Convince me to Upgrade
1835 27 2015-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm looking for some solid arguments in favor of moving to the latest firmware update and Go app.  I'm using an android mobile device.

Convince me!
2015-8-21
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't see any yet.
2015-8-21
Use props
laurie.downes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 395581 ft
New Zealand

Upgraded this morning to 1.3.0.00 no problems. Charged up all bats then flew over the back fence into the farm paddock, didn't go to high or far no problems so far
2015-8-21
Use props
outlaw
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

No problems here, 6 flights since upgrade
2015-8-21
Use props
buckeyenation
lvl.1

United States

Besides the fact that DJI recommends the latest firmware? That alone should be enough to upgrade. And the fact that there are far more people who have successfully upgraded than those who had issues.

I guess the question is what are your concerns with upgrading?
2015-8-21
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

I assume if we upgrDe, then the beta testing on the autopilot app and related firmware cease to work?
2015-8-21
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would also highly recommend to upgrade. I did it last week as did 2 of my friends and all 3 Inspires are flying perfectly.
I would also agree that most people are having no problem with the upgrade process.
2015-8-21
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

I am neutral on the matter.  I don't doubt those who say they are very happy with the new firmware and app.

I'd settle for convincing you that upgrading the firmware or the app should be a matter of choice.

Dan
2015-8-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Upgraded my three week old inspire, sent it in to dji yesterday for 8 weeks or so to correct esc error after update. roll the dice and upgrade what else can you do.
2015-8-22
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-8-22 12:21
I am neutral on the matter.  I don't doubt those who say they are very happy with the new firmware a ...

There will be no option in the future, you will do as you are told or you will not fly.guaranted
2015-8-22
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Your mileage will always vary and some people have had some nasty results with the upgrade process (bricked aircraft) but overall it seems most people are upgrading without issue and most people aren't having issues with flight performance post upgrade.

Plus 1.3 / 2.x has some decent features (HDR, bracketing, shutter priority, etc).

Alas, no performance changes to video recording so it's still the over compressed mess it's always been... but hey. X5 I guess...
2015-8-22
Use props
nebelung
lvl.3
Flight distance : 613615 ft
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-8-22 22:20
Your mileage will always vary and some people have had some nasty results with the upgrade process ( ...

Thanks for the info on the video compression. I was wondering if there was any improvement on that.

None of the changes seem worthwhile spinning the roulette wheel at this point, so I'll probably hold off a little on the update.
2015-8-22
Use props
chriz
New

United States

These features were big for me

Fixed issue of video files being damaged when aircraft is powered off during recording.
Transportation mode is automatically triggered when the gimbal is detached from the aircraft.
Added option to enable or disable Low Battery RTH feature.
Motors stop spinning if it hits anything
2015-8-22
Use props
joeyjoe
lvl.2

United States

chriz Posted at 2015-8-23 08:12

Fixed issue of video files being damaged when aircraft is powered of ...

That recording fix is a good one for me since I almost always forget to stop recording after a landing.
Already have had a handful of corrupt recordings due to my forgetfulness....
2015-8-23
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

chriz Posted at 2015-8-23 08:12

Fixed issue of video files being damaged when aircraft is powered of ...

if motors stop spinning if you hit a bird.....you crash... i have hit a bird and kept flying before....i am definitely not upgrading then....
2015-8-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

outlaw@unitedwi Posted at 2015-8-22 09:40
No problems here, 6 flights since upgrade

But did you derive any benefits directly impacting your quality, safety, duration or operation of your flights and/or captures?  Any which provide a concrete ROI for the risk and time invested in upgrading?
2015-8-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

laurie.downes Posted at 2015-8-22 09:23
Upgraded this morning to 1.3.0.00 no problems. Charged up all bats then flew over the back fence int ...

No problems, is good.  But any benefits that made it worth the time and effort?
2015-8-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

buckeyenation Posted at 2015-8-22 10:28
Besides the fact that DJI recommends the latest firmware? That alone should be enough to upgrade. An ...

My concern is that almost every upgrade results in a flurry of issues being posted.  Neither you nor I can quantify the percentage of people who have issues with an upgrade.  I'm simply doing a Return on Investment (ROI) check.  Is this worth bothering with?  DJI allowing me to  downgrade makes your first question moot.
2015-8-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DWA Posted at 2015-8-22 11:01
I would also highly recommend to upgrade. I did it last week as did 2 of my friends and all 3 Inspir ...

But were they having issues before the upgrade which have been resolved by the upgrade?  Could it have been a waste of time with no net real benefit?
2015-8-23
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

2015-8-23
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

Mu firmware upgrade (My the third upgrade)  FAILED,  When I played the beeping sound for the tech over the phone, he thought the upgrade had fried the flight controller.  Second time back to the shop for my bird.  BTW the I1 was flying just fine before this.
2015-8-23
Use props
InspireHelp
lvl.2

United States

My firmware upgraded just fine and my Inspire has been flying as expected. I would imagine that's the case for most people who upgraded -- but, people tend not to post when all is going well.

www.Inspire1Help.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Inspire.
Inspires in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-23
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

offshorecl1 Posted at 2015-8-23 07:22
Even, with this update, forget to fly guaranted! I paid €777, guaranted, let me laugh. My 2  ...

This latest firmware upgrade failure reduced me to tears.  Second time in the shop, the tech mentioned upgrade may have fried flight controller.  The bird was flying just fine.  It behaved according to spec and I was finally (Before the first upgrade, in March, The bird lost GPS and flew backwards at speed from a hovering start and hit a tree branch) flying and earning some $$$ to pay off the $$$ I put into it.  It went back last week and I am digging deep to cover the CC "loan".
2015-8-23
Use props
buckeyenation
lvl.1

United States

kneverett Posted at 2015-8-23 23:23
My concern is that almost every upgrade results in a flurry of issues being posted.  Neither you n ...

The flurry of issues that people post isn't a good representation of the firmware itself. You hear a lot of people have issues but you don't know the exact procedure or flight conditions or anything like that. Some people calibrated the IMU, some didn't, some are flying in a new area that was never flown in, Did people reboot the devices after the upgrade? You just don't know. So you can't blame the firmware for peoples issues. With DJI selling 400,000 units, you must ASSUME that the good majority did NOT have firmware issues after the upgrade. As most people I would say are pretty tech savvy and are upgrading when it's available. Just my thoughts.
2015-8-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

I have upgraded 4 Inspires in the last two weeks. And all of them went well. One had a minor problem but it was still upgradedand and all are flying fine.
The number of people that are having trouble is extreamly low comparied to the guys not having trouble. So my advive would be to upgrade.
2015-8-24
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Sadly I think people are missing my main point.  It's good to hear that upgrades are going smoothly.  Perhaps 98% went fine.

But what features am I getting that make it worth the time and effort to perform the upgrade?
2015-8-25
Use props
Navigator53
lvl.2

United States

kneverett Posted at 2015-8-26 10:07
Sadly I think people are missing my main point.  It's good to hear that upgrades are going smoothly. ...

I'm wondering the same thing.

What are we gaining by taking a chance on upgrading the firmware on a perfectly flying Inspire?
2015-8-27
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bricked mine.

All previous updates were fine.
This one made my camera go crazy and it got really dangerously hot.
Now it wont update at all.
All my other components updated flawlessly.
Aircraft failed miserably.
Most people in the same situation either come here every now and then to see if there is a fix or they just gave up and send it in.
If it was a "small" amount of people, then I dont think it would take several months to get an inspire back. One user reportedly sent his back in April and it JUST got sent back to him.

Roll the dice my friend.
2015-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules