Quarter Turn
DJI_0009.JPG

Quiet intersection

DJI_0007.JPG
DJI_0003.JPG
2015-8-26
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

john_351@yahoo. Posted at 2015-8-27 13:54
Definitely peacefull and rig is very visible, farther for me then in daylight.

City lights

Nice work! keep experimenting with it you'll get some really amazing shots, especially if you were to take pictures where you think there's absolutely no light by leaving it open for eight seconds at 16,000 ISO you be quite impressed. The key is to make sure you're flying in zero wind, and use your tablet to control the ISOs , shutter speeds and the shutter release button on the tablet.  For some reason I don't know why it works better than using the actual remote buttons to control the shutter.
-Dog
2015-8-26
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-27 08:02
Really?  Gee, do you suppose that's why I used the word PROPOSED?  Proposed is proposed.  It also  ...

I know what you mean... Yet you say that it's even proposed, but yet you have not provided any proof like I asked for.  Let's see a link to what your saying.  I have combed the moments of many FAA meetings and yet to find anything that states what you're saying they have proposed. As for the AMA they have no jurisdiction on airspace.
I don't mean to be a jerk, it is just if you gonna say something like you did substantiate with some form some form of evidence. Like I did in my post about no mention from the FAA's site or the Know Before You Fly's site about flying at night or from dusk to dawn. There's enough people out there on the Internet they just make something up without any form of evidence to back it up. And to be honest I'm really getting sick, and I know I am not alone of people that post something that starts with "well I have a friend..." I can do that... I Have a friend the invented the question mark.

-Dog
2015-8-26
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-26 14:50
Having the orient ...

Well said! Flying at night is my fave and so is SCUBA diving at night!  Only thing that beats a night dive is a sunrise dive.   You know it's funny the other night I was flying at the park near my house over some baseball diamonds, when I guy took his dogs out for a walk and the dog started barking. I thought the dogs were barking at my quad, so I went and immediately landed my quad so that the dogs would no longer be disturbed. After landing my quad, I found out the dogs were not barking at my quad they were barking at a skunk and unfortunately sprayed this guys dogs.  I could see the skunk was running off to get away from his dogs, so I fired back up my P3 and tried to chase skunk and get video of it, but the P3's suck at night video. So the only thing I ended up with was my clothes smelling like skunk even though I was well over 50 yards away from where the guys dogs got sprayed, go figure. They didn't smell that bad but you could definitely tell the skunk smell. Arrg.
-Dog

2015-8-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's much harder to lose sight of your Phantom, in the night sky, and so it's actually alot more fun aloft, and exciting for me.

I also feel there is much less chance of becoming entangled in a bird carcass. Although a large bat would take you out in a heart beat.
I'm still landing with fresh blood stains on my props. Curious what I am killing, in my Flight Paths.
A slow motion camera would likely not even pick it up... Too small to capture...

RedHotPoker
2015-8-27
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
United States

No, I didn't post a link.  There are so many threads in this forum that I don't remember where it was.  It was posted here in the forum.
I found a copy, but it is pdf.  How do I post a pdf file here?  See if this works...

FAA - 021515_suas_summary.pdf

146 KB, Down times: 79

2015-8-27
Use props
GopherTee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6236654 ft
United States

OMG!  Hey everyone in these hilarious forums.  Let's all pretend that everyone knows the FAA restrictions and what not for a minute okay.  So when someone asks a question, stop bringing up the FAA stuff.  Either answer the question or zip it!  Really dragging these forums to the death.
2015-8-27
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

ISO 100 shot and brought to life in photoshop, simply amazing.
moon-lowres.jpg
2015-8-27
Use props
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

GopherTee Posted at 2015-8-28 12:46
OMG!  Hey everyone in these hilarious forums.  Let's all pretend that everyone knows the FAA restric ...

I agree. Someone is gonna fly at night if they want! People who bring up the law and the FAA are fu%king stupid and annoying! No one knows the rules exactly, I'm sure the FAA don't even know the rules so that means YOU don't know them! Just give tips if someone asks or say nothing at all!!!!!
2015-8-27
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-28 06:41
No, I didn't post a link.  There are so many threads in this forum that I don't remember where it wa ...

I know about the PDF the you posted.  And it is intended for part 333 for the exemption and licensing of operators so they can go commercial it is not recreational operators.  Here is the link take a look.  Link

-Dog  
2015-8-27
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-28 13:22
ISO 100 shot and brought to life in photoshop, simply amazing.

Love it!!

-Dog
2015-8-27
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

OMG!  Hey everyone in these hilarious forums.  Let's all pretend that everyone knows the FAA restric ...

I agree as well but you can't let people mis inform in this forum.. We are all here to learn and keep this hobby going. I have been flying RC aircraft since the 80's and have learned a lot along the way.  I still learn each day.

-Dog
2015-8-27
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

Mikey14 Posted at 2015-8-27 22:52
I agree. Someone is gonna fly at night if they want! People who bring up the law and the FAA are f ...

Very well said, these people that come in here telling us about laws, regulations, the earth is going to fall down, I'm going to turn you in  because I'm a professional, you don't have your 333, you can't do this, you can't do that, period. Period. It really makes me sick let's fly in the daytime, let's fly in the night time, let's fly them next week either let's fly them over interesting objects that may or may not have people present .... Let's fly them next two things that may or may not have a train present or a bridge or a bus or a horse or a  mouse, even a cow being fields anything.  And pilots, I don't think so I believe the word for it is playing with an RC quad copter.
2015-8-27
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
United States

Dive-N-Dog Posted at 2015-8-28 01:26
I know about the PDF the you posted.  And it is intended for part 333 for the exemption and licensi ...

This would appear to be correct.  That information was not posted originally, so I took it at face value.

As for the other wise ass comments:  I haven't seen anyone suggest that they were going to turn someone in for doing anything.  However, as a recent purchaser and news follower, I can assure you that if the abuse of common sense when flying continues, the rules will be so restrictive that we might as well take up basket weaving.  You can stuff the attitude.  It isn't needed here.

The rules, if there are any at this time, are far too vague.  The plain language of the FAA says not within 5 miles of an airport.  Define airport.  There are grass strips every few miles in some places.  I'm only 2 miles from the airport boundary, so by the letter I cannot fly.  However, I can put up a tower up to 199 feet on my property, and not even light it or tell the FAA.  What's wrong with this picture?  Most areas around the town are off-limits, due to airport proximity.  Hmm, let's see.  Maybe if I call the FAA and let them know my intentions...  Oops, there IS no FAA here.  The closest is 100 miles away.  Maybe I go talk to the FBO and the spray plane company...  Well, there's nothing about that in the current rules, only FAA is mentioned.

It's a little frustrating for those of us who would like to NOT further the cause for the public and FAA  outrage.  Go read the public, non-hobbyist discussions about "drones" and see just how welcome you feel.
2015-8-28
Use props
john_351
lvl.2
Flight distance : 128675 ft
United States

Dive-N-Dog Posted at 2015-8-27 15:47
Nice work! keep experimenting with it you'll get some really amazing shots, especially if you were  ...

It works better because the auto settings will push the ISO,  where I pushed the time.   With experimentation I found a higher ISO creates a lot more artifacts in the image.
But as you say it helps to have a calm day.  Wasn't so calm, as I had a few shots with blur, but got lucky on a couple.  And of course the P3 gimbal is very well done.
I have a really cool moonshot somewhere alas I seem to have misplaced my card reader along with a card.
Thanks.

PS - I've actually done some of this earthebound with a DLSR.  I've long had fun shooting low light.  Imagine my surprise and thrill when I realize it's viable with the P3.

I do hope there's provision in the FAA rules for hobbyist, artistic night flights.  I do try to utilize common sense when flying, as like everyone else, I don't want to see restrictive laws, and I see nothing wrong with this as long as the area is known (via daytime viewing)  

I've read the 333 and exemptions, and they don't provide for nighttime flights, but this appears to be setup as guidance for a "production" crew, not a hobbyist operator, and there's no restriction on the hobbyist portion as yet.  
As I'm a semi professional photographer, I did look into it, and the "pilot" need was a no go, even though my son is, he's on the opposite coast.
2015-8-28
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-28 23:00
This would appear to be correct.  That information was not posted originally, so I took it at face  ...

I have seen those comments you referring to and those people are cattle... If one was to jump off the cliff they all will follow! The media is responsible for this and that is why I say it is our duty is to call your local media and inform them when they are incorrect and what the law is, but do this in a nice way.  Again my motto is you get a lot more from honey than you do with vinegar.  I have no desire to tangle with the individuals  that are on those threads simply because it's not worth the time and you can't convince them otherwise. They make up so much BS and your only going to battle with them on a one on one basis. I prefer to go after the media as we all should, then your correcting it with a larger audience.

I have said this before, if Apple were to come out with an iPhone you could tear the corner off of it and toss it in the air and control it to take photos and video, the masses would think it was a greatest invention ever, embrace it and instantly camp out in a line overnight to buy them .  My question is, what would be the difference between that and one of our phantoms?

-Dog

2015-8-29
Use props
zcholla
lvl.1
Flight distance : 226020 ft
United States

This is a picture from my first flight with my new Phantom 3.

upgraded from an FC40 - Couldn't wait when I got home but the sun was already headed down. I took her straight up from the driveway and caught some pictures out over town. The camera settings are all 100% auto in this shot. I will spend some time adjusting the settings and going out dark to continue to improve the photography

2016-1-18
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

I have Never flown in Darkness....,

But here are a few just as the sun was setting!
Pic1

DJI_0033.JPG
2016-1-18
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Pic 2............
DJI_0027a.jpg
2016-1-18
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Pic 3............
DJI_0028a.jpg
2016-1-18
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Pic 4............
DJI_0030.JPG
2016-1-18
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Awesome night shots! I really want to try out some extended exposure shots, they look so awesome. Here are a few of my shots

2016-7-9
Use props
scott3
lvl.2
United States

Adam, those shots are AMAZING!!!   What are your settings?  I really want to do that downtown here.  Ive never managed much when flying at night.  Dusk here is grand though.  Here is a shot from my back yard out of Lightroom for exposure adjustment.
2016-9-17
Use props
scott3
lvl.2
United States

And another one.  Same spot, different day.

2016-9-17
Use props
MAINGATE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 524272 ft
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-7-10 11:15
Awesome night shots! I really want to try out some extended exposure shots, they look so awesome. He ...

O-town ! very nice.
2016-9-24
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
United States

scott3 Posted at 2016-9-18 00:08
Adam, those shots are AMAZING!!!   What are your settings?  I really want to do that downtown here.  ...

Thanks! Not sure what my settings were when I took those photos.. I usually just put the Camera on Auto and then take note of the auto-settings and then manually dial them in. Your shots look awesome!
2016-9-25
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
United States

Thanks! Yeah, need to get out more around here. Bored!
2016-9-25
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

They are right....recreational only can fly at night.   I looked it up.
2016-9-30
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

john_351@yahoo. Posted at 2015-8-28 12:24
It works better because the auto settings will push the ISO,  where I pushed the time.   With exper ...

It's easy to confuse 333 and Part 107.  But...if you are flying RECREATIONALLY, it falls under R/C rules...you can fly at night.  Check it out on the FAA website.  Just Google "can recreational drone operators fly at night"
2016-9-30
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Nice pics! But people! Please share your ISO and shutter speed at least! 800ISO and 8sec shutter?  That is so frigging stable.. Mine are always moved a bit!
2016-9-30
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

you have to respect the guidlines for one if you ar an ama member you can get kicked out. theres your ins.  yes states like cali are making their own laws and local boy will follow right to you. its new and every idiot that gets caught gets more rules. these fine ppl are just warnin them then they can make a choice on there own its like havin there back.

all the stupid ppl on the news brought heat on the hobby the old timers built from scratch very beautiful accurate replicas and put many thousands of dollars into their hobby just for idiots to get rules put upon them some of these fine people have been doing it since the forties or earlier so when you do something that affects the public try to have a little respect
2016-9-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules