Camera settings for sunsets
15079 16 2015-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Screenbyte
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi all. Sorry if this has come up before but can anybody please tell me this best settings for a nice red sunset in near dark.
I see one tonight where I'm staying and by the time I got the P3 setup I didn't have time to get camera settings correct.

Also can I adjust the exposure compensation separately when in manual?

Thanks

2015-8-29
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Video or stills, or both ??

If you are speaking about video, my personal recommendation is to make the adjustment to as slow a shutter speed and frame rate as you can realistically manage without an ND filter.

Though many will disagree (and I know it is not exactly your question), I would give it a go in Automatic, and then simply touch the sunset on your screen while in the position aloft that you desire. Experiment a little - you may learn something you can share with us.

If you are talking about still images, I'd simply adjust it once aloft and looking at your live feed.

The the last question about exposure adjustment in manual, yes. Please take a look at controller camera settings adjustment in your DJI Guide, around page 24. And check out the World Famous and Thoroughly Clear and Helpful **Fantomas** Guide, available here in the forum. Be sure to read the entire guide (well, most of it) anyway.
2015-8-29
Use props
Screenbyte
lvl.2
United Kingdom

To be honest I've spent most of my time so far learning how to fly and not too much time in the camera settings even though I'm in to photography so I was caught out tonight.
I have one more night here and I'm hoping that tomorrow the sunset will be just as amazing somwas looking for some quick tips.
I'll download the manual and have another look through.
Thanks
2015-8-29
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Screenbyte Posted at 2015-8-30 04:42
To be honest I've spent most of my time so far learning how to fly and not too much time in the came ...

The best thing to do if you are taking stills is to experiment with the ISO settings and also the shutter speed settings. This is best done by using the actual app instead of the remote control. Meaning there is a little button on the bottom right-hand side that looks like a mixing board use that to bring up the settings of the camera and adjust the ISO and the shutter speed then use the button on the app to control the shutter itself instead of the remote control.  One thing to consider is the lower the ISO the longer the shutters speed needs to be.
Good luck and keep experimenting to you get pictures that you like.

-Dog
2015-8-29
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

A few clips that I took with settings straight out of the box

2015-8-30
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

DJI_0866 Panorama.jpg

Hi, you dont need to set anything, keep in full auto, adjust the exposure using the right wheel, then take your photo.
2015-8-30
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Another example....

DJI_0026.jpg
2015-8-30
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

liningiv Posted at 2015-8-30 11:37
Hi, you dont need to set anything, keep in full auto, adjust the exposure using the right wheel, t ...

WOW! that looks fantastic!
2015-8-30
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

In my experience wait until the sun is behind a cloud, or completely below the horizon.
If you include the sun in your picture it may blow all the colours and cloud details.  But experimentation is the way to go.
If you want to take panoramas like these you are best locking the automatic exposure or using manual exposure, so that the brightness of the sun as you include more or less of it in your picture will not affect the exposure.  Enjoy.  Where are you based Stan?
2015-8-30
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Sunsets are best when you underexpose them a tad...
2015-8-30
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-31 02:35
Sunsets are best when you underexpose them a tad...

Agreed... You could use auto settings and they will come out ok, but you can make some changes and they will come out better pre photoshop or what ever you use for post editing.   Mess with it all you have is ISO and shutter speed, unfortunately you don't get aperture with these.  It is not like your DSLR or film cameras. The most important this I found is that when you use the app to control that shutter and camera settings you have way better control.

-Dog
2015-8-30
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

liningiv Posted at 2015-8-30 17:04
In my experience wait until the sun is behind a cloud, or completely below the horizon.
If you inclu ...

Hi.  I am in Exmouth , Devon.  U.K.
2015-8-30
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

How can i set the shuttertime to 4 or 5 seconds ???

Have no Idea to do that. ISO-Setting manual 100 is clear.

Please give me some Hints.

Mike
2015-8-31
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quick snapshot taken in auto mode with a little Photoshop tuning. I do most of my settings adjustments in post, but that is only because I am better with computers than I am with cameras. If you make sure you are not over exposed in camera, most details can be recovered in post editing.

Also, this photo lost a lot of sharpness because I had to compres it in order to post. In full size it looks beautiful...
sunset copy.jpg
2015-8-31
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Jkeller84 Posted at 2015-8-31 14:26
Quick snapshot taken in auto mode with a little Photoshop tuning. I do most of my settings adjustmen ...

That is lovely J,
I'm also frustrated with having to make my files so small, as if they weren't small enough already.

I find that the .DNG file contains a lot more information than the .jpeg so if you have over exposed you can get a lot of detail back from the raw file without loss of any quality.  Are you using the .DNG ?
2015-8-31
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-8-31 09:36
That is lovely J,
I'm also frustrated with having to make my files so small, as if they weren't sm ...

Usually I do. This one got captured in jpeg :-/
2015-8-31
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

m.friedl@a1.net Posted at 2015-8-31 11:28
How can i set the shuttertime to 4 or 5 seconds ???

Have no Idea to do that. ISO-Setting manual 100 ...

Depending on light levels, you have to go to camera manual settings, select the ISO 100.
This will give the slowest shutter speed for a correctly exposed picture.
If this is too fast, then you have to use ND filters to reduce the light level reaching the sensor.
4 Seconds is a long time, and you will probalby be taking picture at night before this is possible.
Good luck.

Please post a 4 second shot for us to see.
2015-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules