My mini 3 crashed in a middle of Circle QuickShot mode
2569 37 2023-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208753 ft

Slovenia

Yesterday I flew my mini 3 for the seventh time. The entire flight took 8 minutes.
I made 3 videos:
  • the first video was QuickShot Dronie,
  • the second video was made manually,
  • the third video was Quickshot Circle and this flight wasn't completed successfully

As I said, the Mini 3 was in Circle QuickShot mode at about 89 m altitude and 147 m distance when I saw an error on my RC controller. And then it just fell down.

I then saw only clouds on the RC controller and it wasn't clear to me what had happened. And I still don't understand what happened. The whole thing shut down, lost signal or whatnot, and the drone fell to the ground. I watched the video several times and it just ends when the drone falls. I also looked at the log several times to see if I accidentally moved the handles on the controller, but I didn't.

I'm in a bad mood and frustrated right now. Also because we're going on vacation tomorrow and I won't have the drone.

I don't know what this means for the next flights with a drone, because now I'll have worries in my head all the time and I won't even dare to fly over any city buildings, because I can always expect something like this.

And this is a result mini_crash.png

2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We are sorry to hear about the crash. May we know if you submitted an online repair request? If not, you may submit it here: https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/index Please wrote down your needs to apply for data analysis result. If your aircraft is still under warranty period,  the data analysis services is free of charge. Corresponding offer will be given based on the data analysis result.
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

Yes I did. Drone is less than 15 days old. And I sent logs from drone and rc controller to DJI Tony.
2023-4-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a read of post #7 in the thread
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid3014166
retrieve the flight logs and up load it to
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
then post the resulting URL here.
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

Here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/9WMNWRS5U9E9UGDVG61N
2023-4-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I suspect the answer will be "no" but do you by any chance have the DAT flight log for this flight, its name will contain "FLY047" . If you have it can you copy it to your computer then upload it to a file hosting site, make the relevant page public and post a link to the page here.
2023-4-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you open the csv of the flight log and look at the last line, I do NOT like at least 2 entries,
column G, 7, "OSD.height [ft]" which = 0 and
column AL, 38, "OSD.isMotorOn" which = False.
These suggest to me that the drone stopped its motors. Leaving the drone to free fall.
There might have been a slim chance that had you applied a CSC you might have restarted the motors but you would have had to react VERY quickly. At a guess free fall terminal velocity is around 14m/s to 16m/s so you'd only have had 4 to 6 sec to realise what happened and react.
The DAT, if it exists, would have continued to record until the drone crashed or perhaps the battery disconnected or the drone was switched off.
If I am correct this would seem to be a warranty issue and, from memory, the third recent Mini 3 fell from the sky thread, the other two being
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=287886 . Drone fell out of the sky, DJI say pilot error.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=288029 . Drone destroyed - shutting down the drone while hovering.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in with opinions.
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

"There might have been a slim chance that had you applied a CSC you might have restarted the motors but you would have had to react VERY quickly."

Not for me, really. It was my 7-th flight and first one above an object. All my previous flights were done in fields close to home.
Besides, the drone was in automatic Quick Shot mode and I didn't even know that such a thing was possible, or I thought the chances were very small and I didn't even expect it.
Also, after the drone had already fallen down and all I could see on the controller was clouds, I was just looking and didn't quite realize that it had crashed. Then it came after me.

Battery was still in drone and I found it with maps on controller.

I don't have DAT flight log for this flight which name contains "FLY047". I've got those two logs:

DJI mini 3 log:
EXPORT_FILE_2023-04-25_13-37-49.DAT

DJI RC log:
DJI_RC_2023-04-25_16-41-53.DAT
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

I started reading your first post https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=287886:

I've had several conversations with the support, but each time they come back and say it was pilot error - "pilot has pulled down the Throttle-Stick. Afterwards the drone descended and crashed".

In my case I didn't touch any of control stick since it was in Quick Shot mode, like I wrote in first post:
"I also looked at the log several times to see if I accidentally moved the handles on the controller and I didn't."

2 pages of posts, DJI insisted that the pilot was to blame for the drone crash. But then DJI changed its opinion that the pilot was not at fault. Great for the pilot, but if he hadn't been persistent and had help from the forum and the DJI Wanda, it would have been the pilot's fault. But it is not explained what reall happened and why they changed their mind.
2023-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's pretty miserable luck  
My first thought, bearing in mind that obstacle avoidance is switched off during the circle manoeuvre was,  Did the drone collide with a bird?  But atfer watching the video I didn't see any sudden disruption of the smooth flight at the end, which you might expect at the moment of such a collision.   I hope you get to the bottom of the matter, and that you get the drone repaired and flying again.  Good luck.
2023-4-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mini 3 Pilot Posted at 4-26 06:42
"There might have been a slim chance that had you applied a CSC you might have restarted the motors but you would have had to react VERY quickly."

Not for me, really. It was my 7-th flight and first one above an object. All my previous flights were done in fields close to home.

You could perhaps try uploading those to a file hosting site but I suspect they will be encrypted but really you are looking for a DAT log the has a date/time stamp quite close to 2023-04-25_[11-20-49] or slightly before that.
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

Here, those are both DAT files from that day/flight:

DJI mini 3 log:
https://ufile.io/go0o3h5q

DJI RC log:
https://ufile.io/p7i6ergc
2023-4-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-26 05:47
If you open the csv of the flight log and look at the last line, I do NOT like at least 2 entries,
column G, 7, "OSD.height [ft]" which = 0 and
column AL, 38, "OSD.isMotorOn" which = False.

Yep, last records shows MotorsOFF....thus free fall from 89 meters height.

Most likely
OR a internal power failure (as the battery was found in the drone at recovery)
OR a false signal MotorsOFF wich led to closing down the motors.

Ofcourse no CSC, no errors in the log. No bird hit ect, drone attitude normal for this quickshot.
cheers
JJB   [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]
analysis3.png
2023-4-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 4-26 10:32
Yep, last records shows MotorsOFF....thus free fall from 89 meters height.

Most likely

Not another one, I see a pattern emerging
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

the third recent Mini 3 fell from the sky thread, the other two being
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=287886 . Drone fell out of the sky, DJI say pilot error.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=288029 . Drone destroyed - shutting down the drone while hovering.

I've read both threads and in both cases the motors shut down automatically, for no real reason. Log data is missing at the time of the crash.

A similar or same thing happened in my case.

In both cases, DJI first rejected the complaint, then changed its mind.
2023-4-27
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

Another same/similar type of crash with mini 3 from mavicpilots forum:

IMU error caused fatal crash - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/imu-error-caused-fatal-crash.136473/

It looks like the mini 3 has some kind of hardware or software bug?
2023-4-29
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mini 3 Pilot Posted at 4-29 21:52

IMU error caused fatal crash - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/imu-error-caused-fatal-crash.136473/

Hi,

In this flight not a "Motors off" value in the log in the last record, so not the same as the others

But ofcourse alarming to see MINI3 drones fall out of the sky!

cheers
JJB
2023-4-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mini 3 Pilot Posted at 4-29 21:52

It looks like the mini 3 has some kind of hardware or software bug?
There are hundreds of thousands of Mini 3s out there flying around.
If there was a hardware or software bug, you'd see thousands of reports, not 2 or 3.

Out of a few hundred thousand Mini 3s, it's not unusual for a few to have problems.

2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

Reply from DJI: assessment indicates that there was a malfunction that caused the issue, there was no pilot error. I'm going to get a new drone.

I was worried that DJI would judge that there was pilot error in my case as well, similar to the two cases you highlighted. But luckily that didn't happen. Thanks to everyone who helped determine the cause of the accident from logs. And thanks to DJI for the correct assessment of the error.

I really hope it was just bad luck that won't happen again and I'll eventually forget about it all.
2023-5-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mini 3 Pilot Posted at 5-2 08:57
Reply from DJI: assessment indicates that there was a malfunction that caused the issue, there was no pilot error. I'm going to get a new drone.

I was worried that DJI would judge that there was pilot error in my case as well, similar to the two cases you highlighted. But luckily that didn't happen. Thanks to everyone who helped determine the cause of the accident from logs. And thanks to DJI for the correct assessment of the error.

Hi,

Good news from DJI, obvious no Pilot Error so good that DJI found a malfunction.

Few members on here experienced the same issue.
So with some statistic reasoning.  If on this forum 300 members (random world-wide) fly a MINI3PRO and 3 members have post this nasty error than 1% of this drone population fails....
If DJI has sold 300.000 MINI3Pro than it is plausible to reason that also 1% of this big number fails.
Uhm, not a small number for DJI to deal with ; few problems is euphemism for this   ;-)

cheers
JJB
2023-5-2
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

DJI Mini 3 Pilot Posted at 5-2 08:57

Did Dji mentioned what was the malfunction about?
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4

Slovenia

No, they didn't say anything in detail.
2023-5-3
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1348881 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I remember when I had the mini 3 pro and i purposely drove to an area which was absolutely massive wide open no houses, no pylons, nothing for miles.

So, took off, after approx 200ft into the flight a message popped up on my screen saying It had lost connection, but I said to my mate "don't worry. it's designed to come home"

Yeah right....never ever found it and what log I did have DJI said It was pilot error and I flew smack into a mountain In sport mode, 3,000m away....yeah right.

At the time I was going through to much crap in my personal life to even attempt to argue the tosss, so I Just blanked It outta my mind.

Now, I wish I told them the score, that I have care refresh for 2 years, 7 drones I had owned, hundreds of flights under my belt and It WAS DRONE error NOT pilot error...but ah well.

2nd event, yet again with the 'PRO' and the oh so amazing (not) Obstacle avoidance sensors, the thing took on a mind of it's own while in cine mode and smashed into a massive tree!!

Luckily though, they did admit drone error and care refresh came to my rescue.

Result, brand new 'PRO' which I promptly sold and bought the non -pro and do not regret it at all.

Matt
2023-5-5
Use props
djiuser_VStglJ6mJUbZ
New

United Kingdom

This is very interesting and disconcerting.  I have been flying my mini 3 for 6 months frequently without a problem.  Last week I realise I have never tried the preset modes and try circle mode after taking some footage in a field.  It get's three quarters around the subject and literally drops out of the sky.  I was looking at the drone so not sure what the screen said but by the time (seconds) I look down, the camera is still on on my RC but its stopped recording.  Luckily no damage and I got the drone - checked the footage and it just stops before it falls.

This must be an error with the preset mode but now I'm hesitating flying it over any hard surface or water!
2023-5-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_VStglJ6mJUbZ Posted at 5-30 08:23
This is very interesting and disconcerting.  I have been flying my mini 3 for 6 months frequently without a problem.  Last week I realise I have never tried the preset modes and try circle mode after taking some footage in a field.  It get's three quarters around the subject and literally drops out of the sky.  I was looking at the drone so not sure what the screen said but by the time (seconds) I look down, the camera is still on on my RC but its stopped recording.  Luckily no damage and I got the drone - checked the footage and it just stops before it falls.

This must be an error with the preset mode but now I'm hesitating flying it over any hard surface or water!

Post the flight logs, both the .txt and, if you have it, the DAT.
2023-5-30
Use props
Paul_in_NI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106545 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe time for DJI to speak up about Mini 3s dropping from sky?
Last recent firmware relevant?
2023-5-30
Use props
djiuser_i6jif4QLgTRI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 281486 ft
Austria

Hello everyone,
I experienced something strange and bad today with my Mini 3 Pro, similar to what most people post here with the quick shot functionality.
Today I was doing a quick shot circle with my DJI Mini 3 Pro first, I did it anti-clockwise and then, without moving or changing anything, I decided to do a clockwise. However, out of a sudden, I saw that my drone hit a tree, this tree was not a problem, and I got stuck on it top of it. I asked the people from the park to try to help me, but they said they could not since the tree was too tall and could not reach it I left my contacts, but I think my chances are very slim.
I have DJI care and made a flyaway claim today, but I am sure this was not a mistake I made since the drone was with a break if you find an obstacle and was also in auto circle mode. I gave the logs to DJI. I hope they are reasonable and see that it was not a human error. FYI there was no wind or anything completely still air.
I lost my card with all my videos, plus the ND filter I had the drone for 6 months.

P.S. I am from Austria, and here is required to have insurance if you crash and create damage. Do you think I can ask for some money from them for my lost drone?
Also, since I paid in advance and this insurance is bonded to the drone, if I get a new drone with a new number, do I need to make a new one?

Thank you for your time!
2023-8-19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_i6jif4QLgTRI Posted at 8-19 13:11
Hello everyone,
I experienced something strange and bad today with my Mini 3 Pro, similar to what most people post here with the quick shot functionality.
Today I was doing a quick shot circle with my DJI Mini 3 Pro first, I did it anti-clockwise and then, without moving or changing anything, I decided to do a clockwise. However, out of a sudden, I saw that my drone hit a tree, this tree was not a problem, and I got stuck on it top of it. I asked the people from the park to try to help me, but they said they could not since the tree was too tall and could not reach it I left my contacts, but I think my chances are very slim.

The drone does not have sideways obstacle avoidance, going in "auto circle" results in sideways flight,  vs tree, equals collision.
2023-8-19
Use props
ken1403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13719016 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just to be clear guys the OP has a picture in post #1 and it shows a mini 3 not the pro version and therefore does not have OA.
2023-8-19
Use props
BennyB
lvl.4

Slovenia

Yes, but user djiuser_i6jif4QLgTRI is not OP and he have mini 3 pro and also problem when using quick shot circle mode. To many users have problems/crashes with quick shots so it is obvious it is something very very wrong with that.

I personally don't use automatic modes anymore. I'm too scared to crash my mini 3 again for no reason.
2023-8-19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ken1403 Posted at 8-19 18:26
Just to be clear guys the OP has a picture in post #1 and it shows a mini 3 not the pro version and therefore does not have OA.

I was replying to the chap above me
2023-8-19
Use props
simvar
lvl.1
Austria

Hi there, thank you so much for your responses!

I've been enjoying my Mini 3 Pro drone, although I've noticed that the auto mode seems a bit unpredictable—sometimes it works like a charm, while other times it doesn't detect anything at all.

Just a couple of weeks back, I attempted another quick shot by circling around myself at a distance of about 4 meters. Unfortunately, the drone ended up colliding with a tree. Luckily, there was no damage this time, but this last incident for sure make me decide not to use the auto mode going forward. Sadly, it's a bit too late now, as I've lost my drone I hope DJI fly away finds that it was not a pilot mistake

I believe it might be a good idea for DJI to take a closer look at their quick-shot features and figure out whether there's a hardware or software issue causing these occasional glitches. Your help and support on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
2023-8-20
Use props
ken1403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13719016 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-19 21:11
I was replying to the chap above me

My comment was in no way in response to your comment. It was for claification from others that referenced OA.
2023-8-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_i6jif4QLgTRI Posted at 8-19 13:11
Hello everyone,
Today I was doing a quick shot circle with my DJI Mini 3 Pro first, I did it anti-clockwise and then, without moving or changing anything, I decided to do a clockwise. However, out of a sudden, I saw that my drone hit a tree, this tree was not a problem, and I got stuck on it top of it. I asked the people from the park to try to help me, but they said they could not since the tree was too tall and could not reach it I left my contacts, but I think my chances are very slim.

Post the flight log.
2023-8-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

simvar Posted at 8-20 05:06
Hi there, thank you so much for your responses!

I've been enjoying my Mini 3 Pro drone, although I've noticed that the auto mode seems a bit unpredictable—sometimes it works like a charm, while other times it doesn't detect anything at all.

As above, post the flight log.
2023-8-20
Use props
Blackbuckone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68967 ft
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 4-29 23:27
Hi,

In this flight not a "Motors off" value in the log in the last record, so not the same as the others

Alarming to see any DJI drone do this so I do hope it gets resolved, but obviously not quick enough for the OP going on holiday.
How utterly annoying and frustrating not being to take your new toy, I would be devastated.

Cheers
2023-8-21
Use props
simvar
lvl.1
Austria

Hello everyone,
I am very disappointed by the verdict that the DJI "specialist" made after reviewing the drone logs.
1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode
2. Flight Time T=03:11, Relative Height H=34m, Distance to Home Point D=10.2m, the aircraft into the Quickshot mode.
3. Flight Time T=04:09, Relative Height H=32.5m,Dtance to Home Point D=62.3m, the aircraft left-surrounded, the aircraft crashed with obstacles
4. The incident coordinate: XXX
As a conclusion, according to the analysis, the incident was caused by non-manufacturing factors. Therefore, it is concluded to have no warranty.

The stated facts clearly show that the drone was in. autopilot "quick shot" mode- hence autopilot. Clearly is shown the drone dropped altitude without my input.
So everything that I have stated above that I have not interacted with the drone is true and supports my case that the drone sensors did not only work but also dropped altitude, which further made the collision.
And after all this, the problem is not in the drone is unacceptable.
What should I do?
2023-8-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

simvar Posted at 8-22 08:43
Hello everyone,
I am very disappointed by the verdict that the DJI "specialist" made after reviewing the drone logs.
1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode

Hi. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I replied to your post here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 147&pid=3113817 Kindly check. Thank you.
2023-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules