1926 14 2015-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
motoscoddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I did a search for this (on this forum), but couldn't find it. Anyone else seen this?

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/rtmtv-hobbyist-drone-flyer-confronted-about-flying-public-field-0
2015-8-29
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

I could only see a link to jumping on a trampoline naked lol
2015-8-29
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

That guy in the car would get punched right in the throat.
2015-8-29
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It's unnecessarily confrontational on both sides.

When anyone comes up to me when I am flying, I invite them to have a look at what's on the iPad screen.  That way they are reassured and share the experience.  
2015-8-29
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

I would have have threatened to call the cops since the dude in the car was obviously harassing the pilot based only on assumptions.
2015-8-29
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

another case of un informed person: un informed as far as quads go, un informed as far as privacy in public places go.
what the guy said is what i always tell people who approach me: "what is the difference if i am using a standard video camera to be filming in public place Vs using a camera on the quad?"
not one person has been able to give me a logical answer and then they keep quiet and listen to my whole explanation of its capabilities and myths. usually that does the trick and they actually become interested to learn more, To the real ignorant ones, i tell them to leave me alone and if they believe i am committing a crime to call the police, when they hesitate i start dialing it for them.
2015-8-29
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

msjh Posted at 2015-8-29 20:28

When anyone comes up to me when I am flying, I in ...

I agree with msjh! These type of opportunities allow us to educate the political correctness and privacy advocates out there about the factual capabilities of our airborne camera and how you'd need to fly at a height of 10 ft to see anything of privacy concern. More often than not, the educated turn into knowledgeable voices instead of horse's arses....
2015-8-29
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

that guy in the car is pretty dumb
2015-8-29
Use props
FireHawk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285758 ft
United States

When people come up to me and ask if it my Drone they see in the air.  I am very friendly and ask if they want to see what the quad-copter sees.  I answer their questions and have yet to face a confrontation.  If I did I would invite for them to look on the screen.  Yeah there are crazy paranoid people that will believe what they want to believe and nothing will change that.  

It is our responsibility to be polite and respectful.
2015-8-29
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

FireHawk Posted at 2015-8-29 17:17
When people come up to me and ask if it my Drone they see in the air.  I am very friendly and ask if ...

Exactly.

It has the added advantage that (normally) it works.
2015-8-29
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Green vest with "Stay Back, UAV Pilot in Command"  stenciled on the back.  
2015-8-29
Use props
wnemay
lvl.1

United States

I feels like the whole Google Glass fiasco all over again.  Oh, and I proudly wear Glass while flying, so...
2015-8-29
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That video frustrated me because there were many missed opportunities by the pilot. For example, once the guy in the car started recording, the pilot should have put himself between him and the soccer game. Then asked the guy why he was capturing images of the kids in the background. Or simply said, "Why is it OK for you to record here with your phone, but I can't with my drone?"

I think the main thing we need to inform these people of is that the cameras on our drones DO NOT have a zoom. Like terrylewis mentioned above, we would need to fly at 10 feet to get any "pervert" images. And flying that close to anyone would DEFINITELY be offensive (and not at all stealthy).
2015-8-29
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

msjh Posted at 2015-8-29 20:28

When anyone comes up to me when I am flying, I in ...

You hit the nail it on the head! Couldn't have said it better myself!  It is our job to inform these individuals in a nonconfrontational way.  The media has made a mess of this hobby, because they mostly only report the bad and never explain the rules when they do. I think that when you do see stories from the media that are incorrect it is our job to call them up and explain to them how in accurate they are.  I have always said you get a lot more from honey do you do from vinegar.  Take any opportunity you get to educate people on this hobby versus alienate them from it and make them think it's bad.  Explain to them how it is just merely a camera and has and incredibly adjustable tripod and just because it seems to be over them it's not always pointed at them. It is just as important to explain what the rules are on public domain. If they become confrontational and think that you're still breaking the law or doing something wrong invite them to call the authorities. Don't ever take it to a physical level. It will just set us back.

-Dog
2015-8-29
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with a lot of the above, but I would have asked the guy in the car, 'okay so do you confront all the parents and others at the game who records the girls on their i phones or camcorders?., if not why are you just picking on me, what am I doing different that warrants your attention on me?'

I would have also offer him the opportunity to look at the screen to see exactly how ittle you can see of people when your 100 mts in the air, maybe he thinks we can 'zoom in' whereas we all know we cant do that.

Buzz
2015-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules