Compass error
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmeyers
lvl.2

United States

Hi all,

Strange thing has been happening for the last two times I have flown my P3A. I have had it for about a month and half and have flown it 30 times or more, done the firmware update, battery updates, controller updates and use the new Go app all done with no issues, I use an iPad mini 2.

So the last two time I used it was in my back yard and I did a successful compass update, the first flight I did the update because the flight before was some ware other than my backyard and I always do update if I move locations. I took of and got a minute or two into the flight and got the red flashing at the top of the screen saying compass and GPS warning. I landed it, turned everything off and then did another compass calc and then everything was fine from there on. I didn't think much of it till I went back out last night a flew again, I did another compass calc before the flight because of what happen the last time and the bird did it again. It was all wobbly in the first couple of minutes, wouldn't hover right or hold position and I got the compass and GPS error. I landed, turned everything off then did another compass calc and everything was fine from then on.

Ideas? Should I worry?

BTW I really have enjoyed the bird and all the great stuff I learn in this Forum, so thanks!
2015-8-28
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Could me many many different reasons for it.. Normally when you get a compass error just after take-off, its a sign that the readings it took on the ground during caslibration and what it is then reading in the air is different so it throws a wobbly.

What you should do before each flight is check the sensor readings. The compass MOD should be between 1300 and 1600. If its outside this range then there might be an issue. I like to see mine at about 1500.

Buy all your P3 goodies direct from DJI
Spare Batteries - Charging HubCarbonPropsHDMI Module
Hardshell BackpackProp GuardsNDFilters
2015-8-28
Use props
rmeyers
lvl.2

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-28 07:54
Could me many many different reasons for it.. Normally when you get a compass error just after take- ...

Thanks, I will try that.
2015-8-28
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Montenegro

You didn't report which day you had this problem but yesterday we had a pk-index value 6. This could affect your gps. I don't know if this affect's the compass also.
2015-8-28
Use props
rmeyers
lvl.2

United States

Stealth... Posted at 2015-8-28 08:05
You didn't report which day you had this problem but yesterday we had a pk-index value 6. This could ...

It was last about 7:30PM  PST the first time was the 25th at about the same time.
2015-8-28
Use props
jwatts2344
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

rmeyers Posted at 2015-8-28 11:18
It was last about 7:30PM  PST the first time was the 25th at about the same time.

i've been having the same issues for the past week or so.

ever since i updated the firmware to v1.3.20, i've been having several issues.

the scariest issue is compass errors.

sometimes before i take off i'll get the green "Safe To Fly GPS" display. i'll start the props and a couple seconds in the air, i'll get the red "Compass Error" light!  so i'll throw it into atti mode and bring it right back down.

when this happens, the radio signal will say poor and then good and back to poor and so on!! what could be doing this?

also since the update, it takes up to 5 minutes for the aircraft to warm up when before the update it always took less than 30 seconds!

before the update i've flown about 60 successful short and long range flights but after the update, things have been going haywire!  

any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

thanks.
2015-9-5
Use props
oksxen
lvl.2

Canada

Stealth... Posted at 2015-8-28 11:05
You didn't report which day you had this problem but yesterday we had a pk-index value 6. This could ...

what is a pk-index?
2015-9-6
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Bosnia and Herzegovina

It's the index which shows solar-storm's and can interfere your gps-receiver. For the iPhone/iPad there is an app called "solar monitor". If it show's >4  I don't take-off.;)
2015-9-7
Use props
jeffreyqaunaq
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140164 ft
Canada

same issue here, it was all good until i put 1.3.2 started having the error but in the healthydrone.com check report my compass always passes in the flight record
2015-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules