Canada flight
688 13 2023-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 269190 ft
Canada

I will be flying at a Canadian R/C site located at an airport this week.
I need to know how to tell the MiniP3 that I have approval, so it will allow flight.

I tried at a different location in Canada last week and it was on the edge of a tiny airport zone (with no traffic and down in a crevase where no airplane could go) - flight not permitted and the only option was connect to the internet to allow I think it said - but there was no internet available there.

Thanks for your helpful advice.
2023-7-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, DaveInTexas. Thank you for reaching out. Just to confirm, did you get the approval from Flysafe? Also, can you please provide the drone and RC model?
2023-7-30
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

In case anyone runs across this thread looking for unlocking answers, here is the simplified version that I wrote up as I was doing it.

To Submit an Unlock Request
Go to fly-safe.dji.com/unlock/unlock-request/list

You will need to log in.

If it's your first time for an Unlock Request, you will need to spend a few minutes entering personal info, drone SN etc.
It specifies that you must use the SN shown on the controller (it says in the "App").  My controller and drone have the same SN.

Select Unlock Request
New Unlock Request
Custom or Zone? (I chose Zone because it was an entire airport that the RC club flies in) EDIT for a place within a red zone (near an airport) I was instructed to change this to a Custom Unlock Request not a Zone Request
Select Devices (your drone previously entered), select SN (drop-down next to Devices)
Select Pilot
Select Zone on the map (you click on the map and it draws a circle that you can adjust). Enter a max altitude, Enter a date/time period (3 days max)
Enter a reason (I said that the R/C club is based at the airport) EDIT I needed to upload an approval letter from the airport manager "We do these for the realtors all the time"
(when the letter came I changed it to a pdf so I could upload it)  I also uploaded my Pt107 (US UAS certificate).
Submit. EDIT - they knew I was having problems so via email I notified them of this and within minutes Fly-Safe had approved it.

The earlier application was accepted instantly but would not allow flight so I contacted Fly-Safe  (flysafe@dji.com) and they told me it was because it was within a red zone (I suggest they need to fix this because it meant driving to and from the airport several times to figure why it would not fly when the Unlock Request plainly said "Approved" and "Valid".)

To upload the data to the drone:

The drone and the controller must be on, and connected to each other.
The controller must have a wifi connection.  
On the controller, swipe down from the top, twice.  Click Wifi to see if connected.  If not connected click the hexagon top right of this screen, Network and Internet; select a wifi and enter the PW.  Make sure that Wifi switch is on.

Three dots top right ...
About button top right
Fly Safe Data "Check for Updates"  (might as well update the Firmware above it while you are here)

Safety button top left
Scroll down to Unlock Geo Zones
Import to Aircraft, look for License Successfully Imported

PS
The drone battery gets extremely hot so you might work quickly.
I think you have to Unlock the Geo Zones each time you re-start the drone because it seems to loose them whenever I restart it.
2023-7-31
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

Flight was prevented, this error code:

I can see the license #, it's imported to the drone.

Code 3000006
2023-7-31
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

Images
IMG_2296.jpeg
IMG_2295.jpeg
IMG_2294.jpeg
2023-7-31
Use props
Rej
lvl.4
Flight distance : 279692 ft
Canada

Any area in red you are not able to self unlock, you would have to include some paper work proof with your request, which does not receive approval right away like the blue or pink areas.  The Bruce Grey Health Centre Heliport airspace is visible on transport Canada maps as restricted airspace which is near Kincardine airport. When you did the request was your pin drop on the blue area or red?
2023-8-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

DaveInTexas Posted at 7-31 08:51
In case anyone runs across this thread looking for unlocking answers, here is the simplified version that I wrote up as I was doing it.

Go to fly-safe.dji.com/unlock/unlock-request/list

Hi, I come from the other post. Can we have your SN and the coordinates applied for unlocking? Or you are advised to contact our fly safe teams for help.  
2023-8-2
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

Rej Posted at 8-1 15:32
[view_image] Any area in red you are not able to self unlock, you would have to include some paper work proof with your request, which does not receive approval right away like the blue or pink areas.  The Bruce Grey Health Centre Heliport airspace is visible on transport Canada maps as restricted airspace which is near Kincardine airport. When you did the request was your pin drop on the blue area or red?

I have annotated your image with the letter "F" to indicate the location of the R/C Field.
When I sent in the application, I included a link to the map of the field location provided on the R/C website:

http://kincardinecloudbusters.ca/Fieldmap.html

Here is their website:
http://kincardinecloudbusters.ca/

This is clearly a long-standing field that has an agreement with the airport management to conduct flights in that location.

What I really do not understand is why I was given an unlock license with a "Valid" notice but still cannot fly.
Field.png
2023-8-2
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

It’s difficult to see the Valid notice, so I drew yellow lines around it.
You can see the dates.
IMG_2309.jpeg
2023-8-2
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-2 04:20
Hi, I come from the other post. Can we have your SN and the coordinates applied for unlocking? Or you are advised to contact our fly safe teams for help.
I looked for a link to support but could not find - how do I contact the FlySafe Teams?

1581F4XFA22BVML7VD8J

44° 12' 02" N
81° 35' 56" W

in decimals:

2023-8-2
Use props
Rej
lvl.4
Canada

Please keep us posted on the outcome; curious on length of time if you manage to get your drone to go airborne at that particular R/C field.  I agree that it is weird to have apparent approval from your RC screen and uploaded to your drone for a red DJI GEO zone.  Maybe they will want something more formal then just a picture of the R/C field.  Their FAQ has the following statement:

While looking up this topic, I wasn't aware that they were also imposing height restrictions ( some areas 60 meters) and automated control manoeuvres in their other GEO zones on the approach/departure ends that were well outside of the red restricted areas. Info at this link Flying in Geo Zones and here Airport GEO Zones

My location is near an aerodrome and my usual flying is within DJI blue GEO zone, I hate it when I head out and forgot to self unlock  or upload the authorization to the drone. I wish I could do it for 30 days vice only 3 days at a time.
2023-8-2
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

Rej Posted at 8-2 12:42
Please keep us posted on the outcome; curious on length of time if you manage to get your drone to go airborne at that particular R/C field.  I agree that it is weird to have apparent approval from your RC screen and uploaded to your drone for a red DJI GEO zone.  Maybe they will want something more formal then just a picture of the R/C field.  Their FAQ has the following statement:

[view_image]
Thanks lvl.2
I have updated the instructions I posted above,
I *think* I have a good license now.
I hope to know tonight if it works or not.
I did have to get a letter from airport management, convert to a pdf and upload to Fly-safe

I am surprised that the manufacturer is taking on the role of drone policing.
I realize there are yahoos out there that need policing.
However in this case for example I am flying at a recognized R/C club site co-located with an airport.
They have flown for decades off this field without issue.  
So, there I am at the field and everyone is buzzing around but I need approval from China to fly!
It seems like a big responsibility with downsides for them.
Perhaps looking at the big picture; drone success as a hobby, I can justify it - zero accidents means wider acceptance of drones.  
Just seems odd to have people 7000mi away in a foreign country telling me what I cannot do!

Edit:
The drone flies at the airport!
2023-8-2
Use props
Rej
lvl.4
Canada

DaveInTexas Posted at 8-2 14:06
Thanks lvl.2
I have updated the instructions I posted above,
I *think* I have a good license now.

Congrats with getting-er-done.  
Ya, I feel your pain with big brother's over the shoulder approach especially from outside the country and painting everyone with the same brush!  But like you said safety & liability is in their vested ineterest & can't default them for that.
The aerodrome near me has a control airspace that extends out 22 kms from the tower, yes 12 nautical miles! That is 44 kms from one end to the other.  So that is why I ventured over to the DJI mini 3 at below 250 grams. Everything else R/C I have built since the 80s weight in at way above 250 gr and thus I can't readily get airborne for evening flights without jumping thru hoops.  Time to go back full circle to control line models, LoL
2023-8-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

DaveInTexas Posted at 8-2 05:19
I looked for a link to support but could not find - how do I contact the FlySafe Teams?

1581F4XFA22BVML7VD8J

Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know did you open the Unlocking License? Please find it on Aircraft Unlocking Licenses Page and make sure you have good GPS signals.
2023-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules