11420 30 2023-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jdemay
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44790 ft
France

Hi all,

Super disappointed in the actual range of my new Mavic Classic 3. In suburban area I can’t go beyond 600m and it reaches just 1km in rural areas.

Apparently it’s because the drone is in CE mode (I live in France).

Anyone with experience switching to Mavic 3 Classic from CE to FCC (US) mode ? Apparently with the FCC mode the power of the transmission is increased enabling longer flying distances.

Thanks in advance
2023-8-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We are sorry that it does not support manually switching among FCC, CE, and SRRC. The aircraft will identify the country and region where it locates according to the condition of the mobile device and the GPS of the aircraft, and switch between FCC, CE and SRRC in accordance with local laws and regulations.
2023-8-7
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-7 02:47
Hello, there. We are sorry that it does not support manually switching among FCC, CE, and SRRC. The aircraft will identify the country and region where it locates according to the condition of the mobile device and the GPS of the aircraft, and switch between FCC, CE and SRRC in accordance with local laws and regulations.

Understand that, but apparently it’s possible to makes changes to the Drone (mod chip) to force it to always use the FCC mode. The CE mode on the classic 3 makes it almost entirely useless.
2023-8-7
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-7 02:47

For instance

https://www.drone-tweaks.com/product-page/fcc-fly-ios
2023-8-7
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Call DGAC or 17. They will explain you how to do.
2023-8-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

jdemay Posted at 8-7 02:52
Understand that, but apparently it’s possible to makes changes to the Drone (mod chip) to force it to always use the FCC mode. The CE mode on the classic 3 makes it almost entirely useless.

We are sorry that we do not recommend self-modification. May we know the average transmission range or the maximum range you tested?  
2023-8-7
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

I’m loosing the.connection and triggering a return to home around 1km when flying in a rural area with a few houses, and 500 to 700 meters in more densely populated area. I’m looking for other drone users who have been able to modify their drone to switch from CE to FCC mode.
2023-8-7
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

LV_Forestry Posted at 8-7 03:20

I don’t think the DGAC has any expertise on DJI drones
2023-8-7
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

jdemay Posted at 8-7 05:08
I don’t think the DGAC has any expertise on DJI drones

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/a ... en-toute-securite#!
2023-8-7
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

LV_Forestry Posted at 8-7 05:23
https://youtu.be/t2F1rNtfk08

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/actualites/drones-de-loisirs-volez-en-toute-securite#!

This video doesn’t really me adress my concern. The drone is advertised on the the DJI French website as having a max range of 15kms when it reality it maxes out at 1 Km. Understand 15km is under ideal condition with no obstacles or radio interference, but the difference between the advertised values and the real life values is really significant.

Switching to FCC mode seems like a good way to improve the range.

Millions of DJI customers in North America are enjoying the FCC mode safely.
2023-8-7
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

If it can help other Dji customers based in Europe.

Check this out
https://www.djircfcc.com/

Apparently it cost just 70$ a small price to pay in order to make this 1700€ investment somehow useful
2023-8-7
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

jdemay Posted at 8-7 05:36
This video doesn’t really me adress my concern. The drone is advertised on the the DJI French website as having a max range of 15kms when it reality it maxes out at 1 Km. Understand 15km is under ideal condition with no obstacles or radio interference, but the difference between the advertised values and the real life values is really significant.

Switching to FCC mode seems like a good way to improve the range.

First, in CE the capacity is announced at 8km.

Secondly, it is clearly mentioned at the bottom of the product page on the official DJI website that it is possible to obtain this range under certain conditions.

Then you are subject to few rules. When I read, "Paris region", "more than 1km", "switch from CE to FCC"... There are a lot of things wrong with that.

Already you should know that Paris and its suburbs are strictly regulated regarding the use of drones. Go see the geoportal site that I recommended to you above.

In "open category" you must always have the drone in sight. The CE transmission mode is powerful enough to send the drone far enough, at least until it is too small to lose sight of.
The overall idea is to keep the situation awarness of the environment. In France, more particularly in the Paris region, the biggest danger is helicopters. They can pop up out of nowhere at any time.

In case of contact, the remote pilot is 100% responsible.
Aggravating circumstance:
-Flight with the drone out of the field of vision
-Fly over populated areas
-Having a machine with FCC standard instead of CE invalidates any guarantee. I assume that you have legal protection associated with an insurance contract, well by making this modification you renounce it.

In short, all the attitudes that bring wind to the mills of those who write and vote for increasingly restrictive laws.

This is a user friendly, public support forum. Not a place that gathers drone bandits. No one here can stop you from doing what you want, you take responsibility. We're just here to inform you, and it's done.

Once again :
AlphaTango | Ministères Écologie Énergie Territoires (ecologie.gouv.fr)
Géoportail (geoportail.gouv.fr)

And BTW, despite what FCC user can say, the difference is not that huge. If there are obstacles, trees, buildings... The RC link will still be degraded.

2023-8-7
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

jdemay Posted at 8-7 05:38
If it can help other Dji customers based in Europe.

Check this out

Relaying this kind of website is irresponsible. It looks like phishing.
Paying $70 to break the law, to gain 100m range, to lose the drone's warranty...

I hope other users will be able to make the right decision.
2023-8-7
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

From the Dji French website. Again I was under the assumption that this forum was a place for drone users to be sharing information about their drones. And unless I’m mistaken I don’t have the feeling that planes in the US are falling out of the sky because of the extraordinarily powerful FCC signal coming out of DJI drones.

IMG_6003.jpeg
2023-8-7
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

jdemay Posted at 8-7 06:14
From the Dji French website. Again I was under the assumption that this forum was a place for drone users to be sharing information about their drones. And unless I’m mistaken I don’t have the feeling that planes in the US are falling out of the sky because of the extraordinarily powerful FCC signal coming out of DJI drones.

1.JPG
DJI Mavic 3 Classic - Specs - DJI

Again, you are free to do whatever you want.

Nobody told you that FCC mode brings down planes. Carefully re-read post Nr 12.

If you need further explanation don't hesitate to ask.

2023-8-7
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

I trust the FCC, and I’m sure that the FCC is staffed with plenty of very qualified professionals, and that I will be able to operate my drone in a safe and responsible way, once it becomes FCC compliant

I’ll make sure to share my experience including the new observed range in this forum once I have made the change. .
2023-8-7
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

jdemay Posted at 8-7 06:38
I trust the FCC, and I’m sure that the FCC is staffed with plenty of very qualified professionals, and that I will be able to operate my drone in a safe and responsible way, once it becomes FCC compliant

I’ll make sure to share my experience including the new observed range in this forum once I have made the change. .

I think you do not understand well, I will write it to you more clearly:

The FCC is banned in Europe. It is possible to apply for a license.
https://www.arcep.fr/

I don't know anyone who has one, and especially no one who uses the FCC for professional reasons.
I invite you to look at the specs of the official website which speak about the interference with FCC. It's not miraculous:
1.JPG

2023-8-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

600m is perfect.   No way you can see the drone that far away.
2023-8-7
Use props
djiuser_gn7GAZGeyvDH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74879 ft
Greece

DAFlys Posted at 8-7 07:48
600m is perfect.   No way you can see the drone that far away.

when u pay a serius amount of money for 8 Km  u expect to see something very close to 8 km. If it was written on the package that is was for 600 meters i wouldn't give that amount of money. It would be my choice as simple as that.
2023-9-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

djiuser_gn7GAZGeyvDH Posted at 9-22 09:23
when u pay a serius amount of money for 8 Km  u expect to see something very close to 8 km. If it was written on the package that is was for 600 meters i wouldn't give that amount of money. It would be my choice as simple as that.

From the manual - Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference) 15 km (FCC), 8 km (CE/SRRC/MIC) Measured in an unobstructed environment free of interference. The above data shows the farthest communication range for one-way, non-return flights under each standard. During flight, pay attention to RTH reminders in the DJI Fly app.

You do understand the meaning of MAX? And unobstructed, free of interference?

2023-9-22
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-22 09:43
From the manual - Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference) 15 km (FCC), 8 km (CE/SRRC/MIC) Measured in an unobstructed environment free of interference. The above data shows the farthest communication range for one-way, non-return flights under each standard. During flight, pay attention to RTH reminders in the DJI Fly app.

It's an endless struggle.
We'll explain it each time, but each time there's a smarter guy to bring back the topic.
Let them go ask their local civil aviation and police why their drone is not transmitting at 8km.
2023-9-22
Use props
djiuser_gn7GAZGeyvDH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74879 ft
Greece

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-22 09:43
From the manual - Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference) 15 km (FCC), 8 km (CE/SRRC/MIC) Measured in an unobstructed environment free of interference. The above data shows the farthest communication range for one-way, non-return flights under each standard. During flight, pay attention to RTH reminders in the DJI Fly app.

8 km (CE/SRRC/MIC) Measured in an unobstructed environment free of interference... ofc i understand but when you follow all the above  and  u choose a place  with no houses . no cables,  no mountains just a simple valley 4 km distance and you see at 800 meters lose 1 line of signal and at 2000 meters u see red signal how u  call it? I realy need to know cause i am new.. Thanks
2023-9-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_gn7GAZGeyvDH Posted at 9-22 10:07
8 km (CE/SRRC/MIC) Measured in an unobstructed environment free of interference... ofc i understand but when you follow all the above  and  u choose a place  with no houses . no cables,  no mountains just a simple valley 4 km distance and you see at 800 meters lose 1 line of signal and at 2000 meters u see red signal how u  call it? I realy need to know cause i am new.. Thanks

There are lots of different types of interference. Not all come from houses.
2023-9-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 9-22 09:52
It's an endless struggle.
We'll explain it each time, but each time there's a smarter guy to bring back the topic.
Let them go ask their local civil aviation and police why their drone is not transmitting at 8km.

Never thought of it that way. But you are right.
2023-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_gn7GAZGeyvDH Posted at 9-22 09:23
when u pay a serius amount of money for 8 Km  u expect to see something very close to 8 km. If it was written on the package that is was for 600 meters i wouldn't give that amount of money. It would be my choice as simple as that.

Sorry you dont like to follow the law.
2023-9-22
Use props
djiuser_ZZ6LxZuhEADY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221624 ft
United Kingdom

@jdemay experiencing your pain! I am in the US at the moment and the max range my avata2 can do is about 1km. I am researching about the FCC hack myself. Let me know and maybe we can update each other on how it went
5-9 11:39
Use props
djiuser_ZZ6LxZuhEADY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221624 ft
United Kingdom

jdemay Posted at 2023-8-7 06:38

@jdemay experiencing your pain! I am in the US at the moment and the max range my avata2 can do is about 1km. I am researching about the FCC hack myself. Let me know and maybe we can update each other on how it went
5-9 11:40
Use props
jdemay
lvl.1
France

If you are located in the US, I would think your drone would switch automatically to FCC mode based on the location?
5-9 23:39
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

jdemay Posted at 5-9 23:39
If you are located in the US, I would think your drone would switch automatically to FCC mode based on the location?

He's trolling, don't feed the troll
5-10 02:28
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 2023-8-7 03:20

lol :-)

I wonder why CE mode make it useless, are you flying a Classic in Specific or BVLOS?
5-10 03:12
Use props
SkyQuadEye
lvl.1

Iceland

Since FCC transmission is illegal in France, I would just fly within visual sight when you are in the city. There are ways to boost the signal, but they all void the warranty or are circumventing local laws as far as I know
yesterday 10:12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules