Too much stress on the center board
2015-8-25
Use props
learjet
lvl.2

Mexico

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-8-26 15:37
Too much stress on the center board

the said is quite strong than the normal dji arms.
But for sure a stress always exist in the main frame, i beleive also have to deal with the motor power and  lifting weight you are dealing with.
2015-8-26
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

learjet Posted at 2015-8-26 23:38
the said is quite strong than the normal dji arms.
But for sure a stress always exist in the main ...

I looked into that but ended up with the 650 aluminum arms and E600 motors. Its lightly loaded and flies great.  You might consider the Team BlackSheep carbon fiber arms though and going with E800 motors. They are lighter than the RCTimer arms. What are you planning to carry?
2015-8-27
Use props
learjet
lvl.2

Mexico

amorrison Posted at 2015-8-27 14:51
I looked into that but ended up with the 650 aluminum arms and E600 motors. Its lightly loaded and ...

hello  amorrison

would like to be able  lift a DSLR  for  10min ,
and also smaller cameras like gopro/sony nex.

thinking to use 340kv  sunnysky motors with 6S lipo and 15" props.
2015-8-28
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

learjet Posted at 2015-8-28 10:52
hello  amorrison

If you are carrying a DSLR then you will need a gimbal for video. By the time you add that weight you are in the S900 territory. I have the P2V+, modified F650, and Inspire 1. Many people who have the larger birds have gone to the Inspire for convenience and simplicity. The Phantom3 pro might be a good choice. The reason I have the F650 is for doing panorama aerial stills with a Sony RX100 IV (no gimbal). Unless you just like building and experimenting I would recommend you go with either the P3pro, Inspire, or if you must lift a DSLR, the S900. I don't think building on an F550 center plate would ultimately give you what you want.  Not trying to discourage you, just my opinion. I love my F650 for many reasons, flies great, A2 controller is very accurate and has POI, shooting stills, but when I need a dependable video platform, I go to the Inspire.
2015-8-29
Use props
BadWolf5150
lvl.1

United States

amorrison Posted at 2015-8-29 08:09
If you are carrying a DSLR then you will need a gimbal for video. By the time you add that weight  ...

I have  a Phantom 3, Inspire 1, s1000, Matrice, 3DR, and F550 heavily modded. I enjoy the F550 most, just for the smell of solder fumes and exciting frustration.

I use Aeroxcraft X55 Extended Aluminium Arm with an additional motor extension plate bolted to it. I stuck on Aeroxcraft's lading gear and a gimble plus GoPro camera. It's nice and rigid but heavy as you might imagine. It takes the 60 motors to get off the ground and the performance is marginal, but it was the most fun to build, and isn't that the point of doing something you really enjoy. Tinkering, problem solving, doing what nobody in their right mind would do?

I use my other machines for serious work, but they' weren't much of a challenge to build. And no solder fumes. Where's the fun in that?
I say mod that F550. If it craters or flips and mows the lawn, it needs more work. If you like to tinker, go for it.

I forgot to answer your question. I have four F550 plates and a bucket of arms. The ones you are thinking of are lighter than the stock 550 arms. I don't see any problems with your build. The only warning I'd give is that they lack the landing gear spikes under the motors, so so you'll be landing on the F550's belly. There are arms out there that will take spike extensions, like the Aeroxcraft's, so you might want to look a bit more.  I'll dig through my bucket of parts and see what I've accumulated and give you a better answer.  As for motors, a 310 would do the job, but the 60's pack a whallop with a modest machine.

2015-9-4
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

amorrison Posted at 2015-8-29 07:09
If you are carrying a DSLR then you will need a gimbal for video. By the time you add that weight  ...

How did you mount your Sony RX100? I am thinking of doing a setup like yours.

Thanks
Dave
2015-12-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

BadWolf5150 Posted at 2015-9-4 05:31
I have  a Phantom 3, Inspire 1, s1000, Matrice, 3DR, and F550 heavily modded. I enjoy the F550 most ...

I agree. I love to tinker!
2015-12-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

learjet Posted at 2015-8-28 06:52
hello  amorrison

How is your project coming?
2015-12-9
Use props
harryinhbg
New
United States

amorrison Posted at 2015-8-29 23:09
If you are carrying a DSLR then you will need a gimbal for video. By the time you add that weight you are in the S900 territory. I have the P2V+, modified F650, and Inspire 1. Many people who have the larger birds have gone to the Inspire for convenience and simplicity. The Phantom3 pro might be a good choice. The reason I have the F650 is for doing panorama aerial stills with a Sony RX100 IV (no gimbal). Unless you just like building and experimenting I would recommend you go with either the P3pro, Inspire, or if you must lift a DSLR, the S900. I don't think building on an F550 center plate would ultimately give you what you want.  Not trying to discourage you, just my opinion. I love my F650 for many reasons, flies great, A2 controller is very accurate and has POI, shooting stills, but when I need a dependable video platform, I go to the Inspire.

I see that you have used a Sony RX100 IV.  Among the compact digital cameras that I have is an RX100 II. My problem with fitting it up for my F550 is that there is no A/V output port.  Do you have any suggestions for an adapter?

I like cameras with a function ring around the lens, which allows servo control of the Focal Length using a friction contact with a rubber wheel on the servo output shaft. Present favorite is the Canon S-100, but the RX100 may be a bit of an upgrade.
2016-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules