Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Go - Android version and high data/battery usage
12Next >
9375 55 2015-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

I normally use my iPad Air with the Inspire, so my Nexus 5 only has the DJI Go app installed as a backup.

I haven't opened it in many months.

However, for the last few weeks I've been noticing severe battery drain on my Nexus 5, and sure enough, the biggest culprit was the DJI Go app. Not only that, it's using large amounts of of mobile data (I'm on a limited plan).

Someone should check into this, as this app is definitely behaving badly, and must be from a recent update.
2015-9-1
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would recommend that you put your device in Airplane mode.  Turn all other app off and you should be fine.  
2015-9-1
Use props
JonMarkel
lvl.1

United States

I've got a Nexus 4 and I'm experiencing the same behavior. Being an older phone the battery was kind of marginal to begin with so with DJI Go using 40+% of the battery in the background certainly doesn't help (FYI, this is not while flying my Phantom but completely from background usage). It is also a big data hog as it is uploading a ton of data, again not while flying or even soon after.
2015-9-16
Use props
mail.syman
New

I am having drain problems as well. DJI Go updated last night but the battery drain is still there. (on the phone) I gave the APP 1 star on the play store and my rating was removed twice  !!!!

If DJI think they can cover this up then think again i will give it 1 star every hour if i have to.
2015-10-1
Use props
newblueroom
New
Canada

Samsung SG4. Also have sever battery drain from DJI GO app, even with the app closed and the process stopped from app manager. Also tried re-booting the phone. DJI GO just keeps running. I could watch the charge drop away.

However, I tried flipping to airplane mode and then back to network and the DJI GO actually seems to stop running in background. Obviously, this is after flying etc. I still need to verify, but toggling in and out of airplane mode seems to be a work around for Android users until the glitch is resolved. Easier than deleting and re-installing DJI GO between flights.

2015-10-3
Use props
Zells.jacob
New

United States

I am having problems with the DJI GO app (2.4.1) on my HTC One M8 smart phone.  It is draining my phones battery *immensely* while I am not even using the app and have even force closed it from the task manager. Two hours this morning, while I'm at work (and other days as well before I disable the app) it has used 75% of the  25% drainage of my battery, all while the screen of my phone is OFF. WTF is that, DJI??? I have to disable the app while I am not using it to save my phones battery. Placing my phone in airplane mode is not a solution, it's a bandaid that should not even be suggestion when I am not even wanting to use the app!
What is the app doing in the background on my phone that is taking so much processing power while my phone screen is off and the app totally closed??

2015-11-30
Use props
orlee
New

Israel

Same issue here. What I do to resolve :  logout , then go to application manager and force stop the dji task.
2015-12-7
Use props
travis5550
lvl.1

United States

I have a Nexus 6 running Android 6 - this is my primary phone and also the device I use while flying.  The DJI app has a lot of awesome features, but it is also KILLING my battery (while not being open) as others have mentioned.  Attached is a screen shot showing 35% battery use since my last charge. This is a deal-breaker and needs to be fixed ASAP.  I would expect background data use should also be very minimal if any.

Screenshot_20151215-142214.png
2015-12-15
Use props
Hansen
lvl.1

Denmark

Same issue here. Samsung Galaxy ALPHA, The DJI app is also KILLING my battery (while not being open) and use a lot of data.
Today after work finally the weather was god for a flight but the phone battery was drained, 54% by the DJI GO app.
A other question, why do the app need to be allowed to use phone calls and send messages, a pad whit only wifi will not be able to do this, so it cant be necessary for the app or the Phantom to work.

Found that under settings, sign out and then close the dji in task manager will stop it using the bat and data
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI GO app is very powerful and needs a lot of processing power to run. That's why some devices will not work, then just don't have enough processing power to the app. You should turn off all your background apps.
The app does not need data service, but to get current map data at your flying site then you need internet connection. If you don't have a date plan, then you can cache the maps before you go out flying somewhere.
2015-12-18
Use props
Hansen
lvl.1

Denmark

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-18 22:41
The DJI GO app is very powerful and needs a lot of processing power to run. That's why some devices  ...

Thanks for the answer, but you answer not the question, why use so much battery without having the program open, it's really drain all the battery at no time.
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Hansen Posted at 2015-12-20 21:16
Thanks for the answer, but you answer not the question, why use so much battery without having the ...

If you are draining a lot of power even without the app running then that means you have a lot of stuff running in the background.
2015-12-20
Use props
InsaneDiego
First Officer
Flight distance : 1284836 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-20 21:27
If you are draining a lot of power even without the app running then that means you have a lot of  ...

I think you missed the point Ken. I too have seen this on my Note 4 over the last week. I use my tablet to fly and I never opened the DJI Go app yet it consumed 35% of my battery in one afternoon. We are saying, just having the app on your device is all it takes. You don't have to actually use it.

That said, everything looks pretty good today finally. I'm trying to make sure that if I open the Go App on my phone that I immediately kill it so that it's not running in the background. If I can characterize it better then I'll post some information but in the meantime, I have also had severe battery drain in the last week which hasn't happened in the year I've owned my phone. The only thing new on it is the Go App so...
2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

A lot of your apps will still run in the background. If you go into the running apps of the application manager you will see lots of apps still running even though you cancelled the app. Even power cycling the phone or device will keep these apps running. If you have Facebook and look at that, it running over 300 megs even though you don't have the app running.
You need to go into those and "Force Stop" them.
2015-12-21
Use props
InsaneDiego
First Officer
Flight distance : 1284836 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-21 14:17
A lot of your apps will still run in the background. If you go into the running apps of the applicat ...

OK, I'm with you. I said everything looked fine today but in fact it's eaten up 11% of my battery today. The only thing I've done is clear the Pick Top 10 notification. I've done a Force Stop as you suggested, but now you are suggesting that if I open the app or reboot it's going to run again.

I can almost handle the "run the app" part, but if I reboot, I don't want it to open again. I have no need for that app to run on my Phone unless I need it. How can we force it to stay closed until needed?
2015-12-21
Use props
1320frank
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2624856 ft
United States

I wanted to see in more detail what the app was doing and why so much data transfer. I found it to be exporting my data out to the locations below.

IP Address                    Country                  Region                        City                               ISP
216.58.216.78          United States         California        Mountain View        Google Inc.

IP Address             Country                      Region          City              ISP
54.230.89.26           United States         Washington        Seattle        Amazon.com Inc

IP Address        Country                        Region           City                   ISP
23.23.77.11        United States         Virginia        Ashburn              Amazon.com Inc.

IP Address                  Country                    Region                City            ISP
66.175.220.9           United States         California        Fremont          Linode

IP Address                  Country                Region           City                     ISP
107.22.224.245        United States         Virginia        Ashburn           Amazon.com Inc.

IP Address        Country                    Region          City                                          ISP
54.83.40.211        United States   Virginia        Ashburn                  Amazon Technologies Inc.
2015-12-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

InsaneDiego Posted at 2015-12-22 11:42
OK, I'm with you. I said everything looked fine today but in fact it's eaten up 11% of my battery  ...

Go into your settings menu, then applications, then application manager,, then running.
Scroll down and you'll be surprised how much RAM is being used even though all your apps are closed.
Clock on the different apps that you wantt o close and tap STOP, or FORCE STOP.
2015-12-22
Use props
timmydjr
lvl.2
United States

I just started using my Note4 since my dad has my ipad air.  The DJI GO app has literally drained my battery in a way that has never been done.  Something has to be wrong.  I had my phone on Airplane, no blutooth, no wifi.  I hope they get this fixed as it is positively a negative problem
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

timmydjr Posted at 2016-1-8 03:15
I just started using my Note4 since my dad has my ipad air.  The DJI GO app has literally drained my ...

Question, after flying and your phone battery is pretty low, when you plug it into your home charger does the percentage jump back up very quickly or does it take the usual time to charge?
2016-1-7
Use props
will.peters
lvl.1

United States

I'm concerned that you guys haven't figured this out yet, It took me an order of magnitude longer to make a video demonstrating this issue then to figure out what the problem is.

Detailed video here:

Now that you know.. how long will it take to fix?
2016-1-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

will.peters Posted at 2016-1-11 17:50
I'm concerned that you guys haven't figured this out yet, It took me an order of magnitude longer to ...

I doubt that's the reason for cell battery dropping dramatically in a 5 minute flying session. It may some drain and data usage over the month as your stats show.
I know when when I go to the application manager DJI app along with Facebook, Pandora, and a slew of others seem to start on their own even after force quitting so it's not just the GO app.
I forwarded your video to a tech to look at as well.
I do know that the GO app takes tons of processing power to operate and during uses the same or maybe even more battery than watching a movie. But that's just how it is. And with always trying to restart in the background, I don't know.
2016-1-11
Use props
will.peters
lvl.1

United States

Ken - your missing the point. None of us are complaining about how much battery the app uses while the app is running. Everyone is this thread has been complaining about how much battery the app uses when its NOT running. I'm pretty sure the 5 minute flying session, phone turning off is an iPhone isssue - not Android.
2016-1-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

will.peters Posted at 2016-1-12 05:07
Ken - your missing the point. None of us are complaining about how much battery the app uses while t ...

There's threads in this forum about Android/IOS devices being fully charged and after flying the device is close to dead, then when plugged into a charger, immediately shows almost charged again. That's what I was talking about.
2016-1-12
Use props
Hansen
lvl.1

Denmark

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 18:17
There's threads in this forum about Android/IOS devices being fully charged and after flying the d ...

Hej Ken.
Thank you for your answers.
Unfortunately, I think you misunderstand the problem.

1. Turns off my phone.
2. Charging my phone fully up.
3. Turns my phone on.
4. Uses my phone normally, I do not use DJI GO.
5. Normally (before installation of DJI GO) my battery will last for about 30 hours but now suddenly only 10 hours.
6. Checking my phone's battery app in Properties, 54% used by DJI GO.

Note 54% without even having started or used DJI GO, that's the problem.
I have no trouble DJI GO uses a lot of battery and RAM when in use BUT 54% UNUSED.
Same problem on my tablet and on another phone.
I apologize for my bad English but now I feel that I have explained the problem as clearly as I can.

2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Hansen Posted at 2016-1-14 01:59
Hej Ken.
Thank you for your answers.
Unfortunately, I think you misunderstand the problem.

I understand your problem, most of your installed apps will run in the background and there's really nothing you can do about it.
If you look at your Facebook, Pandora, and other apps, they are all running in the background. Since you don't have the DJI GO app open and running I would think it would take the same power running in the background as any of the other apps.
I've even force stopped my background running apps (including the GO app) and they all somehow startup again. Don't know why but they all do.
2016-1-13
Use props
Hansen
lvl.1

Denmark

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-13 19:41
I understand your problem, most of your installed apps will run in the background and there's real ...

Of course you have background running aps, BUT IT IS ONLY DJI GO THAT DRAINS THE BATTERY 54%, in the same time other apps like facebook use 3% even that they are actually running.

You think DJI GO drain the same batteri as other apps, NO sorry DJI GO 54% Facebook 3% thats very BIG difference.

I do not want to sound not polite but please read what we all write.
It uses much more power than any other app even though it is not even in use !!!

DJI GO (NOT RUNNING, NOT USED) = 54% of full battery konsumtions (for no use)
ALL other apps (inkl. calls, foto, facebook, internet use, mail services etc. etc. = 46% (100% - 54%)

So PLEASE forget about all the other apps, this is about DJI GO draining our batteris, OK?
Please forget about force stop, we all know that way, you can even uninstall DJI GO and sell your drone, problem solved!!!

We are looking for answers about the DJI GO APP, WHY drain the battery when not even used?
And at the same time we urges DJI to solve this problem by letting them know that there is a problem.

2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Hansen Posted at 2016-1-14 04:50
Of course you have background running aps, BUT IT IS ONLY DJI GO THAT DRAINS THE BATTERY 54%, in th ...

Understand, I've sent an email to tech. That's all I can do.
2016-1-13
Use props
Hansen
lvl.1

Denmark

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-13 23:13
Understand, I've sent an email to tech. That's all I can do.

Ok, Thanks Ken.
Hope they find a fix for this.
2016-1-14
Use props
will.peters
lvl.1

United States

In case anyone is wondering, the update on January 19, 2016, v2.5.1 does not fix this issue.
2016-1-19
Use props
Ppppppp
New

United States

I don't suppose someone has a link to an older .apk file that doesn't have this problem?  DJIs app development team should be ashamed of themselves for not doing better QA and for taking so long to fix this.
2016-1-23
Use props
ricardoghion
Captain
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

problem solved in the app 2.5.2
2016-1-24
Use props
will.peters
lvl.1

United States

ricardoghion@ho Posted at 2016-1-24 07:47
problem solved in the app 2.5.2

I haven't found any 2.5.2 release on android or apple. is there a beta available somewhere?
2016-1-24
Use props
ricardoghion
Captain
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

will.peters Posted at 2016-1-25 05:50
I haven't found any 2.5.2 release on android or apple. is there a beta available somewhere?

sorry 2.5.1
2016-1-24
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265830 ft
United States

Add my 2 cents in here, Samsung 6s running Android 5.1.1 and since installing the app the battery which would easily last 2 days with little use now lasts not even 8 hours and has to be plugged in. Also running the 2.5.1 app
2016-1-27
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.3
United States

So I have confirmed that the App appears to be draining the battery or using vast amounts of it. When I open the DJI app to use it, there is always 2 instances running for some reason. This weekend I installed ShutApp and now after using it I use that app to shut down the DJI app. This in turn has stopped the battery drain issue so far I am having.
2016-2-8
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-18 21:41
The DJI GO app is very powerful and needs a lot of processing power to run. That's why some devices  ...

How do you cache the maps on an Android device please?
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Old Geezer Posted at 2016-2-11 22:06
How do you cache the maps on an Android device please?

It's the same way as IOS, there's no on/off button on Android so it's always on.
2016-2-11
Use props
bigmouth.kwok
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Seems the last update only help a little bit.
I use LG G4, Android 6.0
The DJI Go app now still run in the background even I stop it. Same problem with old version.
Even I restart my phone, the app still drain the battery: Previous version 54%, new version 34%.
I finally have to uninstall the app to stop the battery drainage.
2016-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bigmouth.kwok@g Posted at 2016-2-16 23:02
Seems the last update only help a little bit.
I use LG G4, Android 6.0
The DJI Go app now still ru ...

If you look in your running apps you will see a lot of them start back up after closing. Close all of them then look again and they will restart.
2016-2-16
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.3
United States

So my solution to this is to install shutapp and force close all background apps. After confirming a force close on the DJI app stopped the battery drain issue. Install this and letting it force close this app the 1 or 2 others running has resolved my issue. Short and sweet 1 push of button and app force closed until I use it again next time.
2016-2-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules