external mic signal still too hot
872 8 2023-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zFnfnORvfYUS
New

South Korea

I purchased an OA3 for motor blogging.
I mounted my OA3 to the chin of my helmet and recorded some test footages.
Sadly, the audio quality of the footages were so bad even with wind noise reduction setting.
All I could hear was wind buffetting noise even in slow (around 30~40km/h) speed.

So, I plugged in an external mic using usb conncetor, put (or hid) the mic inside my helmet,
and recorded some more footages.
Unfortunately, this didn't help solve the problem even with mic gain set to the lowest.

I bought an action cam that records nothing but wind noise.
What should I do to fix this nonsense?
2023-4-20
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Apparently, DJI are working on an audio adapter that will help to control the audio input.
2023-4-20
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

For now there is not much we can do without spending some extra money to get better sound.

If you have usb adapter like Boya BY-K4 you could use a cheap ebay mic, but sound will not be perfect. Or spending more money to buy external recorder or some bluetooth mic like DJI GO
2023-4-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. The high-speed airflow during driving blows the microphone directly, exceeding the threshold of the noise reduction algorithm, so the wind noise cannot be completely reduced.
You may refer to the following suggestions:
1. Connect to an external microphone and use the microphone windscreen.
2. Install a windshield to reduce the impact of the winds on the microphone physically.
Please reach us back should you have other concerns or inquiries. Thank you.
2023-4-21
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 4-21 23:57
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. The high-speed airflow during driving blows the microphone directly, exceeding the threshold of the noise reduction algorithm, so the wind noise cannot be completely reduced.
You may refer to the following suggestions:
1. Connect to an external microphone and use the microphone windscreen.

I think his post was clear enough, so this seems to be deliberate mis-understanding sto avoid addressing the problem.
The audio gain in camera can't be turned down low enough.
You can get perfectly good audio from a microphone in helmet but since it is very close to your mouth the gain must be quite low. The Action 3 can't do this but really ought to be able to there are lots of similar situations using it for 'action'.
2023-4-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Problem they said before is that some adapter have some boost in them, but that doesn't explain usb-c mics
2023-4-22
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 4-22 04:44
Problem they said before is that some adapter have some boost in them, but that doesn't explain usb-c mics

... even when you buy DJI tested mics as confirmed in the..
Major Serious Bug - Distorted Audio with External Mic thread
posts 18 and 38 ages ago, no response from DJI
2023-4-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

m326 Posted at 4-22 08:24
... even when you buy DJI tested mics as confirmed in the..
Major Serious Bug - Distorted Audio with External Mic thread
posts 18 and 38 ages ago, no response from DJI

Lab tested mics, not out in field with helmet on
2023-4-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

4wd Posted at 4-22 04:08
I think his post was clear enough, so this seems to be deliberate mis-understanding sto avoid addressing the problem.
The audio gain in camera can't be turned down low enough.
You can get perfectly good audio from a microphone in helmet but since it is very close to your mouth the gain must be quite low. The Action 3 can't do this but really ought to be able to there are lots of similar situations using it for 'action'.

We appreciate your feedback, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. We will continue to communicate this to the designated team. Thank you.
2023-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules