Dji's claim to HDR doesnt show up in actual footage-Test image in...
808 5 2023-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

In past to my earlier post HDR mode is a joke on Mini 3 pro Dji Paladin told that "DJI Mini 3 Pro uses DCG HDR technology" which extends dynamic range by combining the dark & light exposed footage & after watching several youtubers video I get to know that this so called HDR is limited to 8bits & only available in 24/25/30fps.

So Anything above 30fps technically should have less dynamic range hence I tested to see this claim & I cannot find any difference.

Here are the screen shots of each mode. I locked the exposure on the building & set to -1Ev

Shot this on 30fps with exposure locked

Shot this on 30fps with exposure locked

Shot this on 60fps with exposure locked, this shows same shadow & highlight deatils

Shot this on 60fps with exposure locked, this shows same shadow & highlight deatils

D-Cinelike 10 bit 60fps has the best option to get most dynamic range during color grading.

D-Cinelike 10 bit 60fps has the best option to get most dynamic range during color grading.
2023-6-1
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

I also never noticed any benefits from the HDR mode. I might be using it wrong. I don't know if it only works in auto mode or not. Mini 3 Pro has dual native ISO (100 and 800 I think) so it might need much larger range to kick in. Can anyone from DJI confirm this?
2023-6-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out.  According to India's Import Policy, Drones are 'prohibited' except for R&D and defense use. There are no DJI Authorized Retail Stores in India to sell drones. Simple consultations are available but aftersales repair service cannot be provided. Hope for your understanding and patience.

Yes, the DJI Mini 3 Pro uses DCG HDR technology, which is different from standard HDR (stack technology). DCG HDR is an HDR technology for CMOS, which can capture details in dark parts without losing details in highlights, thus generating multi-exposure fusion video. This video has a higher dynamic range compared with ordinary video, but the generated file is not standard HDR footage. So after being imported into the color correction software, there are no obvious visual differences between the HDR video of DJI Mini 3 Pro and a high frame rate video with the same specification. You can adjust the exposure curve to see the differences in the dark part details.
2023-6-2
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

It would great if the range of the bracketed exposures was increased.
The +.3 -and -.3 increments are a waste of time. An option for +.5 -.5 & +1 -1 and beyond would be more useful.
2023-6-2
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-2 00:46
Yes, the DJI Mini 3 Pro uses DCG HDR technology, which is different from standard HDR (stack technology). DCG HDR is an HDR technology for CMOS, which can capture details in dark parts without losing details in highlights, thus generating multi-exposure fusion video. This video has a higher dynamic range compared with ordinary video, but the generated file is not standard HDR footage. So after being imported into the color correction software, there are no obvious visual differences between the HDR video of DJI Mini 3 Pro and a high frame rate video with the same specification. You can adjust the exposure curve to see the differences in the dark part details.

Dji Paladin,
Based on your past replies the so called HDR video (when shot in 24/25/30fps HQ mode) is not showing any such difference in dynamic range when compared with 48/50/60fps video.

So my question is what is the HQ mode doing internally which is giving better quality video while adjusting exposure curve? (Mainly lifting the shadows up)
Is it higher bit rate, or better noise reduction in HQ videos?

I did another test of extreme highlight & shadows then lifted the shadows way up than I usually would lift up. There is minor difference & looks like HQ is doing some greater noise reduction. Dynamic range no difference.

Conclusion - There is NO HDR in mini 3 pro, whatever it is doing is not standard HDR HLG profile.

shot on 30fps HQ then lifted shadows by 2 stops

shot on 30fps HQ then lifted shadows by 2 stops

shot on 60fps then lifted shadows by 2 stops

shot on 60fps then lifted shadows by 2 stops
2023-6-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Ranjan Posted at 6-20 00:53
Dji Paladin,
Based on your past replies the so called HDR video (when shot in 24/25/30fps HQ mode) is not showing any such difference in dynamic range when compared with 48/50/60fps video.

Thank you for your feedback. We will coordinate this with our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules