Is it possible to mix internal and external mics?
993 23 2023-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drummer_codes
lvl.2
Cyprus

Hello!

I use my DJI Action 3 for motovlogging as a helmet camera.
I like the sound of DJI's internal mics to record the streets and the engine of the bike. It sounds good with my handmade windshield. But it struggles to pick up my talking voice whie riding. While stationary it's more than fine, but not on the go.

The question is: is is possible to connect an external microphone and record both internal and external mics and mix them together with the camera itself? I know that I can record the audio separately, but I'm trying to avoid editing the videos at all, ideally I need to upload DJI footage to YouTube without ever re-encoding it.
2023-7-28
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

yt: motovlogging

Rhönschrat

Andreas Dück

DJI. mic. 1rx 2tx with cheap lavallier mic for the helmet

I prefer the Ulanzi cold shoe for the receiver connect with a cable to the usb port.
protect the receiver display with a gorilla glas,
IMG_20230728_173355.jpg
IMG_20230728_173445.jpg
2023-7-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

IMHO:  When you plug  any external USB  to the port, you disable the Internal Mic. To capture in & out sounds simply attach the DJI or other mic  outside, choose stereo,  , and or use the internal recording iflike .  as posted above  . the answer is no it gets disabled
2023-7-28
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

you can mix two signals with the Rode Ai Micro.

RodeReporter apk
best price in Germany  55,31€

2023-7-28
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

gain control with  eadphone cable

ask andreas dürr he has testet many solutions
IMG_20230603_072746.jpg
2023-7-28
Use props
drummer_codes
lvl.2
Cyprus

Fishycomics Posted at 7-28 07:54
IMHO:  When you plug  any external USB  to the port, you disable the Internal Mic. To capture in & out sounds simply attach the DJI or other mic  outside, choose stereo,  , and or use the internal recording iflike .  as posted above  . the answer is no it gets disabled

yeah that's a solution, but I was reeeeally hoping to still be able to use the DJI's mics, they sound so good with my windshield

thank you for answering the actual question
2023-7-28
Use props
drummer_codes
lvl.2
Cyprus

To all the guys replying with alternative solutions:

Thank you for your time and effort to help. I have already explored some of these solutions before, that's what I'm trying to avoid.
I really don't want to add the extra components to the helmet.

I guess in my case it will be easier to record the voice on my in-helmet intercom and then mix it with the video.
I will still try to avoid the manual editing so I'm thinking I will make a program that will find 'sound markers', sync the timings and mix the sound while still not re-encoding the video.
SOUNDS like fun (pun intended)
2023-7-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

drummer_codes Posted at 7-28 09:14
yeah that's a solution, but I was reeeeally hoping to still be able to use the DJI's mics, they sound so good with my windshield

thank you for answering the actual question

Well these mics are chips  thre is always a way to  solder  to them to have both  working but personally    the dji wireless mic and  dji cameras use didjiji mics, good luck and  enjoy
2023-7-28
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

#Quick Reply Here#I like your idea a lot, but unfortunately there is currently no way to record both sound sources at the same time. The only option would be to unplug the mic/adapter to have the best of both worlds, but not at the same time... I do it when it's not windy.
2023-7-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We regret to inform you that it is not possible. But I am going to take this as a suggestion and refer this to our relevant team. I'm glad that you were able to get some awesome advice from your fellow users. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-28
Use props
drummer_codes
lvl.2
Cyprus

DJI Tony Posted at 7-28 21:24
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We regret to inform you that it is not possible. But I am going to take this as a suggestion and refer this to our relevant team. I'm glad that you were able to get some awesome advice from your fellow users. Have a great day ahead.

Thank you! It would be amazing to see this implemented in the future firmware update. I am a software engineer myself at a large company and I understand how much time it will take to plan this out, allocate resources, produce etc, but either way if it ever reaches the users, it would be a very handy feature to have!
2023-7-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

drummer_codes Posted at 7-28 23:52
Thank you! It would be amazing to see this implemented in the future firmware update. I am a software engineer myself at a large company and I understand how much time it will take to plan this out, allocate resources, produce etc, but either way if it ever reaches the users, it would be a very handy feature to have!

I understand how convenient it will be if this is implemented. Rest assured I have already sent the request and this will be taken care of. I really appreciate your patience and thank you for your support.
2023-7-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-28 23:57
I understand how convenient it will be if this is implemented. Rest assured I have already sent the request and this will be taken care of. I really appreciate your patience and thank you for your support.

wil lthat be in the DJI Action 5
2023-7-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Fishycomics Posted at 7-29 02:43
wil lthat be in the DJI Action 5

Hi. Fishycomics. No information yet. I sent his request as a suggestion and need to check first by our engineering team. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-29 02:51
Hi. Fishycomics. No information yet. I sent his request as a suggestion and need to check first by our engineering team. Have a great day ahead.

thank youmaybe  down the road we will  see it no time soon
2023-7-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Fishycomics Posted at 7-29 03:28
thank youmaybe  down the road we will  see it no time soon

I'm glad to assist. I appreciate your support. Have a nice day ahead, Fishycomics.
2023-7-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-29 03:33
I'm glad to assist. I appreciate your support. Have a nice day ahead, Fishycomics.

thank you for supporting me
2023-7-29
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28937 ft
Denmark

Well, if you don't like edit, Stop recording. video, easy, sound hard work. Just saying. But if you is new to the game, you maybe don't know, multiedit, were you can merge, cut, 3-4 cams and audio files. Thats were timecodes come in handy.
2023-7-30
Use props
drummer_codes
lvl.2
Cyprus

hurtighansen1 Posted at 7-30 23:29
Well, if you don't like edit, Stop recording. video, easy, sound hard work. Just saying. But if you is new to the game, you maybe don't know, multiedit, were you can merge, cut, 3-4 cams and audio files. Thats were timecodes come in handy.

This is one of the most illogical things I've heard in a while. I work with a video production and I do edit the videos from time to time. But doing basic compositing for a 2 hour video every day is way too much work. Why would you ever edit something manually if it can be automated with a program I could write in 2-3 days? The questions was asked about a technical feature that is specific to my use case and my production pipeline. Suggesting not recording at all when the topic is optimizing the process is just insane.
2023-7-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Fishycomics Posted at 7-29 05:48
thank you for supporting me

You are most welcome. Have a great day.
2023-7-31
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28937 ft
Denmark

drummer_codes Posted at 7-30 23:39
This is one of the most illogical things I've heard in a while. I work with a video production and I do edit the videos from time to time. But doing basic compositing for a 2 hour video every day is way too much work. Why would you ever edit something manually if it can be automated with a program I could write in 2-3 days? The questions was asked about a technical feature that is specific to my use case and my production pipeline. Suggesting not recording at all when the topic is optimizing the process is just insane.

Sorry, but you do have everything you need to know, by reading the manual. So i do not think you are any pro, asking this.
This is an, action cam, as all action cam, sound is very limited.
I can tell you, i do film, cut down from 500gb-1tb to maybe 3-5gb of video. And i use multible of the best action cams, multi edit, and wind and weather do make sound hard. very hard. And no, i do not use, extern audio. I use the best from each cam. while edit.
2023-8-6
Use props
DavideSevilla
lvl.2
Spain

I think the best option for what you are looking for is to separately record the external mic and then mix it with your OA3 using Audition, Premiere or Davinci Resolve. You will get the best result. Also, I doubt the OA3 is set up to do real-time mixing satisfactorily, due to hardware requirements.
2023-8-6
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I wonder again if hte DJI wireless mic are  the same chip mics in the camera?  I  know if you want to tear open  a camera tap to the mic, or get a broken dji and  take the mic and wire to a 3.5mm cable and use an external system, those are   options people do if handy
2023-8-7
Use props
drummer_codes
lvl.2
Cyprus

DavideSevilla Posted at 8-6 10:29
I think the best option for what you are looking for is to separately record the external mic and then mix it with your OA3 using Audition, Premiere or Davinci Resolve. You will get the best result. Also, I doubt the OA3 is set up to do real-time mixing satisfactorily, due to hardware requirements.

for sure it will be possible if implemented in software. the camera is already mixing 3 microphones from inside the camera. USB-C mics are already digital, it won't require much processing
2023-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules