Camera opinions?
2012 8 2014-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirChesapeake
New

United States

Any thoughts on camera choices?  About to purchase a Phantom 2 and wondering if better to go with package that includes the camera or get one with a mount and attach a GoPro?  My use will be general outdoor photography.  
2014-9-22
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Well if you want control of the camera while flying, then you need the Vision or Vision +.
The DJI app will let you take stills or video and adjust all the camera settings from a smartphone.
Save in Adobe DNG / RAW and edit in Adobe Lightroom to use the DJI lens profile to remove the fisheye effect of the wide lens.
2014-9-22
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are ways to get the GoPro setup to do First Person View and camera control, but you will be spending more in the long run (video downlink, gimbal, etc.). And there is debate as to which camera, Vision+ and GoPro, has better performance and quality. I went with the Vision+ and am absolutely happy with the video and photo. Understanding that this does not do well with low light situations at all. Also, be prepared for lots of fisheye, so always shoot wider than you want so you can correct for fisher and crop in on the finished/corrected image in post.

Hope this helps!
2014-9-22
Use props
ringlis1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34685 ft
United States

I also went with the Vision +.  I have GoPros that I use for other photography needs, I think that the vision + is the better choice.  I also learned how to use photoshop to lens correct for video and it works like a charm.  I also use the GoPro studio to edit clips down.

I dont like how long it takes the vision + to take a RAW photo.  I do like how GoPro's can take a picture and video at the same time and would be nice to see that with the vision + future update
2014-9-22
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

If you are looking for low light video than the GoPro Hero 3+black is the best option.

The phantom camera is awesome in daylight situations. The video and stills are awesome. JMO

This is why I have both.
2014-9-22
Use props
AirChesapeake
New

United States

Thank you all for the helpful replies.  Much appreciated.
2014-9-22
Use props
jason_kimbrell
lvl.1

United States

If you plan on owning your phantom for more then a year, get the go pro version.  You will probably want to upgrade to the go pro 4 when it comes out.  Gives you more options.
2014-9-22
Use props
tymtravler
New

United States

If you are going to get a Phantom I wish I had gone with the Phantom Vision and added the Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro.  Here is some examples why.  If the fragile ribbon cable brakes you can not order one and change it yourself, it must be sent back to DJI.  The gimbal has several issues with going haywire and again you must send it back to DJI, all these issues are on the facebook site for DJI and this forum.  If you crash it and it does happens you are looking at paying almost $700.00 to replace the gimbal and camera.  Many owners have stated that it takes almost 6-8 weeks turnaround on repairs.  I only flew mine 10 times with no crashes and then the gimbal when bonkers.  The Phantom Vision + has some fantastic flying features that I love, but if my camera does not work it's useless to me, and if DJI is going to have longer then I have that's even worse.  I have not seen any posts from DJI that they are doing anything about upgrading the gimbal or cable so even when I get it back, and it's fixed will it just break again.  I most likely will sell it, cut my loss and get a Vision or maybe a Walkera.
2014-9-23
Use props
wagner_peter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

I have the V2+ and really like it so far. But I feel like the image quality could be a lot better, especially since after you run lens correction on images and video it really blurs parts of images.

My dream would be to be able have the image quality of recent smartphones (the image quality of pictures I take with my iPhone are way better than the V2+). I wish I could put my iPhone on the gimble and take pictures/video remotely with my iPad!

I do hope that DJI upgrades the camera and makes an upgrade path for V2+ owners... I'm less interested in megapixels and more interested in image quality.
2014-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules