Updated information for Canadians
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Last June I posted information about Canadian taxes and import duties, and explained how Canadians could save up to $300 by purchasing directly from DJI.  Here is the link to that original thread . . . http://forum.dji.com/thread-19852-1-1.html

Since then the Canadian dollar has nose-dived and DJI has introduced new products.  Depending on the product and province of residence, Canadians can now save up to $439 by purchasing directly from DJI.  Here are some examples . . .

P3 Standard                    DJI: $799USD = $1052CDN            Price in Canada w taxes = $1177               DJI savings = $125
P3 Advanced                     DJI: $999USD = $1314CDN            Price in Canada w taxes = $1511               DJI savings = $197
P3 Professional                   DJI: $1259USD = $1657CDN          Price in Canada w taxes = $1905               DJI savings = $248
P3 Standard Combo             DJI: $1059USD = $1393CDN         Price in Canada w taxes = $1623                DJI savings = $230
P3 Advanced Combo            DJI: $1678USD = $2208CDN          Price in Canada w taxes = $2519                DJI savings = $311
P3 Professional Combo         DJI: $1938USD = $2550CDN          Price in Canada w taxes = $2911                DJI savings = $361

These calculations assume a 12% tax rate in BC.  In Alberta and the Territories your tax rate is lower, but in many other provinces the tax rate is higher than BC and your savings will be more substantial (e.g. save up to $439 in Nova Scotia and Quebec).

As stated in my original post, it is not my intention to discourage anyone from purchasing from a local dealer, if you are lucky enough to have access to one.  But if you are buying online anyway, the savings from DJI can be substantial, because the taxes and duties are included in the price.  This is confirmed by DJI at https://store.dji.com/help/shipping/faq (see the answer to question #5).

2015-8-31
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

Perhaps saving initially, but I suspect Canada has a similar tax law as here in the US, whereas at years end when filing tax returns you must claim and pay at that time. Here in the states there is a question that  must be answered, " have you purchased from a retailer that did not collect sales tax?"
Taxes included in the price?? China does not collect taxes from US residents. DO they in Canada?

Duties are included? Not sure of that.......
2015-8-31
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-31 15:14
Perhaps saving initially, but I suspect Canada has a similar tax law as here in the US, whereas at y ...

I have purchased two Phantoms in the last year and this information is based on my experience, not hearsay or speculation.

I'm not sure how it works in the USA, but in Canada the courier collects the taxes and duties before you get your package.  The only way around it is if the shipper has a GST account and prepays the taxes.  That's exactly what DJI does, and why it is such a great deal.  See the original post (link above) where I posted scans of the invoices confirming that taxes and duties were prepaid by DJI.

It is my understanding that DJI does this for other countries too, such as prepaying the VAT in the UK.  However, because they have higher tax rates, DJI compensates by adjusting prices.  If you visit the DJI UK website, you will notice that the prices are higher and you have to order more before you get free shipping.

If you live in a state like Alaska or Oregon with no sales tax, I doubt you would save much.  But in jurisdictions with high sales taxes, like most of Canada, buying direct can really add up to considerable savings.
invoice.jpg
2015-8-31
Use props
djiuser_0CJR4O0
lvl.4

Canada

Hey Rob, I should only pay what i'm billed on DJI site? So it trully is the price listed with taxes and duty taxes included? I live in Quebec
2018-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules