2717 12 2023-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kereplaz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1846736 ft
  • >>>
Lithuania

Hello everyone, today I tried using waypoints with my DJI Mavic 3, and immediately noticed a problem for my use case.

The path that is generated between wayponts is very aggresively curved, similar to a bezier tool in a drawing program. And there is no way to control the amount of the "curving" effect or disable it entirely. For my waypoints flight I would like to have right angles and straight lines if I need to. Now I am totally dependent on what the algorithm will create without any control over that.

Bellow is a crude example, You can see what path the app generated in black, while in red is what I would want to do.

waypints.jpg

I know I can add a lot of waypoints to combat this, but frankly drawing on the map is barely usable as it is while adding waypoints by flying is just inefficient. There are a lot of bugs and the user experience is pretty bad overall. It would be quite easy for developers to add a radius slider, that would increase or decrease the amount of "curving" that is happening. Or atleast a few preset values, like smooth, medium, and off for the curving. Now the drone pathing is really dependent on this uncontrollable factor, making waypoints a much less valuable feature.

I know asking for new features from the Fly app is almost futile, but this would require minimal effort for very usefull functionality. Please consider adding this.
2023-3-1
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline
2023-3-1
Use props
Kereplaz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Lithuania

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-1 09:42
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=285690&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dauthor%26orderby%3Ddateline%26typeid%3D772%26typeid%3D772%26orderby%3Ddateline

Thanks, did not manage to find this thread before. Still everything what I said stands.

Im curious about import and export to flight hub. It is a paid service for enterprise drones, and I am not sure how it can be used.
2023-3-1
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Kereplaz Posted at 3-1 10:04
Thanks, did not manage to find this thread before. Still everything what I said stands.

Im curious about import and export to flight hub. It is a paid service for enterprise drones, and I am not sure how it can be used.

Theoretically Flight HUB 2 does not work with consumer drones. But right now the beta is free. It's worth a try.

https://fh.dji.com/
2023-3-1
Use props
djiuser_CgYhBqmxP83j
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1078150 ft
United States

Has anyone tried between waypoint 3 and 4 adding one that just turns the drone a 180 heading before moving forward. I would expect that would remove the usual’s desired curved flight paths.
2023-3-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Kereplaz. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. The DJI Mavic 3 automatically plans a curved course to ensure smooth shooting and does not currently support arc/straight line setting. But your suggestions are noted. These will be forwarded to our designated team for attention. We appreciate your input and feedback. For any new updates on DJI, please stay tuned to our DJI website (www.dji.com).
2023-3-1
Use props
Kereplaz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Lithuania

Managed to find a way to straighten the lines, but it involves editing an existing waypoint plan with a text editor.
2023-3-2
Use props
Kereplaz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Lithuania

Kereplaz Posted at 3-2 06:08
Managed to find a way to straighten the lines, but it involves editing an existing waypoint plan with a text editor. [view_image]

It just shows how easy it would be to implement this feature to the app.
2023-3-2
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Managed to find a way to straighten the lines, but it involves editing an existing waypoint plan with a text editor. [view_image]

Really very interesting!  
Could you please explain in a little more detail how and with what you can edit this file, what you have to do...   
2023-3-2
Use props
fanse2f3b029
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2981932 ft
Russia

Wow! Could you please share your solution?
2023-3-7
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Yes it can be done but You need to move the waypoint file to the computer unzip it and after change the lines and after do the opposite. But it is much easier if DJI adds this to its code among other things.
2023-3-7
Use props
fanse2f3b029
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2981932 ft
Netherlands

Could you please share which exact lines did you edit?

By the way, such missions can be created with UgCS or FlightHub 2 and then exported to .kmz format. But anyway the lines are curved when imported to drone, so the changes must be done to the mission with use of notepad anyway. I just can’t figure out which lines should I edit….
2023-3-8
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Is funny as Autel Evo2 Pro users were all time not happy because they did not had curves but straight angles... A lot of them migrated to DJI because of this....
For mapping you need an Evo2Pro from Autel, is integrated in all mapping software, also knows to come to you, change battery and resume from where it was left...You can map in this way infinite surfaces...
Mavic 3 was not built for this, also integration in mapping software is poor, not to mention that is inclining the gimbal many times (drone error) with 1-2 degrees, making some renderings look funny (far from Pro job).
Cheers.
2023-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules