9594 151 2015-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Platypus1965
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2854833 ft
  • >>>
United States

On a side note, I was flying on Mt Diablo State Park and was told by a park official that this was "illegal". I emailed the Supervising Ranger and asked for the ordinance that prohibited the use of UAVs at the park and this was the response:

I was forwarded your email regarding the use of drones at Mount Diablo State Park. Similar to the National Park System, drones are prohibited without special permission in many California State Parks by superintendent order.  The Department of Parks and Recreation is currently evaluating the adoption of state-wide regulations governing the use of drones.  At this time State Parks considers the use of drones  in the park an unsafe recreational activity. I have included this regulation.

CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
TITLE 14. NATURAL RESOURCES

DIVISION 3. DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION

California Code of Regulations  4319. Games and Recreational Activities.

No person shall engage in games or recreational activities that endanger the safety of persons, property, resources, or interfere with visitor activities except as permitted by the Department. No person shall hold, sponsor, lead, or otherwise have control over a game or recreational activity occurring wholly or partially within or on any property owned, operated or administered by the Department without an approved Special Event permit if any of the criteria set forth in section 4301(j) apply.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Dan Stefanisko
Supervising Ranger
Mount Diablo State Park

It's a shame that you cannot fly your drone over dry grassland in a California State Park.  Sigh.
2015-9-2
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

bill@northwoods Posted at 2015-9-2 18:55
Sorry but as I read this I can't help but breathe a sigh of relief that I am in Northern NH where fo ...

Live FREE or Die, brother!
2015-9-2
Use props
Zdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1805141 ft
  • >>>
United States

bill@northwoods Posted at 2015-9-2 03:55
Sorry but as I read this I can't help but breathe a sigh of relief that I am in Northern NH where fo ...

NH, don't breathe too deep.  Once a law is enacted in one area, it becomes easier for other politicians to try to follow suit.  
2015-9-2
Use props
Zdrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I hope everyone that is bitching on this forum has gone on the link and signed the email to the Governor.  You can sit around and complain all day but without action, you will lose.  I encourage all to sign and be counted...... then complain.  You're preaching to the choir on this forum.
2015-9-2
Use props
Zdrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Platypus1965 Posted at 2015-9-2 09:03
On a side note, I was flying on Mt Diablo State Park and was told by a park official that this was " ...

new to me.  Thanks for sharing.  I was getting ready to go fly on a state beach this morning.
2015-9-2
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Platypus1965 Posted at 2015-9-2 12:03
On a side note, I was flying on Mt Diablo State Park and was told by a park official that this was " ...

What they have spelled out doesn't specifically ban the use of UAV's.

If one were to use a broad interpretation of this regulation, fishing could be banned. Same for baseball, football, golf, or just about any sport that involves use of an object that requires physical excursion.

Can you sue the State over getting skin cancer?

This makes as much sense as the state of Maryland taxing the rain.
2015-9-2
Use props
lvl.4

United States

Looks like DJI needs to spend some of its money and lobby.      That's California for you though.  Doesn't make much buisiness sense to invest in the california economy and a huge distribustion center.   Probably should of invested in a state with better laws.   
2015-9-2
Use props
Platypus1965
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2854833 ft
  • >>>
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-2 11:05
What they have spelled out doesn't specifically ban the use of UAV's.

If one were to use a broad  ...

Yup. Some overzealous ranger simply deciding that drones are bad and deciding to interpret an ordinance to fit his/her personal beliefs.  
2015-9-2
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

I hope DJI and other drone manufactures are being proactive with lobbyists!  It's their finacial future.
2015-9-2
Use props
lvl.4

United States

mikedaniels Posted at 2015-9-2 13:32
I hope DJI and other drone manufactures are being proactive with lobbyists!  It's their finacial fut ...

Yup, DJI is going to have to spend some coin.  
2015-9-2
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

http://forum.dji.com/thread-29781-1-1.html

If your in the SF Bay Area you should read this post,  300 Feet!!
2015-9-2
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United States

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/328/256/case.html

The Supreme Court ruled that the air is a "public highway", thereby overruling the old law "whoever owns the soil, it is theirs up to Heaven and down to Hell". Just an interesting fact, not really sure how it all works into the US law over there
2015-9-2
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Platypus1965 Posted at 2015-9-2 14:32
Yup. Some overzealous ranger simply deciding that drones are bad and deciding to interpret an ordi ...

Time to start hitting the California Parks and Recreation folks with FIOA requests for persons injured while on park property and what the mechanism was that caused the injury.

I'd bet swing sets are high up there as well as getting hit with a baseball or football. Then there is golf. both the ball and the club. Ban it all.

Time to outlaw organized sports.
2015-9-2
Use props
AlmostTan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118665 ft
United States

The video I just posted yesterday is going viral on Facebook (currently at over 16k views and over 400 shares) and I didn't expect that at all.  Getting friend requests nonstop all day from strangers.

Anyways I edited the content and used it as a soapbox to preach about "drones" and put a link to the auto-email to send to the Governor.  Hope it at least helps.

2015-9-2
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

OK, QUICK question. I am REALLY confused and need to understand something about this law. I read the Bill and re-read it, and then read it again...

Doesn't this only apply if a property is DAMAGED, and the liability extends to the "drone" operator, and then only if he is below 350 feet AGL???

It is a terrible and stupid law, yes, but isn't only for damage liability? Now, don't be too hard on me for not understanding this particular overreach....just trying to understand it.

***EDIT***
Read some other material and now see that this is extending the definition of "tresspassing." Yeah, this is pretty lame.

2015-9-2
Use props
mgsf
lvl.1

United States

Gotta feel sorry for the "THEY are gonna take my guns" crowd. What a fearful way to live.

Is anyone really surprised that local and state governments have stepped up efforts to regulate the lower level NAS in response to the explosive growth of mass-marketed drones? Practically every non-pilot and their non-pilot brother owns one these days. "Here...hold my beer while I show you what my drone can do."

Any whining or gnashing of teeth when California or other States enacted legislation to keep law enforcement from sneaking a peek without a warrant? Nahhh...

Regulation of UAVs in the United States

MYOB by not flying over your neighbors property or other private property without permission and you should be fine.

PS. If you think your pea shooter will make any difference in a "revolution" these days, you might be a redneck. May as well be using sticks and stones.

Carry on.
2015-9-2
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-9-2 08:35
NH sounds like a great place to live but I'd leave for warmer climate in the winter.  Looks like a n ...

It is but you are right about the cold!  I spent two days last February photographing a Snow Mobile race. It got up to 7 degrees on the warmer of the two days.  I will give my Canon 5DIII credit though, it held up great in the cold.
2015-9-2
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

So...this extends the definition of "Trespassing" in California. Here is what I found:

California’s trespassing laws are laid out in the California Penal Code Section 602.8.
The law states that any person who enters onto private property that is enclosed or cultivated without written permission from the owner or authorized agent is guilty of trespassing. Further, uncultivated and unenclosed land with signs forbidding trespass “at intervals not less than three to the mile along all exterior roads and trails entering the land” is also considered trespassing. Offenders of the same land or contiguous of the same landowner are fined $75, $250 and charged with a misdemeanor for first, second and third offenses respectively.

So, when the the Governor signs this SB-142 thingie, the boundaries go UP by 350 feet and you no longer have to be a person.  I am NOT a lawyer, but can only conclude that your "drone" (not YOU) could get itself in trouble. Just Dumb. Good luck enforcing this one, Mr. Brown.
2015-9-2
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-9-2 16:38
So...this extends the definition of "Trespassing" in California. Here is what I found:

California’ ...

Hey, this became a new tax grab. Now instead of having a lot 50'X100' (5,000 square feet) for your house, you now and 50'X100X350'. You now have 1,750,000 cubic feet of property.

Imagine the new property tax bill.

Moonbeam Brown strikes again. If Marion Barry were still alive and lived there he would be re-elected for life.
2015-9-2
Use props
sasoto1
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-1 19:31
Funny, I don't have control of the aircraft that fly over my home.  The FAA does.  I don't remember  ...

A drone flying over you at a 100 feet might not be able to identify you.  LOL
2015-9-2
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-2 16:54
Hey, this became a new tax grab. Now instead of having a lot 50'X100' (5,000 square feet) for your ...

That would be awsome lol imagine the revenue from that new tax rate !
2015-9-2
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Phone call:

Hello, this is the Police Department, how can we assist you?

A drone just flew over my property without my permission!

Was there any damage or was anyone hurt, Sir?

No. But it is against the law!

Is the aircraft still there, Sir?

No, it flew by. And it was pretty high up. Maybe seventy five or a hundred feet. And kind of fast. I was in my yard when I saw it.

Can you describe the drone, Sir?

Yes. It was white, going pretty fast, and it was making a buzzing sound. I think it had four propellers or fans or something. And it had lights.

Lights, Sir?

Yes. Yes, it had these blinking yellow and red lights.

Should I send an officer to your location, Sir?

Well, I guess not. But next time for sure, because I'm going to wait in tree with my camera running so I can get the license number or something.
2015-9-2
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-9-2 17:20
Phone call:

More realistic version:

Phone call:

A drone fly over my property without my permission!

Was there any damage or was anyone hurt, Sir?

Yes, it disturbed my peace as i was bleaching my behind.

Is the aircraft still there, Sir?

No, it flew by.

Can you describe he drone, Sir?

Yes. It was white, going pretty fast, and was making a buzzing sound. I think it had four propellers or fans or something. And it had lights.

Lights, Sir?

Yes. Yes, it had these blinking yellow and red lights.

Should I send an officer to your location, Sir?

Yes, the wax paper is stuck to my face and i can't get it off.

Sir, do you need medical assistance?

Yes, i can't move and my heart is beating fast and i am sweating.

Sir, do you have any previous heart conditions?

No, its that damn drone gave me heart attack, it came out of nowhere.

Sir, calm down, help is on the way, stay on the phone with.

uhhhhh ok hhhhhh ok ok.
2015-9-2
Use props
louie.bellaphot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389741 ft

United States

Not from California (thank God!)  But I did tried to send the email from the link anyway.....did not work
Uh-Oh! This campaign is not available in your area. We've logged your information and will let you know when it's available to you!

Oh well, I tried.
2015-9-2
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

louie.bellaphot Posted at 2015-9-2 17:38
Not from California (thank God!)  But I did tried to send the email from the link anyway.....did not ...

Yes you have to live in California as it looks for your IP address, maybe if someone has a  VPN gateway for us to log in from and start sending letters from there.
2015-9-2
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-3 07:41
Yes you have to live in California as it looks for your IP address, maybe if someone has a  VPN ga ...

I plan on using the UFO hysteria to my advantage. Just trying to think of funny quips that will make the "believer" second guess themselves, or seem like a drunk, or crazy person.

-Better call Mulder and Scully. (Play X-Files theme)
-....and then the little green men came down, right?
-Flashing lights? You probably saw a plane? It hovered? Most likely a chopper. They are called NAV lights.
-What you saw was swamp gas, weather balloons, lenticular clouds, Venus/scintillation, temperate inversion, light bending, or a hoax
-Glug, Glug. (Make drinking action with hand, to imply the witness is a druggo)

Etc..

2015-9-2
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-2 18:04
I plan on using the UFO hysteria to my advantage. Just trying to think of funny quips that will ma ...

No we are getting on the weird side LOL
2015-9-2
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

Damn...I live in the Bay Area, and I wanted to take my P3P to Mt. Diablo...guess that's not happening.  I know BayFront County Park in Redwood City allows drones/RC planes and Helis, and BayLands Park in Sunnyvale also allows them but you have to pay $6 to get in...
2015-9-2
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

San Bruno Mountain County Park also allows them, but the ranger who I asked permission from said I could only fly it as long as I didn't "bother" any other park guests...that's fair I guess
2015-9-2
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

Keep in mind, these are all COUNTY parks, not State Parks...different set of rules and regulations
2015-9-2
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

My personal opinion on this matter is why doesn't the FAA do something like we do for a driver's license?  Have a booklet that clearly explains the FAA regulations (i.e. max 400ft, 5 mile radius no fly zone around airports, etc).   Have the Drone pilots take a written test AND a practical flight test and get 'drone license' and, perhaps, even have a registration for drones.   Then, if some official complains, you show them your drone license and drone registration to show you are 'legal' and as long as nobody was harmed, they should leave you alone and keep you away from the already ridiculously crowded court system.  Also, this give authority  the 'authority', if you will, to legally impose a punishment on any 'perps' that break the law.

Just for the record, I'm well aware of the exceptions you can apply for and registering your craft with the FAA, but the way the process is now and your requirement to have some type of pilot's license (i.e. sports license) is quite over the top for a drone operation.
2015-9-2
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-9-2 20:32
My personal opinion on this matter is why doesn't the FAA do something like we do for a driver's lic ...

That's actually where this is headed.  Written test, registration, place your N-number where it can be read easily, fly & enjoy.  Pervs will never register a drone cause they'll never actually use one - they use cell phones.

Then the government can make a few dollars in the process with registration fees cause in the end, that's all they want anyway.

2015-9-2
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

We really need to get away from all these hyped-up conspiracy theories.  The Government isn't trying to take away our flying freedom, or impose their ultimate power upon the people.  This is simply about pleasing the "angry voting mob".  The "angry voting mob" doesn't give a crap about drones landing on the White House lawn, or drones flying along the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, or flying too high, or flying near an airport.  None of that affects what the "angry voting mob" really cares about on a massive level - their civil liberties - in this case, their perceived right to privacy.

The media sells hype cause that sells advertising.  The uninformed "angry voting mob" gets all whipped up, and in order to stay in their job, Governors pass silly bills that more often than not, have zero real impact on the "angry voting mob's" concerns, but it sounds awesome on paper - the shiny object.  

This bill is also nothing more than a smoke screen.  We now have mandated water rationing in CA.  We will get fined on our water bill each month that our water usage goes beyond a certain amount shown on our water bill.  In general, the "angry voting mob" isn't as pissed about that as they are that a double standard has been set, which takes away their right to equal treatment, cause the private golf clubs who typically cater to the rich, powerful and famous can still water their grass [which in reality isn't true, but the "angry voting mob" thinks the golf courses aren't restricted - therefore, just like peeping tom drones, the news hypes and the mob believes].  This bill is simply a distraction from that issue; a slight-of-hand card trick to get you to look one way, while the magician pulls a fast one without you ever noticing.  

There are definitely some real issues with this bill, it's way too overreaching.  But the game is simple - pass the bill, get all the kudos, relieve some of the heat about the inequitable water rationing, wait until the newest hot topic de jure comes along, and when the FAA makes their final ruling on UAV's, then under the radar alter the bill to be more realistic and in-line with that FAA ruling.  And if the Governor gets caught altering the original bill, he can just shift blame to the FAA.  

So, until this all gets sorted out, and it will, just don't fly over your neighbor's yard at 35' and you should be fine.
2015-9-2
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-2 05:35
Technically we own the airspace above our home and to the center of the earth unless someone else  ...

Yes.
Anyone can buy a camcorder with mega 80x zoom, and he can violate someone else privacy much more than with a drone.
2015-9-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wanted to let everybody know that we have a lobbyist in DC and a Legislative Attorney.  My request here was made at their behest to try and counter the anti-drone forces.  We as a company are dedicated to the responsible use of our product by our owners.  However, many legislators have had a knee jerk reaction to the negative press on Drones.   Please support our sport whenever you can.  Those that have already responded, my personal thank you.
2015-9-3
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-2 11:35
Technically we own the airspace above our home and to the center of the earth unless someone else  ...

no you own the airspace up to 98 feet above your property, anything above that is fair game unless you put forth more paperork to claim more airspace.
according to the faa "public" airspace is above 500 feet, while UAVs are supose to be kept below 400, and cali is imposing a 350 foot floor? where exacly are you supose to fly?
2015-9-3
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I don't believe this is a sport!.

Bat
2015-9-3
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

Done, thank you for sharing!
2015-9-3
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

This is BS, the State is raising hell about drones while someone trespassing on my property can still sue me if they are injured?
2015-9-3
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

We brought this on ourselves.  Los Angeles airport is reporting "near misses" at 6,000 feet WTF?  We are hearing reports nearly daily and this is what it will do.  Nosey a-holes are flying over celeberties' property and taking picture of their private parties.

I know we enjoy this sport but these things are getting very dangerous.  I fear the day someone brings down a commercial aircraft killing dozens.  I am sure the pilot will claim they did not mean it.

Anyway keep handing out badges for the highest and longest and the most daring.
2015-9-3
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules