Proppeller installation - advice please
355 9 2023-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neoborg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've recently ordered a full set of Master Airscrew Stealth Propellers for my Mini 2, as I've noticed it's turning slightly during normal flights.  People have suggested it could be the propellers as they original from when I purchased the drone about 15 months ago, so I decided to try and upgrade the stock propellers while I'm at it.

I realise that this isn't officially supported by DJI themselves, therefore I'm taking my life and my drone's life in my own hands by installing the Airscrews propellers.

As this is my first done, I've never changed propellers before.  I've watched videos suggesting that I completely unscrew the blades, then screw the old screw back in to help wipe up the old blue threadlock.  Other videos suggest blowing the motors out, while some even suggest lubing the bearings up, which is completely alien to me.  What's worrying me the most is over tightening the screws, especially as I can be a little heavy handed sometimes - while the videos tend to say nip the screw up, my nip will probably end up a little tighter than their nips.

I'd welcome any suggestions on the removal and installation of propellers.  Even if they all say the same thing as what I've said I've seen in YouTube videos, at least it will help put me at ease.

2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nothing complicated,  unscrew the props,    put a new screw through the new prop,  align and screw it in.   Sometimes with the new screw turning it the wrong way until you hear/feel a click so you know the threads are aligned helps get the screw started.  Dont force it as they cross thread easily.    Also note that using non OEM parts in the UK was considered unsafe by the CAA.     
Get a proper screw driver,  the little thing supplied is terrible for damaging the screw heads.   And tighten them until they are flush to the prop,  dont go overboard they will snap.  After a short flight check all the screws visually to see if they have come out a little,    tends to happen if you reuse old screws instead of using new.   Always use new.  

With the DJI props they are paired together so dont mix them up.
2023-5-12
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-12 05:40
Nothing complicated,  unscrew the props,    put a new screw through the new prop,  align and screw it in.   Sometimes with the new screw turning it the wrong way until you hear/feel a click so you know the threads are aligned helps get the screw started.  Dont force it as they cross thread easily.    Also note that using non OEM parts in the UK was considered unsafe by the CAA.     
Get a proper screw driver,  the little thing supplied is terrible for damaging the screw heads.   And tighten them until they are flush to the prop,  dont go overboard they will snap.  After a short flight check all the screws visually to see if they have come out a little,    tends to happen if you reuse old screws instead of using new.   Always use new.  

Great advice right there! I've been using MAS props for the Mini 3 Pro since release and they've been great. Always reverse the new screws to make sure they thread correctly and always use new screws.

Like the OEM props, they are balanced per package.
2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KLRSKIR Posted at 5-12 06:56
Great advice right there! I've been using MAS props for the Mini 3 Pro since release and they've been great. Always reverse the new screws to make sure they thread correctly and always use new screws.

Like the OEM props, they are balanced per package.

Id like to try them here but the drone rules make it seem like we should not use non oem parts.
2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

this might also be helpful -
2023-5-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ignore post
2023-5-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-12 05:40
Also note that using non OEM parts in the UK was considered unsafe by the CAA.     

Do you have a link to the CAA statement regarding  "Also note that using non OEM parts in the UK was considered unsafe by the CAA."?
I wonder how many people are unaware of it?
I am one though I only use DJI props.
2023-5-12
Use props
neoborg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I want to thank everybody for posting, there's already a lot of useful information in this thread alone.  I didn't think about the backing off on the screws to find the thread first, but it makes complete sense.

Do people let the threadlock cure for ~24 hours, or is it generally safe to fly straight away?
2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-12 07:56
Do you have a link to the CAA statement regarding  "Also note that using non OEM parts in the UK was considered unsafe by the CAA."?
I wonder how many people are unaware of it?
I am one though I only use DJI props.

I had looked when I wrote it but couldnt find it.  I will look again,  it may be since we departed EASA it's changed.
2023-5-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

neoborg Posted at 5-12 08:14
I want to thank everybody for posting, there's already a lot of useful information in this thread alone.  I didn't think about the backing off on the screws to find the thread first, but it makes complete sense.

Do people let the threadlock cure for ~24 hours, or is it generally safe to fly straight away?

Threadlock does not need 24 hours to work. You can fly straight away...
2023-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules