Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Charging hub . . . very nice, but room for improvement
1773 8 2015-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

My P3 battery charging hub arrived today, so I thought I would post a few pics and provide my first impressions.

The charging hub is very nicely built and smaller than I thought it would be . . . small enough to throw in your case and carry with you.  It connects to the charger that came with your P3 and charges up to four batteries, one at a time.  It starts with the battery that has the most charge, getting you ready to fly as soon as possible.

If you look carefully at the pics below, you will see a warning printed onto the side of the unit, a warning that is repeated in the instructions . . . . "When charging more than one intelligent flight battery, distribute them as evenly as possible among the charging slots."

Unfortunately, DJI doesn't explain what they mean by as evenly as possible.  See the pics below for an example using two batteries . . . all four examples are distributed as evenly as possible, but which is correct, and why does it matter?  Perhaps DJI could improve the instructions with reference to ports.  For example, when charging one battery, use port x.  When charging two batteries, use ports x and y, etc.

The other thing that would be nice to see is a choice between storage/maintenance charge, standby charge and full charge.  The maintenance setting would allow you to leave four batteries on the charger forever, and keep them at the optimum level for long life.  The standby charge would bring them up to 65 or 70%, so they are as close to ready as possible, without the risk of storing them at too high a charge (remember, it's not good to store these at 100%, and they will automatically discharge to about 65% at the programmed time).  The final setting (top-up), would allow you to fully charge your batteries as quickly as possible when you are ready to go flying (basically starting at 65 or 70%, instead of 15-20%).

Obviously, it's easy enough to manually remove the batteries from the charging hub when they flash 3 lights instead of 4, and top them up when you are ready to go flying.  But if you're going to manually monitor your batteries to charge them only to a certain percentage, you can do that already.  The whole point of spending $90 on a charging hub (in my opinion) should be to allow additional, hands-free, automatic options, depending on when you next intend to go flying.  . . .  Putting the bird away for winter?  Set it on storage/maintenance mode.  Raining outside but planning to fly as soon as the skies clear up?  Set it on standby mode.  Want to go flying asap?  Go from standby to full charge with top-up mode in minutes instead of hours.

Those are my initial thoughts on this product.  Don't get me wrong . . . I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm not complaining.  The charging hub is a well built and useful little item . . . but it only does one thing when it could easily do more.  Perhaps future firmware updates will introduce additional functionality.

01.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG

ports 1 and 2

ports 1 and 2

ports 1 and 4

ports 1 and 4

ports 2 and 3

ports 2 and 3

ports 3 and 4

ports 3 and 4
10.JPG
2015-8-31
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

I like the skins on your batteries!  Those are pretty awesome!  

About your post, I agree with you!  We have one of the most technically advanced pieces of machinery made for the public and your desires shouldn't be that far off from being able to happen!  I know DJI has a million and 1 things on their plate, but this, IMO, would be a very positive thing to bring to them.  Glad you like the hub as it though!  Thought of getting one a little later down the line myself!
2015-8-31
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

+1 on being able to choose the charge type. It would be great if we could specify what type of charge we wanted.
2015-9-1
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

jayhkr Posted at 2015-8-31 21:33
I like the skins on your batteries!  Those are pretty awesome!  

About your post, I agree with you! ...

Thanks.  I found the skins on eBay.
2015-9-1
Use props
DJI-Bruce
lvl.2

Hong Kong

hi Rob, very useful suggestions. We'd seriously consider your suggestions in developing next generation charging hubs.
2015-9-7
Use props
SkyEye
New

Hong Kong

Good idea.
2015-9-7
Use props
paul2hamilton
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Being NEW...Am I right in saying that to use the Charging Hub you need to use the charger that came with the P3, does it not have its own mains lead and charger independantly.
2015-9-7
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

British Virgin Islands

paul2hamilton Posted at 2015-9-7 12:12
Being NEW...Am I right in saying that to use the Charging Hub you need to use the charger that came  ...

Yes, that's correct.
2015-9-8
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Bruce Posted at 2015-9-7 03:47
hi Rob, very useful suggestions. We'd seriously consider your suggestions in developing next generat ...

Thanks DJI-Bruce.  Nice to see that you guys monitor these forums and make note of suggestions.
2015-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules