Ipad 3rd generation won't work ?
14211 34 2015-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
playaz
lvl.1

Slovenia

I have an Ipad 3 3rd generation but on the website they list only Ipad 3 mini. Does this really mean that I won't be able to use my ipad with Phantom 3 or will this work in reality (same system...) ?
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

have u actually tried it?
2015-8-25
Use props
playaz
lvl.1

Slovenia

No as I don't have the Phantom yet and I'd like to know if I will be able to use my iPad or not... kinda sucks buying new ipad just for the phantom to fly.
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

playaz Posted at 2015-8-26 03:31
No as I don't have the Phantom yet and I'd like to know if I will be able to use my iPad or not... k ...

all i can say is with ios devices if not listed probably wont work, i am sure if someone who has used one will chime in here.
2015-8-25
Use props
playaz
lvl.1

Slovenia

Yeah if someone is using the standard ipads, please let me know.
2015-8-25
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

playaz Posted at 2015-8-26 03:31
No as I don't have the Phantom yet and I'd like to know if I will be able to use my iPad or not... k ...

Whatever generation/model iPad you have, it apparently needs to have an A7 or A8 processor. (Hope I got that right! I'm not much of an Apple guy.) In fact, I'm looking at my iPad 2nd generation (much too old to work with the Phantom) and all I can see is that stupid apple with a byte (pun intended) taken out of it.

My wife is in the mood to buy some new tablets and we've decided they're not going to be iPads! She thinks the best tablet (best bang for your buck) is the Kindle Fire - but I'll bet my pension that won't work with my Phantom.

Curses, foiled still!
2015-8-25
Use props
ponchonb
lvl.1

United States

Yea my IPAD mini wont work either, has to be IPAD MINI 2 or above.
2015-8-25
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

playaz Posted at 2015-8-26 03:54
Yeah if someone is using the standard ipads, please let me know.

Try to install the app regardless you have the drone or not.  It won't install if ur iPad is not compatible.
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

gongml Posted at 2015-8-26 04:16
Try to install the app regardless you have the drone or not.  It won't install if ur iPad is not c ...

he is 100% correct. now there are ways to force install it but i wouldnt suggest it as it just wont be a happy experience to fly with it since it will freeze, reboot, etc etc
2015-8-25
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

I had to sell my fourth generation iPad, bought an iPad Air (first, not second). Works fine - but not in the first version of any generation. Unfortunately.
2015-8-25
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Correct -- Apple devices must have an A7 or A8 processor. For Android, the devices on the following list work well:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/which-device-s-do-you-use-to-run-the-dji-pilot-app.48525

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-25
Use props
TIMOTHY PETERS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I have an iPad 3. DJI Go the app will not even download form the app store. I get an error message saying that the device is not compatible.

I also have an iPhone 5 which has the same issue. I am going to upgrade my phone, but the next gen iPhone will be announced on 9/9 so I will wait.

Phantom 3 standard gets delivered tomorrow! I was able to borrow an iPad 3 mini for the time being.
2015-8-25
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TIMOTHY PETERS, neither of the devices you mentioned have a fast enough processor.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
2015-8-25
Use props
playaz
lvl.1

Slovenia

Are there any differences between IOS and ADROID app ? Is one better and more reliable than other, based on testing so far? This might help with decision which tablet to buy.
2015-8-25
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

playaz, you'll most likely be happier with an Apple device. While they are more expensive, they work better right out of the box and DJI tends to release features faster for Apple devices. DJI employees often use and/or recommend the iPad Air or Mini when asked.

www.PhantomHelp.com
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-26 05:54
playaz, you'll most likely be happier with an Apple device. While they are more expensive, they work ...

i second that opinion. now step back phantomhelp.com and lets see all the droid users throwing rocks at us
2015-8-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular... Throw the money at it, and smile. It works great.

You know, I was so amped up, a couple months ago, thinking my prehistoric iPad 3 would cut the mustard. Ha ha. It wouldn't even accept the old Pilot App.
So I had to buy a brand spanking new tablet. Or is that spanking brand new? Either way, I felt the sting. In the rear pocket.

Hey, get used to it,
It's a hobby. That's actually much like having a baby. In that you need to keep feeding it.
Here baby, have another scoop, of my money, honey.

Like everything in life we love. It will cost you something.

But it was all worth it in the end. While perhaps not, for some of the unfortunates.
Imagine the guy that has had problems with his Phantom from the very beginning.
Then he finally gets everything tuned in, App working, FirmWare up to date, and whammo. He flies into a tree.
Or worse, drowns the Phantom in the lake or deep blue ocean.

Apparently I have had it, pretty easy. ;-)
Hope it continues in that vein.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

playaz Posted at 2015-8-26 05:48
Are there any differences between IOS and ADROID app ? Is one better and more reliable than other, b ...

i have used many droids and one ios device iphone6+. in my experience ios by far is a better choice
2015-8-25
Use props
TIMOTHY PETERS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-26 05:40
TIMOTHY PETERS, neither of the devices you mentioned have a fast enough processor.

Right, I know. Just wanted to let the OP know that the Apple app store won't install DJI Go if you do not have the correct HW. Sorry, if I did not make that clear.

That is why I am upgrading my iPhone soon
2015-8-25
Use props
deanO Aussie
lvl.2
New Zealand

I have an iPad mini 3 and it works just fine, in fact much better than my Samsung S6.  I started using the S6 and found the ipad much quicker and did not lose contact with the p3p as often in the air.  I can get better range (transmission) from my ipad as well, and it's a lot easier to watch the screen with less lag.
2015-8-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I bought an iPad Air 2 16GB WiFi and 4G from an on-line pawn shop. Got an excellent price and it was in first class condition. So you don't HAVE to spend top money to get the best device.
2015-8-25
Use props
sgrol
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73442 ft
United States

Ok, so what has changed? I have an iPad 3 and the GO app loaded fine. Don't have a phantom yet so don't know if it will work or not. But the app sure does work.
2016-1-30
Use props
tony.bull7
New

United Kingdom

Hi all,I have iPad Air 64gb and I pad mini 32gb both of them will let me take pics and vids no problem but won't let me edit vids any ideas please.i have phantom 3 standard
2016-1-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

tony.bull7 Posted at 2016-1-31 19:37
Hi all,I have iPad Air 64gb and I pad mini 32gb both of them will let me take pics and vids no probl ...

The real copies of the video clips and still shots are on the SD card in the aircraft. In the case of the standard, it is plugged into the camera itself. The ones on your tablet are low resolution copies. If you want the best quality, remove the SD card and copy them onto your computer for editing.
2016-1-31
Use props
Tautvilas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145709 ft
Lithuania

As ipad pro has hit the market it would be awesome to use it as a flight monitor. Too bad original holder is suitable for ipad mini sized tablets only
2016-1-31
Use props
Jason367
lvl.1
Australia

to be plain and simple, I am about to make a thread with the current devices I have tried, and ipad 3rd gen will not work.
2016-1-31
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

UPDATE - and somewhat off-topic!

I finally broke down and bought an iPad mini 4. Works like a champ. My old, 2nd generation iPad gave up the ghost. Couldn't make it recharge. That was an oldie-goldie with 64GB and cost an arm and a leg originally. My wife's iPad (also 2nd gen) would cut off unexpectedly.

My wife visited one of the local mom & pop computer stores (where we do 99% of all our PC biz) and they repaired both of them for $50 each! The tech did a total reload of mine and I was back in business. All I had to do was reload a couple of apps and it was almost as if it was brand new.

That made me feel better about buying the iPad Mini 4 - particularly because I bought it specifically for my Phantom.

The old, 2nd gen iPad will NOT work with the Phantom and besides, it's too big to fit in the holder.

Got so many tablets here now I feel like a dealer!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2016-1-31
Use props
tony.bull7
New

United Kingdom

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2016-1-31 12:36
UPDATE - and somewhat off-topic!

I finally broke down and bought an iPad mini 4. Works like a champ ...

Hi you say your iPad 4 works fine cand you. Edit your vids on it to
2016-2-1
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

tony.bull7 Posted at 2016-2-1 13:52
Hi you say your iPad 4 works fine cand you. Edit your vids on it to

I'm not sure what you're asking me. I do NOT edit videos on my iPad. The quality of what shows up on your tablet will be nowhere near the quality you'll get from your SD card.

For editing, I copy/capture data from the micro SD card (the one that is normally in the gimbal) and edit that file.

Hope that helps.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2016-2-3
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-25 17:09
i second that opinion. now step back phantomhelp.com and lets see all the droid users throwing roc ...

Good morning Ray. I throw my vote into the same hat. I've used my Phantom with both Android and iOS devices. As to whether DJI "...pays more attention..." to keeping things up to date with the iOS devices - I'm pretty neutral on that. But, my personal experience has been much more favorable with an iOS device - in my case, an iPad Mini 4.

Once upon a time I sold a bunch of astronomy equipment so I could get back into amateur radio. Now I've got so much "drone stuff" that it looks like decision time is coming around the corner again!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2016-2-3
Use props
YblPzGewA4qI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29288 ft
United States

I have a iPad 3rd gen.  And DJI go load.eld up fine.  And it works!  But my controller won't connect to it.  I have been trying to get it to work for two days. FInally loaded it on my phone and it works fine,  but I'm having a problem seeing the tiny icons and it's hard to get the right ones touched right.  If you have overcome this problem please let us in on it.  oh,  the ones who fixed it aren't hear any more
2016-9-29
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

I use an iPad Air (A1474) with my P3P and it works fine... My only complaint is that it's really not bright enough on sunny days. Like really terrible, lol.
2016-9-30
Use props
djiuser_MUkTPHhBIjx3
New

United States

Does dji go4 work on ipad 3?
2019-3-14
Use props
djiuser_hP3IfBZpTIKD
lvl.1

United Kingdom

playaz Posted at 2015-8-25 11:31
No as I don't have the Phantom yet and I'd like to know if I will be able to use my iPad or not... kinda sucks buying new ipad just for the phantom to fly.

No it does not work because ipad 3rd generation last update is 9.5.3 while dji app fly supports 11 and above . And you can check that when you go on your ipad to app store and try to download the dji fly app it will not allow you .
2021-10-7
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Why are you replying to a FIVE YEAR OLD post???
2021-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules