Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Squirrel Watch in Close-up
12Next >
1869 70 2023-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I felt blessed, today, to encounter this baby squirrel basking in the sunshine and foraging in the Torrs, near my home.
Squirrels are notoriously skittish when encountering humans, but no-one had told this baby.
It was completely unfazed by my approach.
I was never more relieved to have the DJI Action2 in my pocket. What a stroke of luck!

2023-5-24
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Another cutie!
2023-5-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Depp. It was the highlight of my day  
2023-5-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Was that a red squirrel too?
2023-5-25
Use props
Jonboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 436152 ft
United Kingdom

marvelous enjoyed that vid m8
2023-5-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amazing close up footage Mr. B.    Most fortunate that you had the Pocket 2 with you and ready to film.  I have so many squirrels on my property but I've never been able to get up close to any as you did.  Like you said, they are way to skittish, except this one.   
2023-5-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-25 02:46
Amazing close up footage Mr. B.    Most fortunate that you had the Pocket 2 with you and ready to film.  I have so many squirrels on my property but I've never been able to get up close to any as you did.  Like you said, they are way to skittish, except this one.

I couldn't believe it didn't flee as I approached. It disregarded me completely. Lucky me.
2023-5-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 5-25 03:37
I couldn't believe it didn't flee as I approached. It disregarded me completely. Lucky me.

At first I was thinking it was sick or diseased but after watching the entire video I was like it had to be because it was very young and just didn't have the fear of humans (yet).  You were in the right place at exactly the right time.  Impeccable timing and maybe a bit of luck thrown in.
2023-5-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-25 03:40
At first I was thinking it was sick or diseased but after watching the entire video I was like it had to be because it was very young and just didn't have the fear of humans (yet).  You were in the right place at exactly the right time.  Impeccable timing and maybe a bit of luck thrown in.

I must admit, my first thought was "Is it injured?".  I wondered if a dog off the leash might have caught and released it.   Or had it fallen from a tree overhead. But it seemed to be functioning normally and had no sign of damage. Eventually it wandered away into the undergrowth and I lost sight of it.
2023-5-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-25 00:53
Was that a red squirrel too?

No, a baby grey.  They have a brownish tinge, even the adults, around here.
2023-5-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jonboy Posted at 5-25 01:50
marvelous enjoyed that vid m8

Thanks. I couldn't believe how little mind it paid to me - I could have picked it up, I was so close. Not that i was about to, of course.
2023-5-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 5-25 03:51
I must admit, my first thought was "Is it injured?".  I wondered if a dog off the leash might have caught and released it.   Or had it fallen from a tree overhead. But it seemed to be functioning normally and had no sign of damage. Eventually it wandered away into the undergrowth and I lost sight of it.

Who knows, you may once again come upon that squirrel on a future day.  
2023-5-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-25 11:15
Who knows, you may once again come upon that squirrel on a future day.

Well I pass that way a couple of times a week, so you never know
2023-5-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 5-25 11:17
Well I pass that way a couple of times a week, so you never know

Maybe you need to drop off some nuts on occasion and see if you can bait him to appear again.  Nah, just kidding.  It needs to be a spontaneous appearance on his own or her own.
2023-5-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-25 10:55
No, a baby grey.  They have a brownish tinge, even the adults, around here.

That must have been quite young then,  all the small ones Ive seen have been grey.   I will have to look out  for them.

We had fun watching the goslings yesterday,  they are currently exploring everywhere

2023-5-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-26 00:04
That must have been quite young then,  all the small ones Ive seen have been grey.   I will have to look out  for them.

Aw. Cute aren't they
2023-5-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-26 01:15
Aw. Cute aren't they

They are growing up rapidly,.  doubled in size in about a week Id say.
2023-5-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-26 02:44
They are growing up rapidly,.  doubled in size in about a week Id say.

Oven-ready in another month or so  
2023-5-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-26 07:37
Oven-ready in another month or so

Funnily enough I was googling how to tell the male from the female and I came up with lots of cooking instructions.
2023-5-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-27 00:18
Funnily enough I was googling how to tell the male from the female and I came up with lots of cooking instructions.

The trouble with cooking goose is the enormous amount of grease released. Makes a real mess of the oven if you're not careful.  We only did it once, about five years ago.  Never again!
2023-5-27
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I reckon the squirrel can spot a soft touch Blériot. Next time it'll expect treats.
2023-5-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sky wombat Posted at 5-27 19:48
I reckon the squirrel can spot a soft touch Blériot. Next time it'll expect treats.

It was strange though - it seemed completely unaware of me. Normally, they're off up a tree at top speed when anyone appears.
2023-5-27
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 5-27 22:24
It was strange though - it seemed completely unaware of me. Normally, they're off up a tree at top speed when anyone appears.

Don't think they're trying to tell you something by any chance
2023-5-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sky wombat Posted at 5-27 22:27
Don't think they're trying to tell you something by any chance

2023-5-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-27 00:30
The trouble with cooking goose is the enormous amount of grease released. Makes a real mess of the oven if you're not careful.  We only did it once, about five years ago.  Never again!

We've booked goose a few times,   usually on a rack to let the grease escape.  The recipes I found were specific to Canadian goose.   
2023-5-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-28 00:07
We've booked goose a few times,   usually on a rack to let the grease escape.  The recipes I found were specific to Canadian goose.

Ours was the domestic white-feathered variety.
2023-5-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-28 00:24
Ours was the domestic white-feathered variety.

Same here,   I wasn't even aware that there were recipes for them,  but then there are so many of them in  the Thames these days it would be a good source of meat.   
2023-5-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-28 22:20
Same here,   I wasn't even aware that there were recipes for them,  but then there are so many of them in  the Thames these days it would be a good source of meat.

Some species should maybe be culled occasionally - like feral pigeons, and grey squirrels.
2023-5-29
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I'm envious of you guys getting such close and detailed shots of those cute creatures! Wish I had such a great luck with spotting similar things with the Pocket 2 at hand. I think those shots should count as at least two challenge victories

The closest I've managed was the bunny that accidentally run to the background of my video when I was making a video application for a job and a deer that happened to stand on the road for a while when I was travelling in a car with my parents. But those weren't especially close or detailed videos.

Thanks for sharing, I hope you meet them again!
2023-5-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-29 13:16
I'm envious of you guys getting such close and detailed shots of those cute creatures! Wish I had such a great luck with spotting similar things with the Pocket 2 at hand. I think those shots should count as at least two challenge victories

The closest I've managed was the bunny that accidentally run to the background of my video when I was making a video application for a job and a deer that happened to stand on the road for a while when I was travelling in a car with my parents. But those weren't especially close or detailed videos.

Hello mate.  Luck plays a part, of course. And having the Pocket 2 or Action 2 to hand helps as well.
2023-5-29
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 5-29 13:19
Hello mate.  Luck plays a part, of course. And having the Pocket 2 or Action 2 to hand helps as well.

Hello to you too And what you said about the luck certainly applies here. Unfortunately, on some occasions I could do with more of that.

For instance, this morning I went to get my bicycle from service by walking, as was agreed upon with the shop that made the service. However, upon arrival, the customer service representative told me that the service person had to leave to see a doctor and had not finished my bike, and told me to call tomorrow again. Being a bit disappointed, I went back home. Yet, literally the moment I had stepped into my home, the customer service person called me back and told me to come back to get my bike, as the only thing left before returning the bike was to apply some air to the tires. So my morning walk became three times longer than it was supposed to, and partially for nothing.
2023-5-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-29 13:37
Hello to you too  And what you said about the luck certainly applies here. Unfortunately, on some occasions I could do with more of that.

For instance, this morning I went to get my bicycle from service by walking, as was agreed upon with the shop that made the service. However, upon arrival, the customer service representative told me that the service person had to leave to see a doctor and had not finished my bike, and told me to call tomorrow again. Being a bit disappointed, I went back home. Yet, literally the moment I had stepped into my home, the customer service person called me back and told me to come back to get my bike, as the only thing left before returning the bike was to apply some air to the tires. So my morning walk became three times longer than it was supposed to, and partially for nothing.

That's annoying - but look on the bright side. All the extra calories you burned by walking further mean you could have an extra cake with your coffee
2023-5-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-29 09:50
Some species should maybe be culled occasionally - like feral pigeons, and grey squirrels.

SHMBOd wouldn't disagree,  a squirell has been digging up all the plants shes put in recently,  and they are repeat offenders.  
2023-5-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 23:48
SHMBOd wouldn't disagree,  a squirell has been digging up all the plants shes put in recently,  and they are repeat offenders.

Maybe you need a repeater rifle to deal with 'em
2023-5-29
Use props
enikdem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 898520 ft
Greece

Beautiful little creature!
2023-5-30
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 5-29 21:50
That's annoying - but look on the bright side. All the extra calories you burned by walking further mean you could have an extra cake with your coffee

True, but I don't eat cake that often and I'm even less keen on coffee (yes, amazing but true: not everybody in Finland drinks coffee, though generally speaking, it has a similar meaning to Finns as tea has to Brits ). But well, I guess the extra walk wasn't bad for my fitness
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

enikdem Posted at 5-30 04:44
Beautiful little creature!

Wasn't it though    A chance encounter.
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-30 04:54
True, but I don't eat cake that often and I'm even less keen on coffee (yes, amazing but true: not everybody in Finland drinks coffee, though generally speaking, it has a similar meaning to Finns as tea has to Brits  ). But well, I guess the extra walk wasn't bad for my fitness

I never drink tea - so maybe I'm not a real Brit
2023-5-30
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 5-30 05:06
I never drink tea - so maybe I'm not a real Brit

Glad to know I'm not the only "outsider" among the drink culture of their nation
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-30 05:09
Glad to know I'm not the only "outsider" among the drink culture of their nation

I lived too long in France to drink anything but coffee
2023-5-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules