Drone insurance for personal use in the UK
15425 23 2015-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Screenbyte
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi all.
Can anybody tell me if there is a company that will insure my P3P in the UK.
I only fly for fun but would hate to lose the aircraft and the money of course.

The other night my P3P losty siganl for the first time and I was a nervous wreck until I got it back.

I have my DSLR camera insured and would feel a lot better if the Phathom was  well.
Thanks
2015-8-24
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I wouldn't trust an insurance company to not find some kind of loophole in order for them not to payout even if they would insure your drone - Adam
2015-8-24
Use props
Screenbyte
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Adamation Posted at 2015-8-24 23:07
I wouldn't trust an insurance company to not find some kind of loophole in order for them not to pay ...

I was thinking the same thing.
It just worries me about the money involved with one of these things here in the UK
2015-8-24
Use props
aaron.ferguson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

One kind of insurance worth getting is Public Liability Insurance - which can be bought at low cost from FPVUK (£5m 3rd party liability insurance): http://www.fpvuk.org/
2015-8-24
Use props
Levity
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1562326 ft
  • >>>
United States

I spent a week looking into finding insurance to fly in Italy, only to find out my homeowners policy covers it. My agent and the underwriter confirmed rid. The homeowners coverage is worldwide. Recommend you provide documentation if approached by the authorities .
2015-8-26
Use props
Barney2k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just for reference - UK folks looking for insurance, Heliguy offer it in partnership with a well known insurer:

https://www.heliguy.com/drone-insurance-i15
2017-2-24
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Sadly Hleiguy are only insuring commercial use of drones not private. I have looked for months to get some cover (my household insurance will not cover it). i have taken up the third party cover which i thinks is essentially, and for the cost of it on the linl above its a bargain.
2017-2-24
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

I reckon if I was an insurance company, I would touch drones for being lost................... unfortunately, anyone who has a crash could just claim it had been lost.
2017-2-24
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is likely the best you will get for public liability in the UK, but need to adhere to all the regulations to be covered.

https://bmfa.org/Info/BMFA-Insurances/Insurance
2017-2-24
Use props
SimonH78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BMFA is great for personal 3rd party accident protection only £30+ a year and some standard house insurance will cover them under you house contents against accidental damage and loss - just check.
2017-2-24
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

Have you looked at the B.M,F,A for  insurance
2017-2-24
Use props
fans552e88a2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197680 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Levity Posted at 2015-8-26 02:16
I spent a week looking into finding insurance to fly in Italy, only to find out my homeowners policy covers it. My agent and the underwriter confirmed rid. The homeowners coverage is worldwide. Recommend you provide documentation if approached by the authorities .

That might be for cover of replacing the drone but not for public liability. Rather than thinking about ones pocket, one needs to spend a little more time about safety to others and the implications if such an incident should happen
2017-2-25
Use props
fans552e88a2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197680 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brum Ken Posted at 2017-2-24 11:12
Have you looked at the B.M,F,A for  insurance

Yeah its more expensive because they supply you with a non multirotor related magazine on RC hobby
2017-2-25
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

I used them a few years ago when I flew fixed wing for a number of clubs I flew at,
the magazine you could read when weather is bad
2017-2-25
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Adamation Posted at 2015-8-24 07:07
I wouldn't trust an insurance company to not find some kind of loophole in order for them not to payout even if they would insure your drone - Adam

Yes, but if something did happen and it ended up in court it would look better in front of a judge if you could show you had the foresight to actually get some insurance.
2017-2-27
Use props
ZviLerner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 498501 ft
United Kingdom

I am still looking for cheap insurance for public liability and drone protection. Please can someone help!
2018-3-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2015-8-24 08:24
One kind of insurance worth getting is Public Liability Insurance - which can be bought at low cost from FPVUK (£5m 3rd party liability insurance): http://www.fpvuk.org/

I've been a member of FPV since 2016 - £19.99 a year for £5M of public liability insurance to fly drones anywhere in Europe (as a British citizen) for recreational use is great! Print off the certificate, put it in your bag to show those on a need to know basis and you're good to go.
2018-3-28
Use props
stevex
lvl.2

BMFA gives you £25 Million third party liability cover for each claim, cost is £34. Actually membership is £34, insurance comes with membership; bargain I'd say.
2018-3-28
Use props
djiuser_1J6uzfW9ercW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37372 ft

Hi for drone insurance in the UK you could try (for around £30 - £40) https://www.photoguard.co.uk/  and for 5million public liability insurance in the UK for just £20 a year https://www.fpvuk.org/
2018-7-1
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Post office cover drones on house insurance, one caveat, you cannot claim if you dont have the drone (like DJI's policy)
2018-7-2
Use props
Chris_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6142 ft
United Kingdom

As stevex stated above,  become a BMFA member. Easy.  
2018-7-3
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

FPV for me , simple and inexpensive
2018-7-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

helidan Posted at 2017-2-27 08:16
Yes, but if something did happen and it ended up in court it would look better in front of a judge if you could show you had the foresight to actually get some insurance.

Guys talking about Insured Loss of the Drone - not the carnage it does.

Doubt ever a court case for a flyaway !!

Nigel
2018-7-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

fans552e88a2 Posted at 2017-2-25 07:17
Yeah its more expensive because they supply you with a non multirotor related magazine on RC hobby

And ?

BMFA as part of SMAE is the Worlds First Model Society created to look after all Model Flyers interests.

It is one of the most respected of all Model Groups and is actually the body that has fought hard for YOU in UK to have freedom to fly your Drone / other models. Without them - I am sure it would have been a totally different scenario.

I was a SMAE rep for a number of years when I lived and flew in UK ... it was hard but often rewarding work.

Given the price of membership and its standing with CAA / Govt ... the 3rd Party Insurance, guidelines etc. - its cheap price for so much.

I wish we had similar here in Latvia ...

Nigel
Brit living in Latvia
2018-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules