Does Tello require registration/exam in Finland?
1072 13 2023-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Not sure what would have been the correct category to ask this question, as I couldn't find the exact from the list, so sorry if this ended up in the wrong place.

Also, this question is mostly meant for Finnish people, as they might have the best knowledge about the subject, but anybody who has the answers can reply.

I have been toying around with the idea of getting myself a Ryze Tello. I know the camera or filght time aren't the best around, but it's cheap and I've heard it's a very beginner-friendly model.

I've just been wondering about the drone regulations and requirements for the pilots, and have been thinking if I need to register the Tello and/or complete the flying exam successfully in order to use it in case I end up getting one.

So does any Finn (or why not any other person knowing about the Finnish legislation about this) know if Tello needs those, or if it's classified as a toy that doesn't require these steps?

Thanks in advance for all the replies and help!

2023-6-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello there, Captain. Thank you for reaching out. You may contact Tello support directly at this link https://www.ryzerobotics.com/support for them to help you further with your concern. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-6-4
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

By going to the official dedicated site you will find all the answers (official too) to your questions.

https://www.droneinfo.fi/en/operations-open-category
2023-6-4
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-4 21:43
Hello there, Captain. Thank you for reaching out. You may contact Tello support directly at this link https://www.ryzerobotics.com/support for them to help you further with your concern. Thank you for your understanding and support.

xg2dr.jpg
2023-6-4
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

LV_Forestry Posted at 6-4 22:43
By going to the official dedicated site you will find all the answers (official too) to your questions.

https://www.droneinfo.fi/en/operations-open-category

Thanks for that link. I did check it out but it did leave a couple of questions still open. For instance, is Tello classified as a toy or a "real" drone? And do I need to complete the exam? It certainly weighs less than the 250g limit, but could the camera complicate things?

Anyhow, through that site, I could possibly find a contact who could possibly answer the questions, so thanks for the link anyway
2023-6-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Pretty apt picture
2023-6-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

HGDC84 Posted at 6-5 06:53
Thanks for that link. I did check it out but it did leave a couple of questions still open. For instance, is Tello classified as a toy or a "real" drone? And do I need to complete the exam? It certainly weighs less than the 250g limit, but could the camera complicate things?

Anyhow, through that site, I could possibly find a contact who could possibly answer the questions, so thanks for the link anyway

I have no concrete idea of whether it is a toy or not.
For me, a toy drone is a multirotor or birotor... with an infra red RC that cannot be used outside. What I understand is that as soon as we switch to 2.4Ghz with sensors, it's no longer a toy. The law is not very specific on this subject. If anyone has more details, I'm all ears.

On the other hand, as you mention it there is a camera.
So let's assume it's not classed as a toy for that reason. It falls into the less than 250g category, equipped with a camera having the ability to transmit video in real time.
Which, under the law published by EASA, requires you to be registered as an operator, but does not require you to take the A1/A3 online exam.

I still recommend that you take the exam if you have the time. It's free, not too complicated, and in case of control no need to prevaricate with the policeman in case he will have stopped at: flying a drone = A1/A3 exam.
2023-6-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

HGDC84 Posted at 6-5 06:53
Pretty apt picture

I'm having a hard time understanding their logic. I've already taken two warnings for this, but let's go for a third.
They act like bots and are incompetent in certain areas.

The drone law in Europe is the perfect example. Suddenly they will reinvent the laws, suddenly they will send you to an inappropriate site. The one that often comes out is that of the Swiss confederation, maybe the mods have only a vague idea of the geography of Europe and think that if Switzerland is roughly in the center, it must be the state of reference.

I once sent him the link to the EASA site, pointing out to him that it is better to send users there. He did it once, and forgot it. Bot Attitude, or of a guy who doesn't give a damn.

And sometimes they send you an answer that is completely off the mark.
DJI Paladin's answer above is one. It looks like a bot that recognizes keywords and formulates a ready-made sentence by replacing the objects of the keywords.
Very disappointing.
2023-6-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

LV_Forestry Posted at 6-5 10:20
I have no concrete idea of whether it is a toy or not.
For me, a toy drone is a multirotor or birotor... with an infra red RC that cannot be used outside. What I understand is that as soon as we switch to 2.4Ghz with sensors, it's no longer a toy. The law is not very specific on this subject. If anyone has more details, I'm all ears.

I didn't know the exam is free, I thought that would involve an additional cost. Thanks for that piece of information!
2023-6-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

HGDC84 Posted at 6-5 10:29
I didn't know the exam is free, I thought that would involve an additional cost. Thanks for that piece of information!

It should be like here. There is a fee (5euros) for registration. Then the online exam is free.
On the French website its full free. Reg+exam.

Connexion | AlphaTango (aviation-civile.gouv.fr)

2023-6-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

LV_Forestry Posted at 6-5 10:29
I'm having a hard time understanding their logic. I've already taken two warnings for this, but let's go for a third.
They act like bots and are incompetent in certain areas.

The communication is sometimes less than perfect and inadequate, but other times, they do just fine. Depends on the situation. On the other hand, it is good to remember that nobody's perfect (either a human or a bot )

Anyhow, thank you for your replies and have a good one!
2023-6-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

LV_Forestry Posted at 6-5 10:34
It should be like here. There is a fee (5euros) for registration. Then the online exam is free.
On the French website its full free. Reg+exam.

That wouldn't sound bad. Though I suspect the Finnish bureaucracy will find a way to make it harder and more expensive
2023-6-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

2.JPG

Even Microsoft Bing bot is giving better answers
2023-6-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain