Any tips for landing…turning off motors
8841 18 2015-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chuck1906
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3574003 ft
United States

I just got my Phantom 3P last week and all of my flights have been successful. I am having just a tad bit of trouble with the landing. I can bring it down to the ground with no problem, its shutting down the motors I find a challenge. The last few flights when I attempted to shut down the motors, the Phantom was trying to start them back up and even attempted to jump back up in the air. I am holding the joysticks in the manner the manual shows to shut down the engines but for some reason it takes me 2 or 3 attempts to fully turn off the motors. Any advice or suggestions I can try to make it easier to shut down the motors when I am done flying?

Thanks!
Chuck
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

once landed pull throttle all the way down and it will shut off. dont do a csc as it could flip over if not done correctly
2015-8-25
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

So I am not sure which page in the manual you are referring to shut the engines down..  With the remote, there are basically two ways that I am aware of shutting them down.

The first is in the same way you "armed" the motors (i.e. turned them on), both sticks down and in.  The second is to just continue to hold the stick down (as to which stick is dependent on which mode you are in, for me I am always in Mode 2, so the left stick) after the quad lands.

I tried the first approach one time, and had the quad "jump" as I did so...   Ever since then, I have always done the second approach.  Seems to be safer and logical approach to shut the motors down.  As my brain works of course..
2015-8-25
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chuck, Check out method 2 at P3 Wiki
As you are landing, simply keep pulling and hold the throttle down. The motors will stop after three seconds once the P3 has landed.
2015-8-25
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

heyandy Posted at 2015-8-26 11:31
So I am not sure which page in the manual you are referring to shut the engines down..  With the rem ...

Page 46 of the manual under the section titled Starting and Stopping the Motors
2015-8-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There is only one way to shut down the Phantom 3 motors safely.
Pull the left stick down and hold it for three or so seconds. The motors will turn off.
Then you can kill the Phantom battery, I mean turn the Phantom 3 off. ;-)
Some of you take things quite literally, when we only meant it figurative.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-25
Use props
sprawl
lvl.2

Finland

I was having same problem when i take my first flights. Always flip over, and then somebody tells me about that left stick landing. Then over 40 succesfull landings. Or you can tell with your phone/tablet "auto land" and then copter landind automatically right there.
2015-8-25
Use props
radius
lvl.2

Indonesia

sprawl Posted at 2015-8-26 15:39
I was having same problem when i take my first flights. Always flip over, and then somebody tells me ...

"and then somebody tells me about that right stick landing"
did you mean left stick landing?
or you are in mode 1?
2015-8-26
Use props
sprawl
lvl.2

Finland

Sorry, i mean left stick
2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

radius Posted at 2015-8-26 19:27
"and then somebody tells me about that right stick landing"
did you mean left stick landing?
or yo ...

that is why you never say left or right stick, as there are different rc modes. the throttle stick, down for 3 secs after p3 has landed
2015-8-26
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Montenegro

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-26 09:12
There is only one way to shut down the Phantom 3 motors safely.
Pull the left stick down and hold it ...

Hmmm I was just pointing my Magnum .45cal at my battery to kill it.;)
2015-8-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hahaha, you should use a 30.06 and blow it to the Heavens.., ;-)

No, Please baby those intelligent flight batteries, and they will take care of you... Hahaha

Funny characters...

RedHotPoker
2015-8-26
Use props
radius
lvl.2

Indonesia

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-26 22:38
that is why you never say left or right stick, as there are different rc modes. the throttle stick ...

yes agreed. better says that way.
2015-8-26
Use props
Chuck1906
lvl.2
United States

You know what, I was pulling both sticks down and in and maybe that is what was causing it to jump back up in the air possibly? Today I will just bring the throttle stick down and hold it in that position for 3 seconds and see if they shut off  without jumping back up in the air.

Thanks a bunch!
2015-8-27
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.2

United States

Down left stick until it lands then hold full down left stick until the motors stop. No right stick input needed.
2015-8-27
Use props
Chuck1906
lvl.2
United States

Thanks everyone, I pulled down the left stick yesterday after I was done flying and the motors turned off quickly this time!
2015-8-28
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

Once trying to land over an uneven terrain, I just let my P3 standard hover mid air and graded the landing gear.  I had done this before, but this time, the drone was tilted.  It turned out that I cannot shut the motor by locking the left stick in down position.  I then realized that the drone was trying to get itself levelled, before stopping the motor...

So in your case, it might also caused by uneven ground.
2015-8-28
Use props
AirHead
New

Australia

I am at about 30 successful flights now. I have never landed my Phantom 3 Pro on the ground. I always fly in to about 6 feet (2 meters) in front of me and a little higher than my head. I make sure it is stable, then step closer and reach out and up to grab on to the right side landing strut. then using my left hand, I push the throttle stick (I am in default mode so this is the left stick for me) all the way down and hold until the engines stop.

For me, this is the best way as I do NOT like the small particulate that can fly up and scratch the props if landing on the ground.

While this may not be for everyone, I like this as it stops the backwash / sand blast that can happen as you near the ground.

AirHead
2015-8-29
Use props
helifreak
New

United States

Yeah, landing not going so well. Had several flips on first day trying to land using the sticks-down-and-in combination. After some practice got the motors to start spinning down, but then they would start spinning back up again. The self landing works, if you trust that will work in all situations. Also discovered the hold left stick down (mode 2) for long enough and it will shut down (with dust flying around as well). There seems to be a hint in the user manual that is not in the quick start guide that you have to hold the left stick down all the way before trying the stick combination. Very frustrating.
2015-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules