Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Poor man strobe light
2860 8 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IMBULINATOR
lvl.2

Canada

I used a Strobon light, a surefire battery some foam and some rubber bands.
I wanted to make sure the light is visible before I make any drastic modifications.

2015-8-19
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

poor man strobe light and rich man drone case
2015-8-19
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

Find case, but the wheels are terrible.
2015-8-19
Use props
IMBULINATOR
lvl.2

Canada

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-8-21 02:08
What do you need a strobe light for?

So I can check the drone orientation in day light.
2015-8-20
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

IMBULINATOR Posted at 2015-8-21 07:10

Is the strobe actually that much brighter?  Interestingly, I can't see the lights when it's far away, but I can often see its shape against the sky or clouds, and can most of the time determine which way the camera is facing.  

I never had a FPV tablet before, I always flew just LOS.  So I still haven't gotten use to just looking down at the radar map to determine my direction.  Old habits I guess ... but should my iPad die mid-flight, I feel comfortable being able to use just LOS, even from far away, to bring it back home safely.
2015-8-20
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

IMBULINATOR Posted at 2015-8-21 07:10

I think that for the weight that the 123A battery has, you might want to look at a bicycle tail light flasher. They run on a single AAA battery for 20+ hours and weigh next to nothing.

A simple piece of Velcro affixed to the back of the Phantom will bee seen.

Vista Lite used to offer a bike light with a strobe tube and amber, clear or red lense. It wasn't as bright as the 3-5 led version.

One of the companies (mtnelectronics) that sells components for building flashlights, sells  5-700 lumen Cree star with a diver board weigh less than 20 grams. The entire assembly is under $15.
2015-8-20
Use props
IMBULINATOR
lvl.2

Canada

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-21 08:04
Is the strobe actually that much brighter?  Interestingly, I can't see the lights when it's far aw ...

It is much brighter than the regular lights.
At 600 ft distance I couldn't see the lights but the strobe was still quite visible.
I didn't try any further because I was surrounded by impenetrable woods where the bears roam.
Kind of scared to fly too deep over those woods.
2015-8-20
Use props
Johncoffee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1502290 ft
Switzerland

I used the same strobe light as IMBULINATOR. Got the from here: http://www.flytron.com/led-systems/99-strobon-navigation-strobe-light.html  Really bright even in daylight.
The LIPO battery is from Hobbyking: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F20385%5F%5FTurnigy%5Fnano%5Ftech%5F600mah%5F1S%5F35%5F70C%5FLipo%5FNine%5FEagles%5FSolo%5FPro%5F328%5FEflite%5FMQX%5F120SR%5F.htmlAll wrapped in white shrinkage tube and some velcro. There is no ON switch, just a simple battery connector. And some Velcro on the front. Adhesion is very well.

Here some pic and a short movie: IMG_0111.jpg IMG_0110.jpg

The phantom can be hardly seen at the end of the clip. (just made it quick and dirty with my iPhone).... :

Cost: less than 10$ for all parts

Cheers - *John*

2015-11-2
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now