Internal microphone issue
1042 20 2023-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
noname123
lvl.1
Poland

Hi everyone!
I've got an issue with internal microphone of Action 3: if volume of incoming sound drops below a certain level, a microphone's gain plummets and stays low until more distinct sound appears, which causes gain to snap back to its original level. There's no option to set or lock mic's gain manually, changing of other settings doesn't fix the problem, the firmware is up to date, an external mic is not an option. I suspect it to be an software related issue. Did anyone encounter such a problem? Is there any way to deal with it?
Thanks in advance!

2023-4-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Noise reduction on Auto?
2023-4-30
Use props
noname123
lvl.1
Poland

johansenfoto Posted at 4-30 09:41
Noise reduction on Auto?

I've tried every possible configuration of both directional audio and noise reduction. In vain. I haven't tried the mono option, because I'm uninterested in mono recordings. I've filmed only in HDR mode, if it has any significance.  
2023-4-30
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I have noticed all sorts of weirdness with the audio here and there. For example, try to do a test where you cover one of the front mics with your finger and while you talk move the camera in front of you from left to right then right to left. Now repeat with the other mic covered. At one point our voice will completely disappear.

At other times when I'm biking (bicycle) I can hear the wind. Normal. So far so good. But in certain situations all of a sudden I hear weird static as if you hold the switch on a CB radio for a second or so. Doesn't happen all the time and it usually happens when there is wind (in addition to the wind created by the speed of the bike).

Also, see this thread (this is different from what I described above) but still a weird microphone issue:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=288378

2023-4-30
Use props
noname123
lvl.1
Poland

osmonauta Posted at 4-30 10:52
I have noticed all sorts of weirdness with the audio here and there. For example, try to do a test where you cover one of the front mics with your finger and while you talk move the camera in front of you from left to right then right to left. Now repeat with the other mic covered. At one point our voice will completely disappear.

At other times when I'm biking (bicycle) I can hear the wind. Normal. So far so good. But in certain situations all of a sudden I hear weird static as if you hold the switch on a CB radio for a second or so. Doesn't happen all the time and it usually happens when there is wind (in addition to the wind created by the speed of the bike).

Thanks! So far I didn't notice problems, you have described, but I will pay more attention to them. As for me, I don't talk to the camera, nor mount it on bicycle, but I try to capture an ambience of my surroundings. It is annoying to hear i.e. wind in the trees being gradually muffled and suddenly popping up out of nowhere at first slightly louder sound. I think it may be an deliberate DIJ's move to implement such a feature for vloggers, as it cuts the background noise out, but for God's sake, let me turn it off or adjust my mic's gain myself...
2023-4-30
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

noname123 Posted at 4-30 11:46
Thanks! So far I didn't notice problems, you have described, but I will pay more attention to them. As for me, I don't talk to the camera, nor mount it on bicycle, but I try to capture an ambience of my surroundings. It is annoying to hear i.e. wind in the trees being gradually muffled and suddenly popping up out of nowhere at first slightly louder sound. I think it may be an deliberate DIJ's move to implement such a feature for vloggers, as it cuts the background noise out, but for God's sake, let me turn it off or adjust my mic's gain myself...

Agreed.

...10 char limit
2023-4-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

the camera can not do Internal Mic gain , its an Action camera, other cameras can do internal mic  gain,  DJI will be the one in the control department to release to all, they chose not to.  How can we Beef it up without the external mic and Pro set, really no option to do so, what you  can do is use  your smartphone to record sound and synch in an editor.    o ther then that I agree but is is what it is
2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, noname123. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please give us a sample recording/video as well as the parameters you used for further checking?
2023-4-30
Use props
noname123
lvl.1
Poland

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-30 18:13
Hi, noname123. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please give us a sample recording/video as well as the parameters you used for further checking?

Hi! Thank you for the response!
Sure, I can do that. I've put together three samples I've cut out from various recordings, but I can find more examples of that issue, if needed. Video quality was lowered to save space, but audio is of higher quality. First two samples were recorded with wind noise reduction off, and last one with WNR on. I can send you files, as they came straight out of camera, but keep in mind, they're bulky. Firmware 01.03.10.30, camera firmware 10.00.31.12. I've sent you link to the video via PM.
2023-4-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

can you explain  the differences in your audio quality you are doing. that is  something  DJI asked the parameters
2023-5-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

noname123 Posted at 4-30 23:32
Hi! Thank you for the response!
Sure, I can do that. I've put together three samples I've cut out from various recordings, but I can find more examples of that issue, if needed. Video quality was lowered to save space, but audio is of higher quality. First two samples were recorded with wind noise reduction off, and last one with WNR on. I can send you files, as they came straight out of camera, but keep in mind, they're bulky. Firmware 01.03.10.30, camera firmware 10.00.31.12. I've sent you link to the video via PM.

Hi, noname123. Thank you for the details, we have replied to your PM. Please check. Thank you.
2023-5-1
Use props
noname123
lvl.1
Poland

Fishycomics Posted at 5-1 02:53
can you explain  the differences in your audio quality you are doing. that is  something  DJI asked the parameters

I'm not entirely sure, what do you mean, but if you asking about audio quality in the video I've sent to the DJI, I meant, that this video was edited and rendered by my to the lower quality of the visuals itself, but I've tried to preserve the sound as close to the original, as possible. It is cumbersome to send a whole video raw from the camera only to show a few seconds here and there, where the problem occurs + there's no issue with the visuals itself.   
2023-5-1
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

that you need to send the actual file, what DJI needs, editing to  how is not going to work if asked, but good luck
2023-5-1
Use props
noname123
lvl.1
Poland

Fishycomics Posted at 5-1 11:34
that you need to send the actual file, what DJI needs, editing to  how is not going to work if asked, but good luck

I've got several hours worth of HDR videos in FHD, those files are big, but ok, I will ask DJI. Thanks!
2023-5-1
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

noname123 Posted at 5-1 12:32
I've got several hours worth of HDR videos in FHD, those files are big, but ok, I will ask DJI. Thanks!

you got an Issue and can do another video that is 15 seconds worth to prove a point, that is what I do, oh it doesn't happen, we get that.  Just saying
2023-5-1
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

noname123 Posted at 5-1 12:32

Try to make a new recording to recreate the issue, then send that file or post that file to youtube etc.

That's what Fish is trying to tell you
2023-5-1
Use props
noname123
lvl.1
Poland

johansenfoto Posted at 5-1 22:13
Try to make a new recording to recreate the issue, then send that file or post that file to youtube etc.

That's what Fish is trying to tell you

I get it! Thanks!
BTW: As far as I know, you can't send an original video file via YT. It will be compressed with some lossy compressor by the YT to fit their system and save space on their servers. Everything (or almost everything) you watch there, was compressed, sometimes several times: First time by the camera, second time by the creator in post production, third time by the YT upon upload. Loss of quality may not be easily noticeable, but it's still there and one can't say, the file is original.
Cheers!
2023-5-1
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Haven't DJI got a repository where individuals can upload content for scrutiny?
2023-5-2
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Gopro  suggests Dropbox.com that is what they are allowed to  accept

DJI should also come forward and suggest a    hosting sitebut youtube, DJI can purchase the  file if like with the  subscription to Youtube

2023-5-2
Use props
noname123
lvl.1
Poland

Fishycomics Posted at 5-2 03:33
Gopro  suggests Dropbox.com that is what they are allowed to  accept

DJI should also come forward and suggest a    hosting sitebut youtube, DJI can purchase the  file if like with the  subscription to Youtube

I was told to use Google Drive or DropBox. I chose to use GD, because it is familiar to me, while I have never used DB.
2023-5-3
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

noname123 Posted at 5-3 08:02
I was told to use Google Drive or DropBox. I chose to use GD, because it is familiar to me, while I have never used DB.

there you go   easy peasy they say.
2023-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules