Confirmed: Digital zoom is LOSSLESS for video!
1155 6 2023-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Darrell B.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 342313 ft
United States

I've been relentlessly searching the internet, trying to discover if digital zoom could indeed be lossless. I found nothing about it.

So, after thorough testing myself, with a resolution chart, I can confirm that it is—up to 2x!

Please note, this discovery pertains to video ONLY, not still photos. With still images, using digital zoom will inevitably degrade resolution. However, since the sensor's resolution surpasses 4K, we can crop into the sensor while still recording in 4K, maintaining full resolution in the process.

2023-8-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is partially true.
You will lose some resolution because you only use a smaller portion of the lens, so there is less resolving power.
(assuming the resolving power of the lens is the limiting factor, not the sensor, which was true in the DJI drones I tested with digital zoom)
2023-10-20
Use props
Darrell B.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 342313 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 10-20 12:20
This is partially true.
You will lose some resolution because you only use a smaller portion of the lens, so there is less resolving power.
(assuming the resolving power of the lens is the limiting factor, not the sensor, which was true in the DJI drones I tested with digital zoom)

YES, YES, YES!!  Discovered this myself while still testing, and I was confused until I realized the lens itself was the weak link.  

I still use this digital zoom, but cap it at about 1.5 or so.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  There is very little information out there about this.
2023-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Darrell B. Posted at 10-20 12:29
YES, YES, YES!!  Discovered this myself while still testing, and I was confused until I realized the lens itself was the weak link.  

I still use this digital zoom, but cap it at about 1.5 or so.

True. Very few people know (or seem to care) about the combination of resolution and lens resolving power. And the second one is very hard to measure and depends on a lot of things (so measuring in a lab is not the whole story)
But the end of the story is that you lose resolving power when using a smaller portion of the lens.
2023-10-20
Use props
Victor Lin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16182838 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm surprised by this result. I have the Mini 4 Pro with the latest firmware as of 1/20/2024 and the 2x digital zoom in video is definitely NOT lossless, and it's supposed to use the same sensor as the Mini 3 Pro, correct?
1-19 18:17
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Victor Lin Posted at 1-19 18:17
I'm surprised about this result. I have the Mini 4 Pro with the latest firmware as of 1/20/2024 and the 2x digital zoom in video is definitely NOT lossless, and it's supposed to use the same sensor as the Mini 3 Pro, correct?

This is all wrong. The Mini 3 and Mini 4 have lossy digital zoom. I have both of these drones, the digital zoom on them is the same and unfortunately reduces the resolution. There is no point in using it to record video, it is better to enlarge it in the editor. Makes sense only for observation during flight.
1-20 01:42
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

I'm sorry but you either have a very small and bad screen or a very beefy TV that does super sampling on the fly so you don't see the difference.
1-20 02:58
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules