123Next >
6883 84 2015-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
United States

Been having fun in California.  Met up with PureSQNut the other night who took me out to Treasure Island across the harbor from San Francisco.  We had some fun and made this video.

Some mad piloting skills by PureSQNut, I was very impressed.  I had fun operating the camera and doing the edit.

Enjoy!

Jim

2015-8-28
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

Canada

Nice stuff. Did you fly dual or single operator?

2015-8-28
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

So ... If you know what your doing ... this camera isn´t that bad after all ... ;)
2015-8-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

remltr Posted at 2015-8-28 13:53
Nice stuff. Did you fly dual or single operator?

Dual. PureSQNut flew and I operated the camera.
2015-8-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

w1der Posted at 2015-8-28 14:11
So ... If you know what your doing ... this camera isn´t that bad after all ... ;)

The camera can give great results.  Sometimes takes a bit of luck, sometimes a bit of work.

I did a bit of work in post to grade it and noise reduction.
2015-8-28
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

Great Video Jim... which i could have been there! Amazed how goo sit does in low light.
2015-8-28
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Jim,

Video looks good. Glad we had a chance to meet up and fly together. Thank you for the comments on the flight. I have to say I was VERY impressed with how well the I1 did in those winds we were getting hit by.

I will say this was the first time I was comfortable doing a dual operator shoot and felt comfortable enough to focus on the flying to take some shoots.

Guys I will say this. Communication is KEY when flying dual operator. Honestly having a pilot that understands the camera guys job and a camera guy who understands the pilots job is probably the MOST important tool to have successful results.

Jim, Anytime we can work together......  please let me know. It was a pleasure and a lot of fun.

So I didn't have the noise reduction software to eliminate some of the noise in the background but here is a slightly different take and feel of a video on the gathered material. Mainly all night shots with an different editing style, but thank you Jim for all the tips for editing. Its helping a LOT.

2015-8-28
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Wow guys, great videos!!!
I would love to go back to San Fran for a visit.
2015-8-28
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-28 16:02
Wow guys, great videos!!!
I would love to go back to San Fran for a visit.

Thank you Dave. If you ever make it here let me know. Always lookig for experienced copilots to fly with.
2015-8-28
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Jim,

I watched the videos again and had a flash back of what the definition of fear is-

still being WAY out over water on that first battery with just barely 20% left on the battery when you know everything under 15% is not guaranteed to be there when you actually need it. Thank god for tail winds.
2015-8-28
Use props
snathla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-8-28 16:51
Jim,

I watched the videos again and had a flash back of what the definition of fear is-

PureSQNut - where in the Bay Area are you, I am in the Bay Area as well, glad to hook up and take the Inspire for a spin. Let me know if you're interested
2015-8-28
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

I'm actually in Modesto but love flying out there in the bay area. Central Cali is my playground. I'll keep you in mind. Tho weekend in grounded by the wife to finish a small remaining list of honey do's before the baby comes.
2015-8-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-8-28 15:36
Jim,

Video looks good. Glad we had a chance to meet up and fly together. Thank you for the comment ...

Any time buddy.  Was a pleasure flying with you.  
Such a joy to be able to focus 100% on the visuals and leave the flying to a superior pilot.
2015-8-28
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Jim anytime? That was very much a team effort. Next time I'm heading into Australia ill have to bring the bird with me and go for a flight on that part of the world. And if they complain about any night flights ill play stupid and say sorry I didnt know. Lol
2015-8-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-8-28 20:50
Jim anytime? That was very much a team effort. Next time I'm heading into Australia ill have to brin ...

Heh, perfect, I'll even bale you out of jail!   
2015-8-29
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-29 23:01
Heh, perfect, I'll even bail you out of jail!

Man take all the fin out of it. Lol
2015-8-29
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

This was GREATE
2015-8-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-29 15:30
This was GREATE

Thanks, was fun to make!
2015-8-30
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-8-28 16:43
Thank you Dave. If you ever make it here let me know. Always lookig for experienced copilots to fly ...

Thanks! Good to know!
2015-8-30
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim,  would you mind sharing the type of noise reduction technique are you using? My one complaint I have about the camera is the huge amount of noise that gets introduced at any ISO setting above 400 and I am sure night time is even worse

Many thanks,
Houston
2015-8-30
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

Or you could come to Australia and fly with me!  
2015-8-30
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

houston Posted at 2015-8-30 17:15
Jim,  would you mind sharing the type of noise reduction technique are you using? My one complaint I ...

Hey Houston,  the best noise reduction is luckily also one of the cheapest!   Many pros around the world swear by it.   Here's a link:

https://www.neatvideo.com/index.html?gg5

Be careful to get the right version as the website is confusing and pretty terrible!
2015-8-30
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-30 21:30
Or you could come to Australia and fly with me!

That would be a dream vacation. One of these days though, I hope.
2015-8-30
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-30 22:02
That would be a dream vacation. One of these days though, I hope.

It's an amazing place and a great place to fly!
2015-8-31
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-31 00:32
Hey Houston,  the best noise reduction is luckily also one of the cheapest!   Many pros around the  ...

Jim do you prefer Neat over Resolve?

Tried out Resolve 12? The sharp / blur / NR tools seem to have gotten some upgrades.
2015-8-31
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-9-1 00:04
Jim do you prefer Neat over Resolve?

Tried out Resolve 12? The sharp / blur / NR tools seem to ha ...

I have the full version of Resolve, and do like the NR, though I think it works best on minor grain issues.  I feel like Neat does a better job with the strong, challenging noise.   

I haven't tried 12 yet so will give it a shot when I'm back in Australia next week.  
2015-8-31
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Great videos guys.  When you fly a location like that, did you get any sort of permits or approvals from the city, Coast Guard, etc.?
2015-8-31
Use props
simpleparrish
New

Sweden

kneverett Posted at 2015-9-1 05:58
Great videos guys.  When you fly a location like that, did you get any sort of permits or approvals  ...

I too am curious what permissions were in place for these flights.  Amazing footage.
2015-9-27
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

So majestic!
2015-9-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

simpleparrish@m Posted at 2015-9-28 17:14
I too am curious what permissions were in place for these flights.  Amazing footage.

Thanks!   Just followed all the guidelines, stayed out of no-fly zones, didn't fly over populated areas etc.  There are plenty of places that are still legal to fly in, just need to common sense.

I have started a discussion on regulations and compliance if you want to join in:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 7&fromuid=21263

Also, check out my extended video on the whole California trip.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 2&fromuid=21263
2015-9-28
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

@Jimhare - was this with the inspire 1 and nothing modded? Really nice video. Gives me a heads up next time and I'll grab the popcorn.  ;)
2015-9-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

ibdronin Posted at 2015-9-29 13:32
@Jimhare - was this with the inspire 1 and nothing modded? Really nice video. Gives me a heads up ne ...

Hi ibdronin,  Yep, stock standard Inspire 1.    Used a few tricks in post production to keep the image bright and noise free, but the bird was completely stock.

Check out my complete Calfornia video here -
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 2&fromuid=21263

Jim

2015-9-28
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

@Jim - Just amazing bother! Real smooth.... My wife loved it too.
2015-9-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

ibdronin Posted at 2015-9-29 16:20
@Jim - Just amazing bother! Real smooth.... My wife loved it too.

Thanks for that!   If you liked that one, check out this one!   

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=31692&fromuid=21263
2015-9-28
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

@Jim - hey the link is dead?
2015-9-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

ibdronin Posted at 2015-9-29 23:22
@Jim - hey the link is dead?

No, sorry, just didn't come out right in the post for some reason.  Here it is properly formatted -

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 31692&fromuid=21263
2015-9-29
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

@Jimhare - Wife and I both loved it! Another fine shot again. We loved the music too. Wow you travel all over. Breath taking views. How beautiful things are from above
compared to eye level.  ;)
2015-9-29
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim ,Loved the video but is that not against everything we as a group are telling people not to do .Not to fly over buildings ,people and cars .Not to fly over city's .You were on the Island ,that is a crazy distance to fly over the ferry building and the bay bridge .Also I thought the FAA did not want us flying after dusk .When you were at the bay bridge you were in a controlled area and have to report into to SFO air traffic control .I thought we had software to stop getting that close .That is one of the busiest air corridors to SFO . I used to fly that in a helicopter going to south terminal .I have often flown over the bridge in bad weather ,just over the top .They clear you to do that .There is also tour planes etc.. under 400 feet.Please do no get mad with me as I like your posts but someone should of told you what you were doing was reckless .  This is what will take us all down .
2015-9-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

ibdronin Posted at 2015-9-30 10:24
@Jimhare - Wife and I both loved it! Another fine shot again. We loved the music too. Wow you travel ...

Thanks for that, much appreciated!   
2015-9-30
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

mtnred@gmail.co Posted at 2015-9-30 10:30
Jim ,Loved the video but is that not against everything we as a group are telling people not to do . ...

I disagree with your statement and I think you're making assumptions about what we did or did not do during our flight.   All guidelines were followed and no fly zones respected.  

I have started another post to try to reach consensus about the guidelines as there is a pretty wide range of opinions about what is what.   Join in the conversation here -

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 7&fromuid=21263
2015-9-30
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules