629 17 2023-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone else experiencing sudden altitude drops? I've had it happen a good amount of the time.  Here is an example.

In 10 seconds the drone drops from 103 feet to 51 feet without touching the stick.
5:23 to 5:33.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5HDZHH4OFZPSG7OF1WD6

2023-6-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see that. Sudden downdraft? Any unsettled weather in the area? Looks like the remote lost control for a while. Maybe intermitent motor failure or prop damage? Our best analyists will be along to help more than I can.
I have never seen anything like that with my standard M3.

Just as an excercise, manually turn all 4 motor props. Does any have some resistance?

2023-6-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Seems that this one is giving you issues Brian, maybe just get it replaced at the dealer
2023-6-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Has anyone looked at the battery currents? 24A in several places, that's quite a draw.
2023-6-4
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-4 20:38
I see that. Sudden downdraft? Any unsettled weather in the area? Looks like the remote lost control for a while. Maybe intermitent motor failure or prop damage? Our best analyists will be along to help more than I can.
I have never seen anything like that with my standard M3.

It's happening a lot and weather is fine. So are the props.
2023-6-4
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 6-4 20:50
Seems that this one is giving you issues Brian, maybe just get it replaced at the dealer

Yeah that's an option but I hate having to do that. I have to return one before they send another then I'm without the drone etc. Also, like the timelapse issue others are having so I doubt it's the bird.  Past experience tells me the replacement will do the same thing.
2023-6-4
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-4 21:41
Has anyone looked at the battery currents? 24A in several places, that's quite a draw.

Never an issue on the M3..same batteries..
2023-6-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

That would concern me a lot.  That is a lot of $ in the air dropping altitude at will.  I think I would do some more testing over land and make a determination if it needs to go in for service or not.  
2023-6-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

BrianKushner Posted at 6-4 22:25
Yeah that's an option but I hate having to do that. I have to return one before they send another then I'm without the drone etc. Also, like the timelapse issue others are having so I doubt it's the bird.  Past experience tells me the replacement will do the same thing.

Mine seems to fly rock steady hence maybe it could be faulty. I know you have done the IMU calibration etc so it the bird is still doing that send it in for a replacement
2023-6-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, BrianKushner. Thank you for reaching out. Please try the following troubleshooting steps below for this issue:

• Please check whether the flight environment is in a high altitude area. The higher the attitude, and thinner the air. Thin air will affect the aircraft’s propulsion, resulting in propulsion overload, sudden descent when hovering, unstable flight, etc. Please refer to the Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level on the official DJI website. After repeated tests, we have determined a safe flight altitude range for the aircraft.
• Check whether the propeller is in good condition.
• It is recommended to calibrate IMU.
• Ensure that there is not installed a third-party payload, such as a third-party propeller guard, landing gear, etc.
• Kindly provide us with the recorded video or the flight records to confirm the aircraft’s sudden descent when hovering.
• Please provide the flight controller data for further checking.

For Flight Controller Data Export:
Step I: Please connect the aircraft to a computer with a USB-C cable. Launch DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series). You may download it from this link: (https://www.dji.com/downloads/so ... sumer-drones-series). Tap the Aircraft icon.
Step II: Go to the Product Page. Select “Log Export” on the left menu. Then, select the required time point data and finally select “Save to Local”.
Step III: After “Download Complete” appears, it indicates that the data has been saved locally.
Step IV: Then save the .DAT file format.

Please keeps us posted. Thank you.
2023-6-6
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It's not high altitude. 23 feet above sea level. As I mentioned I've flown 10 of your drone in this area daily with no issues.
2023-6-6
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

What does it mean:

"Remote controller in high interference environment. Manually adjust flight route or return to home (CODE: 80014).; RC Signal Interference."

At 5,27.7...
2023-6-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 6-6 12:09
What does it mean:

"Remote controller in high interference environment. Manually adjust flight route or return to home (CODE: 80014).; RC Signal Interference."

It means the remote is issuing commands and being without confirmation. Maybe check the remote for a problem.
2023-6-8
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-8 21:45
It means the remote is issuing commands and being without confirmation. Maybe check the remote for a problem.

So why are you surprised of the sudden altitude drop then?

There are several warnings like that in the log...

I don't get it?
2023-6-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Brian,

Did you actually saw your drone loosing height or just noticed this drop looking at data ?

In Sport mode, rapid RC fdw/aft inputs DJI drones do have some problem with keeping height steady.
RC fwd stick stick from full fwd to zero input, drone rapid from pitch down to pitch up, followed shortly by full stick fwd and stop again.See my chart of your data.
The airflow, thus pressure, in and around the craft is not steady at rapid up down pitching, so the indicating baro height does not always represent the actual flying height.

The IR height sensor did measure few times during this baro height descent alsmost the same value.
So did it really lost (so much) height?

High power draw bc full power asking in sport mode. see chart. so imo 24 amps looks normal.

cheers
JJB   [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2023-6-10
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-10 07:25
Hi Brian,

Did you actually saw your drone loosing height or just noticed this drop looking at data ?

Yes I saw it dropping. One one other time I was flying along in Cruise Control and I noticed suddenly the ground was much closer. I checked altitude and it said 100. I took the drone out of Cruise, toggled the stick to rise up and the second I toggled the stick altitude went from 100 to 50. So it was 50 already but was reporting 100. I believe it's only happened in Sport mode now that I think about it.
2023-6-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

BrianKushner Posted at 6-10 10:20
Yes I saw it dropping. One one other time I was flying along in Cruise Control and I noticed suddenly the ground was much closer. I checked altitude and it said 100. I took the drone out of Cruise, toggled the stick to rise up and the second I toggled the stick altitude went from 100 to 50. So it was 50 already but was reporting 100. I believe it's only happened in Sport mode now that I think about it.

oke, but imo hard to tell how much it dropped.

Fly in sport mode above a solid surfcae withing IR height range and go few times from full forward to stop ect.
Check the baro height indication versus the IR height values in the log.

In sport mode with rapid picth changes (even worse pitch and yaw same time) and see height fluctuattions.

cheers
JJB
2023-6-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 6-8 23:43
So why are you surprised of the sudden altitude drop then?

There are several warnings like that in the log...

Don't blame me. I am just the messenger ;-)
2023-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules