Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic 3 Classic goes kamikaze ( dangerous )
2170 32 2023-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Laurens Aviator
lvl.1
Belgium

Today my mavic 3 Classic went out of control right after take off.
I was airborn to take real estate pictures of a building. All indications Green, GPS green, no Wind and then i took off. Usually it remains in the hover position as we all know. This time it immidiately flew away for about 150 meters, 15 meters high.Sudently, the drone begun to fly sideways. I tryed to control it but the controller said something i never heard before. i tried to stabilize it with countermovements, but it just reacted strange and flew right full speed into the building and crashed very hard against the wall,next to a very big window. I was shocked! The drone is in pieces.
Luckily nobody was hit or hurt. The drone is two weeks old, i have a lot of experience with dji products. This is my 5th dji drone so i know what i'm doing. Any body else had this failure? How come the front camera wasnt able to detect the wall? The controller was in normal stand. I hope the data will show the error and they will give me a new one hopefully.
2023-5-16
Use props
LV_Forestry
Captain
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Interesting. Upload your flight log, there are some experts in decrypting this data here, you can trust them.
Don't expect anything from DJI except to tell you it's your fault.

edit :
And I forget the most important, once you have received the observations of those who know how to decipher flight data, do not hesitate to report to your CAA. Especially if it turns out that the drone has become uncontrollable on its own. You mention the brand, model and firmware version.

2023-5-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13395489 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Like mentioned above, post your flight logs. Upload to the link below and then post that link back here. This sounds like a compass error/magnetic interference.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2023-5-16
Use props
Laurens Aviator
lvl.1
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-16 11:04
Interesting. Upload your flight log, there are some experts in decrypting this data here, you can trust them.
Don't expect anything from DJI except to tell you it's your fault.

Thanks, i will do that!
2023-5-16
Use props
LV_Forestry
Captain
Latvia

Suren Posted at 5-16 11:12
Like mentioned above, post your flight logs. Upload to the link below and then post that link back here. This sounds like a compass error/magnetic interference.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

Indeed, our new friend did not tell us everything here.
"i started at the tirth floor balkony."

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 132&pid=3047038

Suren, you're probably right.
2023-5-16
Use props
Laurens Aviator
lvl.1
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-16 11:25
Indeed, our new friend did not tell us everything here.
"i started at the tirth floor balkony."

Yes, i do this al the time, never had problems before. It's an open balkony, penthouse.
2023-5-16
Use props
LV_Forestry
Captain
Latvia

Laurens Aviator Posted at 5-16 11:43
Yes, i do this al the time, never had problems before. It's an open balkony, penthouse.

Unfortunately for it's a winning ticket for DJI deny you the warranty.

I strongly encourage you to report to the CAA because whatever it is or where you start, a drone that goes away on its own at full speed without an order from the operator, that should not exist.

Have you tried to perform CSC ?
2023-5-16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Laurens Aviator Posted at 5-16 11:43

Hi,

Did you check before take off the heading indication in the FlyApp Map view, compare to the actual heading ?

If you upload your flightlog, add if you can remember wich actual heading your drone was heading to.
Camera pointed to N, or E or....even better roughly in degrees.

Full speed into a building, than probably no reaction time / brake distance for the OA.
Plus in a compass/yaw 'fly away', drone will goes all the way in max speed.....

But log will explain more.

cheers
JJB

2023-5-16
Use props
Laurens Aviator
lvl.1
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-16 11:48

I strongly encourage you to report to the CAA because whatever it is or where you start, a drone that goes away on its own at full speed without an order from the operator, that should not exist.

I never start with auto, always spinning the rotors first. Today, i didn't use the csc when i had no control. I panicted , it all happend so fast...7 sec max... Still shaking a bit.
2023-5-16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-16 11:48

I strongly encourage you to report to the CAA because whatever it is or where you start, a drone that goes away on its own at full speed without an order from the operator, that should not exist.

Yeah, if this is a proper compass/yaw fly away   than DJI should change this 'going max speed' behaviour in the software!

Trigger is 2 yaw signal not in sync, so if this is recognized > make the drone go into ATTI mode.
This will kill the speeding up! as this will not stop as the drone will not come back to its position just before this error started.
More away from position = more correction = more away - more....max speed !

cheers
JJB
2023-5-16
Use props
LV_Forestry
Captain
Latvia

Laurens Aviator Posted at 5-16 11:57
I never start with auto, always spinning the rotors first. Today, i didn't use the csc when i had no control. I panicted , it all happend so fast...7 sec max... Still shaking a bit.

I understand you perfectly. See no offense in our question/comment. We all know very well that doing a CSC is not a natural reflex, so the impact is unfortunately often inevitable. But as JJB mentioned it should be modified in the software.

What is worrying is that the problem is not new, here we always have the right to the traditional "sorry for the inconvenience, we will forward to the designated team, thank you for your kind understanding" Message which should not delay in arriving here.
But obviously after all these generations of drones that have the same problem, either we are being lied to and the message is not forwarded, or the designated team is wiping their ass with the request.

2023-5-16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-16 12:13
I understand you perfectly. See no offense in our question/comment. We all know very well that doing a CSC is not a natural reflex, so the impact is unfortunately often inevitable. But as JJB mentioned it should be modified in the software.

What is worrying is that the problem is not new, here we always have the right to the traditional "sorry for the inconvenience, we will forward to the designated team, thank you for your kind understanding" Message which should not delay in arriving here.

The most and imo the only important check before any flight is to check the blue arrow in the map view before take off. If not the same heading ; DO NOT FLY.

No comment to Laurens, but if all drone pilots do this simple check, most compass/yaw fly aways are killed before this error can do harm to your drone....

cheers
JJB
2023-5-16
Use props
LV_Forestry
Captain
Latvia

JJB* Posted at 5-16 12:20
The most and imo the only important check before any flight is to check the blue arrow in the map view before take off. If not the same heading ; DO NOT FLY.

No comment to Laurens, but if all drone pilots do this simple check, most compass/yaw fly aways are killed before this error can do harm to your drone....

What you write makes sense and should be mentioned in the manual, maybe it is but I couldn't find it.
2023-5-16
Use props
Laurens Aviator
lvl.1
Belgium

JJB* Posted at 5-16 11:52
Hi,

Did you check before take off the heading indication in the FlyApp Map view, compare to the actual heading ?

Yes, i googled the issue and some topics are from 2018 so it isnt the first time. Tomorrow i will upload the data.
2023-5-16
Use props
Laurens Aviator
lvl.1
Belgium

The most and imo the only important check before any flight is to check the blue arrow in the map view before take off. If not the same heading ; DO NOT FLY.

True. I had control for 3 to 5 sec...it feld like someone else was taking over te co trol. I could fight it for a few seconds and then it was all lost
2023-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Laurens Aviator Posted at 5-16 12:27
Yes, i googled the issue and some topics are from 2018 so it isnt the first time. Tomorrow i will upload the data.

Why wait?
It only takes two minutes.
Do you want to know what happened and haow to prevent it happening in future?

go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

2023-5-16
Use props
Laurens Aviator
lvl.1
Belgium

Labroides Posted at 5-16 14:17
Why wait?
It only takes two minutes.
Do you want to know what happened and haow to prevent it happening in future?

Ow yes please
2023-5-16
Use props
Hrodnand
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972293 ft
Romania

Laurens Aviator Posted at 5-16 12:27

Any news on that flight log? I'm also curious to see the data
2023-5-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Laurens. Thank you for reaching out. We are sincerely sorry to read about what happened. Since the drone crashed, we highly recommend that you send your drone back to us for further diagnosis and repair. Data analysis can also be requested (a fee might be applied depending on the warranty ). You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If you need assistance creating a ticket, contact DJI support at (https://www.dji.com/support). Your kind understanding is appreciated and thank you for your continued support.
2023-5-18
Use props
Burt37
Captain
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Tomorrow, would be yesterday now...
2023-5-18
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
Flight distance : 10238648 ft
  • >>>
United States

It  may not be a log that should be shared.  
2023-5-18
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Earth to Laurens Aviator
How's that data coming along?
It seemed that you were interested to learn from the incident and be able to prevent a similar occurrence in future.
?????
2023-5-18
Use props
Mavic3newbie
Flight distance : 678389 ft
Germany

Hey, I had the same problem, my mavic 3 classic staring flying to the left, I had to balance it out with some right stick input however there was no wind, gps lock (12-18) sats, and all the other safety measures were taken before takeoff. I took off on a small field with lots of space.

Btw I looked at the flight log and realised there was a input on the controlls that I didnt have controll over. Anyone knows what it could be?
2023-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Mavic3newbie Posted at 5-19 13:03
Hey, I had the same problem, my mavic 3 classic staring flying to the left, I had to balance it out with some right stick input however there was no wind, gps lock (12-18) sats, and all the other safety measures were taken before takeoff. I took off on a small field with lots of space.

Btw I looked at the flight log and realised there was a input on the controlls that I didnt have controll over. Anyone knows what it could be?

If you do what the OP failed to do, and post your recorded flight data, I could have a look and probably come up with some ideas.
See my first post in this thread for instructions.

2023-5-19
Use props
Mavic3newbie
Switzerland

Labroides Posted at 5-19 13:48
If you do what the OP failed to do, and post your recorded flight data, I could have a look and probably come up with some ideas.
See my first post in this thread for instructions.

Sure, I will post them soon
2023-5-21
Use props
Killerbee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

Might have anything to do with Kp Index and GPS loss or GPS drift?
https://www.droneacademy.com/what-is-kp-index/
2023-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Killerbee Posted at 5-21 09:41
Might have anything to do with Kp Index and GPS loss or GPS drift?
https://www.droneacademy.com/what-is-kp-index/

No ... it won't have anything to do with the Kp index.
Most of what you've read about the Kp index affecting drones is a myth.
The Kp index has never been responsible for any drone incident.

The OP's incident was almost certainly a yaw error issue, caused by his choice of startuo location.
If he's been interested enough to post flight data, that would have confirmed it and he's also have learned how to prevent such incidents in future.
2023-5-21
Use props
Mavic3newbie
Poland

Hi, I got a link to the flight data; here it is:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/6LJZLN46J5PAKDOX52DP/  
2023-5-22
Use props
Mavic3newbie
Switzerland

Hi, here is the ling to Logs    https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/6LJZLN46J5PAKDOX52DP/
2023-5-22
Use props
digibud
First Officer
Flight distance : 7652890 ft
  • >>>
United States

The most and imo the only important check before any flight is to check the blue arrow in the map view before take off. If not the same heading ; DO NOT FLY.

can you expand on this a bit to further explain what you mean?
2023-5-22
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi

Had a look at your flight.

It is ofcourse not possible to know wich RC input was done by you   and wich not.....

Flight started with not that much satellites, just 9.
But 9 sats with a number 4 (range 0 - 5) for GPS data is normally enough for a good flight.

In your log the speed calculated by the software and the GPS speed are not in sync, see my chart of your data. Normally the V-xy and V-GPS are showing the same speed. (plus minus little offset value)
Last part of the flight with more receiving satellites both speed were, as normal, in sync. (see the chart for this)

WInd,,,see the barometric height line, coloured red where the software 'measures' wind.
This done by comparison drone pitch and roll angles to achieved speed.
Guess bc the incorrect speed this wind warning is not correct.

Your drone did not loose its GPS reception.

Fly again in area where your have more than 9 sats, see if this issue still there.

cheers
JJB    [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2023-5-22
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

digibud Posted at 5-22 08:50
can you expand on this a bit to further explain what you mean?

Hi,

i will try to explain better.

Your drone compass, so your heading of your drone is seen in the radar display bottem left FlyApp.

If you open the map view from the radar display you get a map view.
By default the map orientation is North on Top.
The blue arrow shows the heading of your drone to the map view.

So if you put your drone on the ground facing North, in the map view the blue arrow is up pointing North as well. E = E, S= S ect.
So if the actual heading on the ground is the same as the blue drone arrow is heading to....good to go for a flight. If not the same, do not fly.
What i normally do, align my drone on the ground to a mark line on the map.  So or parallel to a road or waterway, or 90 degrees to that road etc.
Easy to check on the map view.

See the chart, my drone on the ground parallel to the water line....so go to go for a flight.

cheers
JJB
EasyCompassCheck.png
2023-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Mavic3newbie Posted at 5-19 13:03

I don't see anything in your flight data that matches what the OP described for his flight.
It might help if you could point out where in the flight, your drone started flying to the left without you controlling it to.

And what do you mean by: there was a input on the controlls that I didnt have controll over  
?
2023-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules